Sawbladz build. Lots of pics...possibly some progress.

IBoughtASupra

Mar 10, 2009
Queens, NY
Hey man, on page sixteen, I saw that you are blocking off the EGR. Now, you do have the block off on the lower intake but you still have the back plate on. You should removed the backplate and use the block off for the hole at the back of the head.

I did this on one of my enignes and a forum member told me that it is not good and I should remove it because it will cause a high operating temperature in cylinder six since the exhuast fumes will still gather there.

You should do this if the engine is still out.

Just something I was told and followed and it does make sense logically. Good Luck and Great Build!

Sawbladz

Supramania Contributor
Mar 14, 2006
Oshawa, ON, CA
Interesting. I hadn't intended to block off my EGR ever as I find it to be a good thing but when I bought the new setup that wasn't really an option. I will look more into it and will consider changing it. Will need to do that tomorrow as I intend for the engine to go in on Thursday.

A few pictures cause I actually did some work. Spent about half an hour and buffed the intake manifold to remove most of the fine scratches. Not perfect but its the engine bay and I'm not too concerned. The cam covers will get the same treatment but later when the engine is in the bay. I don't feel like doing it now. I want the engine in so I can do more important things.

p1494172_1.jpg

p1494172_2.jpg

p1494172_3.jpg

This is the big whoops I had recently and I am still pretty pissed off about it. I managed to let my engine hoist fall over into the side of the car. Fuck...

p1494172_4.jpg

Supra_Villan

needs his car done
Nov 10, 2007
Wellsville MO
Sawbladz;1494172 said:
Interesting. I hadn't intended to block off my EGR ever as I find it to be a good thing but when I bought the new setup that wasn't really an option. I will look more into it and will consider changing it. Will need to do that tomorrow as I intend for the engine to go in on Thursday.

A few pictures cause I actually did some work. Spent about half an hour and buffed the intake manifold to remove most of the fine scratches. Not perfect but its the engine bay and I'm not too concerned. The cam covers will get the same treatment but later when the engine is in the bay. I don't feel like doing it now. I want the engine in so I can do more important things.

p1494432_1.jpg

p1494432_2.jpg

p1494432_3.jpg

This is the big whoops I had recently and I am still pretty pissed off about it. I managed to let my engine hoist fall over into the side of the car. Fuck...

p1494432_4.jpg
looking good aside from the last pic lol. FYL right?

SupraRon

Supramania Contributor
Jan 2, 2008
Canada
Sawbladz;1494172 said:

p1494456_1.jpg

Ah man. That sucks. Can't really tell from that angle, but is it deep? Sorry!

Sawbladz

Supramania Contributor
Mar 14, 2006
Oshawa, ON, CA
It's a pretty deep dent but it will be fixed in time. Just more motivation to get new paint everywhere.

Today: Progress! My buddy Steve (Tireshredder) came by to give me a hand. We got the engine/tranny dropped in the car and bolted up. Filled the diff with oil and 2 ounces of friction modifier. Also slid in the 1 piece drive shaft ready for the diff to be bolted up. So now we finally get to see what it all looks like. I fucking love it!

p1495359_1.jpg

p1495359_2.jpg

p1495359_3.jpg

p1495359_4.jpg

p1495359_5.jpg

p1495359_6.jpg

p1495359_7.jpg

p1495359_8.jpg

p1495359_9.jpg

Sawbladz

Supramania Contributor
Mar 14, 2006
Oshawa, ON, CA
More like 3 hours. lol Steve showed up around 11 and we quit before he had class at 2. It was just a touch below freezing and holding onto cold tools was shitty. A few days from now it will be like +6 and I want to spend more time out there then.

Sawbladz

Supramania Contributor
Mar 14, 2006
Oshawa, ON, CA
LOL! I'm months away from this thing running. Need to wire up the MAFT-Pro, fit IC pipes, finish my custom fan shroud, put in the walbro, wire/plumb 4 new gauges, and a shit ton more on that list. This is not a simple swap for me. I've changed a lot of things and it will take a while before it all comes together.

Sawbladz

Supramania Contributor
Mar 14, 2006
Oshawa, ON, CA
Not sure who the manufacturer of the manifold is. Seond hand to me. The spacer works perfectly to get the turbo up nice and high. I will see if I can find a picture of it.

Sawbladz

Supramania Contributor
Mar 14, 2006
Oshawa, ON, CA
I don't know what you're asking. I don't know the brand of it. I have no way to determine it.

Anyways, got the diff in. Bolted up the axles and driveshaft so the rear end of the car is done. Now time to start slowly putting the engine bay together. Lots to do.

Tire Shredder

Sep 15, 2005
Oshawa
looking good jamie.

it would be a treat if you could install that walbro by yourself, that's going to suck! haaha then again, nothing should be rusted, since we had put that new stock one in 4-5 years ago.

Sawbladz

Supramania Contributor
Mar 14, 2006
Oshawa, ON, CA
Did some more playing with wires yesterday. Got the rest of the engine connectors complete. Connected the engine harness to the chassis harness behind the battery. Adjusted the the wiring a bit so the alternator wiring would reach it in its new position. The got that belt tensioned properly. I think the next step will be hooking up all fuel lines and attaching the clutch slave and all engine grounds.

There is so many different things that need to be done its almost overwhelming. Just need to keep at it and keep getting check marks on the to do list.

Some pics cause I'm a pic whore.

p1497547_1.jpg

p1497547_2.jpg

p1497547_3.jpg

Sawbladz

Supramania Contributor
Mar 14, 2006
Oshawa, ON, CA
Finally got some time and warm weather. Spent a few hours each day this weekend doing things. Got the engine and trans oil changed. 0w30 Castrol for the engine and MT90 for the trans. Put the shifter back in too but I have since ordered new bushings so it will come back out. I clocked the turbo because the center section was on a pretty severe lean and I was told to have the oil feed and drains vertical. This became a huge pain because I had to shorten the drain line and now have to buy some braided stainless to extend the coolant feed and return lines. Oh well, I'm happy knowing that it is done properly.

I then removed the remainder of the power steering lines and relocated the reservoir. Once happy with its new location I plumbed the lines and secured them with some cable ties. I then picked a spot for the oil cooler and made some backets to mount it. Pretty happy with how fast that came together and the end result looks pretty good. Next up was to start routing the intercooler piping. Since I have changed some things, nothing seems to want to fit. I will need to buy a few new bends and couplers to make it all flow together nicely. It seems to be very difficult to find black couplers for a reasonable price. Where does everybody go for cheap couplers?

So the current plan is to order some lines, couplers and piping so I can finish the turbo install. Then I need to get the rad fan shroud made so I can put the rad in place. Then I can finish the intercooler piping on the drivers side since I am trying to not relocated my battery. From there I can pick any project I like. I could wire up all y new gauges or I could find a new charcoal cannister and mount it. I need to wire up my new ignition coils and make brackets for them. Also need to buy a new speedometer cable and get that fitted.

So much left to do but here's some pics.

p1526883_1.jpg

p1526883_2.jpg

p1526883_3.jpg

p1526883_4.jpg

Sawbladz

Supramania Contributor
Mar 14, 2006
Oshawa, ON, CA
I've been thinking of how to do it. It didn't have it done before. How would you route it?

I know that I need to connect the throttle body port to the two existing lines on the cam covers. I was thinking of connecting those two lines to each other and tieing in another line from the TB. Not sure how to connect the AN line to the TB though. Or if it will look like complete ass.

Last edited:

IJ.

Grumpy Old Man
Mar 30, 2005
I come from a land down under
Sorry for the delay in asnwering Jamie (took me this long to find the pic)

Here's how I did mine.

RED= Cam covers to catchcan

BLUE= CC to Turbo inlet

GREEN= CC to Intake on the plenum side of the TB

I use a real PCV Valve in the green line.

alt00.jpg