Sawbladz build. Lots of pics...possibly some progress.

Sawbladz

Supramania Contributor
Mar 14, 2006
Oshawa, ON, CA
gtsfirefighter;1008574 said:
Your car is HOT :love:!

Keep up the good work.

Thanks, lol.

I was just out today and dropped in on George of Raptor Racing. He had a Shine lip there so I held it up to the front of my car to see how it looked. I love the look of this lip but I don't think I could have one with my current suspension setup.

Sorry for the low quality pic.
p1008741_1.jpg

Last edited:

gsmokez

Feb 18, 2007
Brampton, Ontario
ohh my bad lol I feel dumb now. I didn't realize they were 89+ mouldings. Well I guess its either paint them or get used to them lol. I was wondering why your 88 center piece moulding lookd different from the rest. Anyway I still think it looks nice. Good job on the car.

Sawbladz

Supramania Contributor
Mar 14, 2006
Oshawa, ON, CA
So ya, bit of an update should go in here. My car was just in at the shop and had some work finished up. My car now has polyurthane bushings front and rear. My LIPP traction bars are in and I now have HSD coilovers.

Here are some pics.:)
p1048699_1.jpg

p1048699_2.jpg

p1048699_3.jpg

p1048699_4.jpg

p1048699_5.jpg

p1048699_6.jpg

p1048699_7.jpg

p1048699_8.jpg

Last edited:

Sawbladz

Supramania Contributor
Mar 14, 2006
Oshawa, ON, CA
Thanks IJ. I just got back from the shop. We raised the car a full inch at all four corners so that it could be aligned. The front was able to be set within factory tolerances but the rears were not. The rear is now -1.7* right and -2.0* on the left. Factory specs calls for a max -1.0 but whatever. I refuse to raise the car anymore.

I will need to take new pics to show the new ride height. It still looks good but not quite as slammed.

jugodegolf

Supramania Contributor
Apr 5, 2005
Phoenix,AZ, United States
Sawbladz;954451 said:
It just annoys the hell out of me that there isn't a machine shop that can do the job right. If at all possible I only want to build this motor once. In the near future, I will be shooting for a decent amount of power and I want the most reliable engine possible. At the end of the day, $400 is a drop in the bucket.

IJ: Thanks, I will add that to the list.

:boink:

IJ.;955462 said:
For me it's not worth spending a single cent on a head until it's passed a hardness test.

Sorry to harp on about this but it's that important.

makes note to himself.

CryoSlash;1006883 said:
89+ = ftw.

Fixed 4 u

gtsfirefighter;1008574 said:
Your car is HOT :love:!

Keep up the good work.

x2

Haven't checked on your progress in while. Car is coming along nicely Jamie.

Sawbladz

Supramania Contributor
Mar 14, 2006
Oshawa, ON, CA
So I think it is time for an update of this thread.

The car decided that the latter part of summer 2008 would be that time that it would try my patience. Seems that every time I took it for a drive I would end up stopped on the side of the road. In the span of a few weeks I had 2 seperate coolant lines burst and soak down the engine bay. This is apparently bad for electronics. I fried my CPS and am now looking for a replacement. Also, I went to an autocross event (sooo much fun) but the day before, the LSD stopped working. Time for a 3.73 with a fresh LSD.

Fast forward a week or so and the clutch went to the floor on my way home from the girlfriends. This was the final straw. I managed to get the car into the garage and proceeded to pull the key out and pull the insurance. 2008 was done.

So as it sits, the car needs a diff, all new rubber hoses, clutch stuff (slave, master, line), targa seals, tail light seals and a CPS. Time to go shopping. I am considering pulling the tranny at the same time for a full refresh and a new clutch. I think the life span of this stock clutch is limited at this torque level and I don't feel like walking home anymore.

I guess I am now a true Mk3 owner. I have had my fair share of problems and held back the urge to drop a match on the thing. Here's hoping 2009 will bring more fun and less troubles.

arizzle

Lov'in the boost.
Nov 1, 2006
burnaby, BC
cars looking sexy,

but your center tail section, if you can find a USDM center section thats the same color as you mouldings which you can. you can just transfer the light it self into the light center section. i did that with mine cause i didn't like it all. you just have to be gentle with those clips that hold the light on the section.

from this center section
sm_photo_missing.jpg

and the teal section.
sm_photo_missing.jpg

Last edited:

Supra28

Supramanian
Aug 17, 2006
Columbus, OH/Kansas
Sawbladz, your car looks AMAZING!!! Especially with that lip! (I'm usually a fan of the stock lip but, DAMN hahahah)

Keep up the great work on that beast. :thumbup:

SupraRon

Supramania Contributor
Jan 2, 2008
Canada
Sawbladz;1189150 said:
So I think it is time for an update of this thread.

The car decided that the latter part of summer 2008 would be that time that it would try my patience. Seems that every time I took it for a drive I would end up stopped on the side of the road. In the span of a few weeks I had 2 seperate coolant lines burst and soak down the engine bay. This is apparently bad for electronics. I fried my CPS and am now looking for a replacement. Also, I went to an autocross event (sooo much fun) but the day before, the LSD stopped working. Time for a 3.73 with a fresh LSD.

Fast forward a week or so and the clutch went to the floor on my way home from the girlfriends. This was the final straw. I managed to get the car into the garage and proceeded to pull the key out and pull the insurance. 2008 was done.

So as it sits, the car needs a diff, all new rubber hoses, clutch stuff (slave, master, line), targa seals, tail light seals and a CPS. Time to go shopping. I am considering pulling the tranny at the same time for a full refresh and a new clutch. I think the life span of this stock clutch is limited at this torque level and I don't feel like walking home anymore.

I guess I am now a true Mk3 owner. I have had my fair share of problems and held back the urge to drop a match on the thing. Here's hoping 2009 will bring more fun and less troubles.

Wow Jamie. No idea you had that much trouble. Hope you have better luck next year.

Sawbladz

Supramania Contributor
Mar 14, 2006
Oshawa, ON, CA
SupraRon;1189254 said:
Wow Jamie. No idea you had that much trouble. Hope you have better luck next year.

It can't be much worse. Well, it can, but we won't talk about it. lol

I think if I get off my ass and do some maintenance I can make the car reliable again and just enjoy it. I got very close to selling it this year. If I had a bit more cash in the bank I think I would have. Those C5 Vette's are almost within reach. :)

EDIT: And these problems are what kept me away from the meets towards the end of the year. That and the new girlfriend. ;)

SupraRon

Supramania Contributor
Jan 2, 2008
Canada
Sawbladz;1189296 said:
It can't be much worse. Well, it can, but we won't talk about it. lol

I think if I get off my ass and do some maintenance I can make the car reliable again and just enjoy it. I got very close to selling it this year. If I had a bit more cash in the bank I think I would have. Those C5 Vette's are almost within reach. :)

EDIT: And these problems are what kept me away from the meets towards the end of the year. That and the new girlfriend. ;)

I guess you're right. It could've been a lot worse. The last time I spoke to you I know you were quite interested in a Vette. It'd be a shame if you were to sell it, but I guess sometimes you gotta move on.

Hopefully you keep it and we do some lapping events next year. I'm hoping Santa is good this year and I can get mine track-ready!

And you preferred hanging with the gf rather than the boys? What's wrong with you? :biglaugh:

Last edited:

Sawbladz

Supramania Contributor
Mar 14, 2006
Oshawa, ON, CA
New progress has been made. Exams are finished so I spent 4 hours out in the garage and sanded until I no longer had finger prints.

p1302601_1.jpg

This is stripper sitting on the face of the wheel. This stuff did not work well and took many applications. Still didn't get 100% of the clear coat off but the remainder came off quick with sanding.
p1302601_2.jpg

Supra sad outside in the rain. This is the first time it has seen water in about 7 months. It reminded me that I need to replace my targa seals.
p1302601_3.jpg

Clear is off the fronts. If there wasn't deep gouges in them from a tire machine I would have been able to stop here. They looked pretty mint under the clear.
p1302601_4.jpg

This is the first rim sanded completely with 220 grit. I hadn't expected to go that aggressive but the gouges were deep and everywhere. I hope the other rims need less sanding at this stage.
p1302601_5.jpg

Sawbladz

Supramania Contributor
Mar 14, 2006
Oshawa, ON, CA
PROGRESS HAS BEEN MADE! I have spent about 15 hours in the past few weeks and I have complete polishing my wheels. They still aren't together yet because I am waiting on my wheel centers to get back from powder coating. Anyways, here is the shiny bits. :)

p1338068_1.jpg

p1338068_2.jpg

p1338068_3.jpg

p1338068_4.jpg

p1338068_5.jpg

p1338068_6.jpg

p1338068_7.jpg

p1338068_8.jpg

p1338068_9.jpg