SBC/LS1 with R154, anyone done it?

MightyAl

Jun 5, 2005
Chesterfield, MO
Pressure plate is LS7 and I am still working on the clutch disc. I am waiting on my flywheel to arrive so I can make sure that they match up. Then I am going to send off the pp so that the clutch disc can be made. I am thinking about going with a full face feramic disc. My 4k ppm pass thru speedo sender showed up last night too. I need to document all my parts and pieces when I have everything.

As far as motor I have been bouncing around and would really like to go with the LQ9 as I think the 6.0L would give me all the power I need N/A. I might cut corners though and go with an LM7 or L33. The 5.3's are just so cheap that it is tough to go with anything else. The only pieces I have left to figure out are the motor mounts and oil pan all the rest should be pretty easy.

Chaingun

Nov 4, 2010
Mooreland OK
Where did you get that sender? i was actually looking at the ones i posted a few minutes ago and they won't work on the LT1. It has to be a "A 17 tooth per driveshaft revolution speed sensor used on 1993–1997 LT1 engines with the Borg-Warner 6-speed transmission. An 11 tooth reluctor ring is used on 1993 LT1 engines with the Borg-Warner wide ratio (3.35 First gear) 6-speed transmission." would the one you purchased interface correctly with the LT1 i have planned?

Edit: Nevermind, it appears that when i have the engine tuned for the new cam and heads i can have the ECU reprogrammed for a 4k ppm VSS instead of the 40,000ppm reading of the borg warner 6 speed. easy enough. Mighty Al, how high performance are you going with a clutch. I have to dig up the link but someone here had found a landcruiser clutch disc i believe it was that had the correct spline count and was nearly the same size as an ls1 clutch disc, they are 11 inch i belive and the land cruiser was 10.75. I imagine that a custom disc could be made as well but that could be a cheaper option to get the build rolling for you it's most likely what i'll do until i go to add power to the motor. I'll be using a camaro bell housing, flywheel and pressure plate as well, so it should all bolt right together on mine with little to no tweaking needed.
edit part deux: this may sound dumb but i just realized that my supra may have come from a pickup or a hilux and it may not have the correct input shaft to use with the existing bellhousing adapters. The supra originally had a 190mm input iirc, and the pickup version had a 160mm input shaft. mine would have to have been the 190mm to work with the 7m right? if so i wonder if they swapped the input shafts or if the original owner just put a truck style shifter in it when they owned it for some reason...

Last edited:

MightyAl

Jun 5, 2005
Chesterfield, MO
The R151 and R150 had the shorter 160mm input shaft and will be too short for the MA70 bellhousing.

I got the 4k ppm pass thru sender from jagsthatrun.com. There is a lot of good stuff on there.

As afar as clutch I think I might go with a custom feramic clutch. I am talking to a place that says they can build me one for $250-$300. It will be solid hub from what I understand the feramic material can be slipped without hurting the grip. I have seen that the M5 feramic clutches are solid hub and have not read about any complaints in day to day driving. I don't think I need to get too crazy with the clutch as I want to stay N/A and I don't think it will see anything past 400 ft/lbs for awhile.

Chaingun

Nov 4, 2010
Mooreland OK
Going to be NA myself for a while, trying to keep the bottom end stock until I'm ready for boost. I love the turbo setup the IJ did on his LS1 but to be quite honest that is way beyond my exhaust fabricating skill. I'm looking at a centrifugal supercharger for my build but i know that i'm going to have to do some serious work to the bottom end to hold more than a few pounds of boost at the stock compression ratio of an lt1 (10.5:1) hell that may be too high for any boost tbh

Chaingun

Nov 4, 2010
Mooreland OK
not sure how well that would work, they are very wide motors when compared to an ls1 on top of that they have 4 cams...with very little in the way of customization. it would be a low initial cost, but think about how much you would end up spending on cams alone. not to mention they are made to be mounted transversly and i don't think they would be able to be adapted to a toyota transmission. I've already ruled out the toyota v8 for most of the same reasons. no for me it's either LT1 or LS1 i want a motor i can do something with, massive amounts of low end torque and probable a centrifugal supercharger at some point, all with that throaty roar that accompanies a well built v8 with open exhaust.

You know what i really wish i could pull off? Big block under my hood, Do you realize how AMAZING it would be be hide one of those under the hood of a stock looking supra, with a clean paintjob? turning the key over in a big block sleeper supra?

Last edited:

MightyAl

Jun 5, 2005
Chesterfield, MO
Get an 8.1L. The L18 from full size silverado/Sierra from 2001-2007. You could probably get one for the same price as an 6.0L. The guy on lt1swap.com I know used one in his truck.

Greg55_99

Apr 2, 2005
MA
Northstar? It can be done with a Dodge Dakota bellhousing.... but... like you've said.... Not worth the effort....

Greg

Attachments

• NorthstarR154_1.jpg
    NorthstarR154_1.jpg
    199 KB · Views: 24

Chaingun

Nov 4, 2010
Mooreland OK
Agreed, the whole point of dropping in a v8 mated to a r154 either lt1 or ls1 etc is for torque and ease of installation. I'm trying to put together something that i won't have to spend a year fabbing exhaust for or sourcing cams or pistons, with most sbc's there are a billion parts available for everything you can imagine plus... one cam!

Chaingun

Nov 4, 2010
Mooreland OK
Update on my build just bought a 95 lt1 with 70k for 150 just need the ecu, clutch and adaptor now to get it all assembled but I won't be putting it in until the body work is done I can get it up on a rotisserie now tho since I'll be pulling the engine and trans and it won't be too heavy will keep updated as I go

MightyAl

Jun 5, 2005
Chesterfield, MO
I just bought an L33 today so I should be able to start tearing apart my car in the next few weeks and get the R154 mounted to the engine. I am still missing the clutch disc and I need to figure out an oil pan but I pretty much have everything else.

te72

Classifieds Moderator
Staff member
Mar 26, 2006
WHYoming
Chaingun;1846728 said:
Update on my build just bought a 95 lt1 with 70k for 150 just need the ecu, clutch and adaptor now to get it all assembled but I won't be putting it in until the body work is done I can get it up on a rotisserie now tho since I'll be pulling the engine and trans and it won't be too heavy will keep updated as I go
Nice find there... Just a right place, right time sort of thing? I can't imagine LT1's are that cheap all day...

PureDrifter

VIP Cruisin'...
Aug 11, 2009
CA
www.clublexus.com
i'm interested in what stylle or vehicle sump setups you guys are using.

I take it you're both using the advance or novak adapter for SBC/LSx to R154 with your own pieced together clutches?

IJ.

Grumpy Old Man
Mar 30, 2005
I come from a land down under
PureDrifter;1848734 said:
custom mounts and no subframe mods? i need to go reread your build thread...
It's long gone, yep made my own mounts, I used an a340e and an adaptor I built so trans mount was stock, only thing I had to move was the crossbrace between the LCA's, I machined up a billet T6 6061 one that incorporated a bashguard.