sbc in a MK3...

lowtaco

Jul 8, 2009
Under a damn Toyota
I started on this a few months ago and have been working on the car a bit at a time. Im mainly acquiring parts for the engine and have been fabbing up some mounts. Ive seen some pretty shitty mounts made and I didnt want this one to end up looking like John Boy threw it together in his carport...
But long story short build plan will be a forged, all roller 355 built for spray. Victor Jr intake with a Quick Fuel 750 carb, a set of AFR 195's Street Eliminators and a Comp XR294 hyd roller cam. All backed by a stalled/built powerglide. Im hoping for around 500hp off the spray but only the dyno knows. Weight transfer should be alot better as well I have the engine set back as far as I can and I only have the front cyl's even with the axle center line. I still want to keep the sawblades for a sleeper look but with MT ET Drag Radials. Car will be lowered a bit with H&R race springs I hope it isnt too low.
mounts...
316510_294704750541374_100000055548370_1283893_1034146353_n.jpg

mockup block
311308_294704630541386_100000055548370_1283888_426754568_n.jpg

using factory mounts
293551_294704703874712_100000055548370_1283891_428832590_n.jpg

Last edited:

Quin

Trans killer
Dec 5, 2006
Columbus, IN
Sounds like a decent plan to me. I love Supras, but when it comes down to it I want a car I can hop in, drive hard and still drive it home that night. These cars have a habit of not doing that lol. I've come close to swapping a built LT1/T56 into mine a few times. Any ideas what you're doing for exhaust yet? I'm really partial to x pipes on V8s but I'm not sure if there's really room for one under a MKIII.

What do you want for your 7M stuff?

bioskyline

Oct 21, 2010
powell river bc
not my cup of tea but knock yourself out! should be fun when its done

and quinn you can probably do x-pipes if you do a side exit before the rear tires, but with the stock gas tank theres no way to run dual rears without doing a custom tank or going fuel cell.

pics of bottom of car

ma70undercarriage.jpg

ma70undercarriage1.jpg

ma70undercarriage2.jpg

lowtaco

Jul 8, 2009
Under a damn Toyota
Quin;1768258 said:
Sounds like a decent plan to me. I love Supras, but when it comes down to it I want a car I can hop in, drive hard and still drive it home that night. These cars have a habit of not doing that lol. I've come close to swapping a built LT1/T56 into mine a few times. Any ideas what you're doing for exhaust yet? I'm really partial to x pipes on V8s but I'm not sure if there's really room for one under a MKIII.

What do you want for your 7M stuff?

Im trying to get 1k for trans/engine/ecu/harness/electronics. engine has roughly 3500 miles on it and trans needs syncros. Local guy is wanting it but is taking forever to get the cash. I just need to move this stuff so I can finish my short block.
Im kicking around the idea of finding a good 5/6 speed but a built auto will likely find its home in there

Quin

Trans killer
Dec 5, 2006
Columbus, IN
Might get in touch with you soon. I bought a BHG'd car and it's been sitting for half a decade, not sure if the shortblock is good or not. Pistons and cylinders looked great but that doesn't tell me anything about the bearings or trans or the rest of the car in general for that matter.

And Bio, he lives smack in the middle of fbody land, shouldn't be too hard to find one somewhat locally. There was a big fbody event at Beech Bend in BG a few weeks ago, probably could have found one cheap there!

lowtaco

Jul 8, 2009
Under a damn Toyota
Quin;1768775 said:
And Bio, he lives smack in the middle of fbody land, shouldn't be too hard to find one somewhat locally. There was a big fbody event at Beech Bend in BG a few weeks ago, probably could have found one cheap there!
Yeah no joke... I just found a killer deal on a built glide but I think Id rather have another gear lol. Im seriously consider a procharger or turbo now.... Its just not the same building a Supra with no boost.

Quin

Trans killer
Dec 5, 2006
Columbus, IN
Yeah dude glides suck in street cars. Are you set on a carb motor? I'm pretty damn sure LT1 mounts are the same, and anything that would fit in a fourth gen fbody's engine bay is damn well gonna fit in a Supra lol blower brackets etc. You could run a Walbro (that you probably already have) and stock fuel lines up to the engine bay and then adapt that to the stock fbody stuff. Just some food for thought, LT1 parts are pretty cheap and they run pretty good with some bolt ons. Buddy's car went 8.30s on a motor with five minutes of run time, ported stock h/i and an off the shelf cam. Wanna say it was a 503 or 306, I always get them confused but it's the bigger of the two.

Boost is a lot easier with FI. Different friend (actually sold the other guy his h/c/i setup) built a 355 LT1, same ported stock stuff, custom grind turbo cam, T78, etc was trapping 100+ with a totally shot clutch (slipped in second and third at anything over half throttle as soon as the boost kicked in, only on 8lbs). Mail order tune, cost him like 200 bucks, pretty much dead nuts on.

lowtaco

Jul 8, 2009
Under a damn Toyota
Only thing I have against the LT1's are those damn optispark ignitions... Worst design ever. I already have a 350 block waiting to get the machine work done and have all the rotating assy waiting as well. Im still liking the carb idea just for simplicity but a friend has told me about the FAST XFI fuel injection systems, pretty easy to set up and isnt too pricey for what it can do. Guess I will make the choice closer to completion.

Quin

Trans killer
Dec 5, 2006
Columbus, IN
Definitely have to agree on the Optispark but it's better than blowing head gaskets left right and center! I think Holley has an easy EFI deal too.

lowtaco

Jul 8, 2009
Under a damn Toyota
quick update: the 7M should be gone friday so I can drop the block off to get machined and the rotating assy for balancing. Picked up a good 4150 750 Holley mech. secondary for modding/rebuilding and a TH350 for 100 bux. That is all

PROTOTYPE

Oct 18, 2011
Tampa Bay, FL
Would rather see LSx based stuff in it but cool swap none the less. If you want to stay carb but get rid of the dizzy I would look into the Electromotive XDI-II unit. Full standalone Distributorless ignition with the sky as your limit. Or if you want full standalone EFI they can do that as well.

bioskyline

Oct 21, 2010
powell river bc
the lt1 is more or less same block as a standard 350, tranny fit fine. internaly the motor is differet, but carbed motor mounts fit no problem, the stock lt1 mounts are different from a 350 in a truck o3 3rd gen fbody to fit the 4th gen subframe better, but bolt holes are same.

manifolds and headers: fitment can be hard due to D shaped exaust ports you need i believe 1 5/8 collector in round to clear, or hack up a set of the lt1 ones and custom run them.

optispark does suck, as 1) its a bitch to replace, 2) doesnt take much of a puddle to fill the cap and kill it.