sbc in a MK3...

lowtaco

Jul 8, 2009
Under a damn Toyota
7M is gone... block and rotating assy going out to machine soon. Got screwed on the TH350, after cleaning it up turns out the case is shit. Long crack running through the center part of the case. Guess I will be getting the glide next paycheck.

te72

Classifieds Moderator
Staff member
Mar 26, 2006
WHYoming
Sorry to hear of your stroke of luck man. :(

Perhaps I missed it, but is there boost involved in this swap? If not, a glide seems a questionable choice to me...

lowtaco

Jul 8, 2009
Under a damn Toyota
Its fine my step-father has the glide anyway. And I planed on going single turbo in the begining but decided to go carbed instead. Still kicking around the Procharger idea though. So why do think a glide is a questionable choice, if you dont mind me asking.

te72

Classifieds Moderator
Staff member
Mar 26, 2006
WHYoming
You can always do a blow-through carb, not sure if they cost any more though... I've never seen a glide used with much success on a street car, personally. They make great transmissions for drag racing though, especially with the load they'll put on the engine. Hell, my brother's Impala has a gutsy 283 in it, it pulls pretty good, and then it shifts. That's why I say that. If you're at a significantly lower elevation I don't see it being as much a problem, but where I am, you either need power (boost) or gearing to make a car quick.

lowtaco

Jul 8, 2009
Under a damn Toyota
Blow-through carbs will run anywere from 750-1500 depending on the brand. I'll pass on boost till I get a raise. I really dont plan on driving the car much on the street unless its to a local show. And not sure what you mean by "the load they'll put on the engine"... Powerglides use less power then any other auto out there cause of the less rotating mass they have. Elevation here is around 970ft.

sharpsupra

Aug 14, 2011
georgia
a friend of mine had a 2 speed p-glide in his old chevy truck behind a beefy 283. it would chirp the tires when it shifted. indestructable it was lol....come to think of it that engine was tooo. it shure would spin up with a solid cam.

te72

Classifieds Moderator
Staff member
Mar 26, 2006
WHYoming
sharpsupra;1780941 said:
a friend of mine had a 2 speed p-glide in his old chevy truck behind a beefy 283. it would chirp the tires when it shifted. indestructable it was lol....come to think of it that engine was tooo. it shure would spin up with a solid cam.
They're great engines. I think my brother's Impala has something like 240-260k on the thing, still runs great. Great power, just a crappy powerband because he only has 2 gears...

lowtaco;1780839 said:
Blow-through carbs will run anywere from 750-1500 depending on the brand. I'll pass on boost till I get a raise. I really dont plan on driving the car much on the street unless its to a local show. And not sure what you mean by "the load they'll put on the engine"... Powerglides use less power then any other auto out there cause of the less rotating mass they have. Elevation here is around 970ft.
Didn't know blow through was so expensive... As for putting a load on the engine, I was under the impression that the less of a mechanical advantage an engine has through gearing, the higher the load placed on the engine, which is beneficial to turbocharged engines. Someone please correct me if I'm mistaken, but I always thought that's why people used glides for a lot of drag cars.

And you're a lucky bastard for being in such a low elevation. Up here, you either have boost, lots of displacement, or a slow vehicle.

lowtaco

Jul 8, 2009
Under a damn Toyota
Installed the cradle back in the car with the mock-up block and trans. Looks like I did well measuring, had 1.5" between the bell housing and the firewall. The trans clears the tunnel great except for the shifter arm, I will need to do a bit of hammering to get it not to hit.

Engine is still at the machine shop, waiting for my King HP bearings to come in. The Eagle rotating assy will need to be balanced just waiting on the bearings and balancer to weigh everything in.
401700_331177920227390_100000055548370_1397994_671952054_n.jpg

Last edited:

lowtaco

Jul 8, 2009
Under a damn Toyota
Has anyone that has done this kind of swap had luck running long tube headers? My shorties will work great but Im trying to find some long's that will work.

lowtaco

Jul 8, 2009
Under a damn Toyota
Finally I got the block and rotating assy back and balanced. This week I plan on getting all the rings gaped and checking bearing clearance. So I should have the short block assy soon.
I changed plans with the camshaft as well... My neighbor who does alot of drag racing had a nearly new Dough Herbert solid roller cam that I bought.
242/242 duration @ .050
.567/.567 lift with 1.5 ratio rockers
110 lobe centerline
376998_346497822028733_100000055548370_1455593_1830753037_n.jpg

lowtaco

Jul 8, 2009
Under a damn Toyota
While Im waiting on other engine parts to come in I have been working on all the wiring and gauges. Im wanting to retro fit some after market gauges in the stock locations. Good thing I still have my TSRM, wiring is one of my downfalls. I also have my new struts with the H&R springs mounted and waiting to go in.

te72

Classifieds Moderator
Staff member
Mar 26, 2006
WHYoming
Man, your 7m looks funny... is that custom? :p

That "BMFSBCFTMFW" in your sig, that mean, "big mother fucking small block chevy for the mother fucking win"?

Suprapowaz!(2)

Apr 10, 2006
San Antonio, Tx.
te72;1822296 said:
Man, your 7m looks funny... is that custom? :p

That "BMFSBCFTMFW" in your sig, that mean, "big mother fucking small block chevy for the mother fucking win"?

Probably "bad mother fucking small block chevy for the mother fucking win."