Ryan's 89 7M Twin Turbo Drifter Build

InFrnt0fU

Lurking Supra Socialite
Finally got around to starting a build thread for my engine that started the planning stage a couple months back. The engine builder is William at Exclusive Tuning here in Raleigh, NC. Some of the prices are estimates and some are firm. Any feedback, whether positive or negative is appreciated. So here goes 2 years (ETA) of learning, fun, impatience and whatever else.

Obviously this is just the engine...I will post information regarding what will be done to the drivetrain once I cross that bridge.

What is done so far: NA block has had the basic machining (resurfacing) done to it and bored over approximately .0334 for the oversized pistons which I now have.

What is currently being done. Fixing my slightly leaking headgasket which financially puts the build on hold for a month or so. :cry:

7MGTE Drift Spec Build Sheet

Exhaust System -
This is up in the air right now so any comments or suggestions would be greatly appreciated since ground clearance will most likely cause some issues. The other route were thinking is going from the twin DPs to single 4" all the way back.

($410) Dual downpipes - mandrel bent 3” stainless steel tubing with ½” flanges, flex sections and oxygen sensor/ wideband sensor bungs, segregated wastegate dump tubes exiting via separate 2 ¼”exhaust piping.

($1160) Headers - custom fabricated using stainless steel mandrel bent tubing for tandem GT30 turbo mounting. Precision port-matching to exhaust ports in cylinder head. Specially reinforced to support twin turbocharger mass.

($770) Main exhaust system - custom fabricated (using mandrel bent stainless steel) with dual (3”) tubing sections (3”) with forward mounted high flow resonators (in original converter position) dual canister rear mufflers.

Turbochargers

($3030) Twin Garrett ball bearing GT3076R’s (Possibly GT35 series)
Compressor housings fully polished with 2 ½” outlets welded on. Exhaust housings ported for quickest spool-up and best flow characteristics.
Compressor specifications: GT3076R

Intake System

($360) Intercooler piping mandrel bent 3” piping custom fitted and fully welded.
($330) Silicone reinforced 3” hose connections with t-bolt stainless steel clamps
($320) Bypass valve (Tial billet aluminum) welded in with radiused joints.
($80) Intercooler brackets welded to end tanks and plates.
($980) Intercooler custom made dual core with dual (2 ½”) inlet and single (3”) outlet end tanks.
($2400) Intake manifold custom made with Skyline type individual throttle bodies (approx. 52mm bores). Large plenum design fully ported internally and modified to eliminate coolant/egr passages, fully polished.

Short Block

($1900) Cylinder head ported (Level II) for long-duration turbocharged operation with emphasis on ultra-high exhaust flow for maximum energy available for efficient twin-turbo operation. Combustion chambers modified for reduced detonation under high cylinder pressures/ ceramic coated.
($200) Valves polished (and lightened) to resist elevated exhaust temperatures and increase rpm capability (stage II preparation).
(est. $420) Custom sized Inconel exhaust valves

(est. $680) Camshafts specially ground for tractable power curve under boost pressure/ultra-high torque output in mid range for drifting / simplified over-steering.

570hp @8000rpm and 440ft/lb @5000rpm w/ 10psi
785hp @8000rpm and 635ft/lb @5000rpm w/ 20psi
865hp @8000rpm and 725ft/lb @5000rpm w/ 25psi
(Measured at the flywheel using DYNO2000 software)

($360) Valve springs selected for resistance to valve float and increased revs.
($2300) Block fully deburred and radiused for maximum strength/ oil passages radiused and enlarged with fittings welded in for dry-sump oil feed points and machined true. 0-ring groove machined in deck. ARP 4340 alloy main studs installed in main caps. Head tapped for turbo oil feed line/ block tapped for drain. Painted inside to reduce heat soak/ facilitate oil drainage/ reduce windage and outside (for protection) with high temp paints.
($320) ARP L-19 alloy head studs (250,000psi tensile strength)
($240) Crankshaft modified for increased oil flow/ blueprinted for strength micro polished journals/ cross-drilled oil holes.
($890) Custom forged pistons with high compression (11 to 1) specs to increase off-boost response and midrange power production; full skirt/ high strength design.
($140) Piston domes fully radiused, deburred then polished and ceramic coated for even heat transfer and reduced detonation/ heat soak.
($1300) Pauter Machine X-beam connecting rods fully polished for ultimate strength, precision weight matched and balanced.
($1700) Oil pump fitted (dry sump type) for increased pressure and volume delivery. Custom aluminum oil reservoir (sump) constructed.

Fuel System

($600) Fuel pump upgraded to dual high-pressure Bosch inline pumps powered by dedicated high current circuit w/ 30amp relay.
($130) Filters upgraded to serviceable ½” (-8AN) billet aluminum.
($110) Adjustable fuel pressure regulator installed in-line w/ fuel rail.
($450) Lines upgraded to dual -8AN/ ½” aluminum feed lines plumbed in with braided stainless hoses and AN fittings throughout.
($660) Upgraded injectors sized at 1000cc

Engine Management

Microtech LT10 - Computer/ programmer $1690 - Coil packs $480

Sequential fuel injection control with boost mapping to 30psi. Individual coil ignition control with map referenced retard mapping. Rev-limit controlled with fuel and ignition cut-out. Adjustable acceleration injection tables. Ignition coils sequentially fired (high-energy Bosch)

I didn't add up all the costs for a reason.:icon_bigg

InFrnt0fU

Lurking Supra Socialite
Oil pressure still dropping and now 2 months on a leaking head gasket...looks like the project has to be put on hold a bit longer but rest assured she'll be ready. I hate being such an impatient person especially when money = patience haha. Wish me luck.

By the way...What do you guys think of the pricing. Keep in mind he doesn't take on projects that are less than 600 HP because he believes they aren't any fun or a challenge. You'd have to meet him to understand...what a guy haha.

"Gotta stay excited"

Last edited:

Stretch

Tallest MK3 driver ever!!
Mar 30, 2005
Toronto, Ontario
This sounds like a race car that should be built by a team of people for a GT series-style race. All i can say is WOW, if you really do most of those mods, then you will have quite a vehicle. Quite a vehicle for sure, considering even after you spend $25k roughly plus car it will be infinitely more capable than a comparable vehicle in price or class. Will it be comfortable though? Heh, soft seats and ac? Maybe not I would assume :icon_razz Good luck, and pics are needed for sure!
eric

InFrnt0fU

Lurking Supra Socialite
All of your posts make me even more impatient haha. It's what I wanted to do as soon as I drove it for the first time and with this much positive feed back how can i not come though. I'd be doing a disservice to the supramania community.

landspeedrich

Nov 5, 2008
Chicagoland
InFrnt0fU;1194628 said:
Oil pressure still dropping and now 2 months on a leaking head gasket...looks like the project has to be put on hold a bit longer but rest assured she'll be ready. I hate being such an impatient person especially when money = patience haha. Wish me luck.

By the way...What do you guys think of the pricing. Keep in mind he doesn't take on projects that are less than 600 HP because he believes they aren't any fun or a challenge. You'd have to meet him to understand...what a guy haha.

"Gotta stay excited"

Maybe just a little envious of what your doing,and looking at it in the perspective of what you end up with.Where can you drive this beast when it's done to really appreciate what you have??And the statement of your engine builder doesn't take any projects of less than 600 HP because they aren't any fun or challenge??Sounds like he's getting ready to hit a home run with you,just be patient and hope you have a really good paying job...?Don't want to rain on your parade,just my 2 cents. Rich

InFrnt0fU

Lurking Supra Socialite
landspeedrich;1195482 said:
Maybe just a little envious of what your doing,and looking at it in the perspective of what you end up with.Where can you drive this beast when it's done to really appreciate what you have??And the statement of your engine builder doesn't take any projects of less than 600 HP because they aren't any fun or challenge??Sounds like he's getting ready to hit a home run with you,just be patient and hope you have a really good paying job...?Don't want to rain on your parade,just my 2 cents. Rich

It'll be my commuter car haha j/k. I'm the purchasing manager and webmaster/online sales for a national distribution company(www.sun-beltusa.com), I do alright for only being 23 years old.

frontierguy25

Mar 26, 2007
TX
All those specs seem more like a Drag car, twin GT30 turbos are going to produce atleast 600rwhp and twin GT35 would get you in the high 900's. People are doing 5-600rwhp on a single GT35. There is a guy here locally that has a twin set up with the Greddy manifold, tial bov and wastegate, GT28 turbos, huge FMIC, and custom intake Manifold with forged pistons, rods and everything else to go with it and it didn't cost anywhere near what you are talking about. But good luck with the build.

Sep 10, 2007
Virginia
InFrnt0fU;1195695 said:
It'll be my commuter car haha j/k. I'm the purchasing manager and webmaster/online sales for a national distribution company(www.sun-beltusa.com), I do alright for only being 23 years old.[/B]

Ummmm, I think this is an understatement? HAHAHA.

I am 23, and I cannot even begin to imagine your spec sheet for another decade!! LOL

Props for sticking with the 7m, and going for a SICK twin setup!!

Oh and by the way, if you haven't figured this out....
:ttiwwp:

...J/K, keep us updated, and show us the good stuff when ready :biglaugh::biglaugh:

Good luck, subscribed.

InFrnt0fU

Lurking Supra Socialite
frontierguy25;1195728 said:
All those specs seem more like a Drag car, twin GT30 turbos are going to produce atleast 600rwhp and twin GT35 would get you in the high 900's. People are doing 5-600rwhp on a single GT35.

It really isn't about the horsepower. While HP and TQ definitely play BIG roles in what is going on with the build, I put more emphasis on factors such as reliability, functional and controllable mid-high range TQ, and driveability/comfort. I guess my goal really is trying to get the mk3 to have a supercar feel and look but just for 1/10-20th of the cost.

landspeedrich

Nov 5, 2008
Chicagoland
:biglaugh:
InFrnt0fU;1195976 said:
It really isn't about the horsepower. While HP and TQ definitely play BIG roles in what is going on with the build, I put more emphasis on factors such as reliability, functional and controllable mid-high range TQ, and driveability/comfort. I guess my goal really is trying to get the mk3 to have a supercar feel and look but just for 1/10-20th of the cost.

Ryan,if it isn't about the horsepower,why might you spend $24 grand on a moter.A 600 to 800 hp moter isn't about reliability or controllable driving experiences.I agree with IJ in that 450 hp would be more than enough for the street or drifting.If it were me,and I HAVE TO SPEND $24 big ones.I'd put maybe $10 k in the moter,$8k in suspension,tires,etc.$2-3k in a driving school course,to really learn how to drive a 450hp supercar.$2k in a nice vacation or fine dining.And then $1 k in a insurance policy with me and IJ as the beneficiary's??Sounds like a plan??Just my 2 cents. Rich

InFrnt0fU

Lurking Supra Socialite
I'll only be driving around with 10psi, maybe 15...I'll only push the 20-25psi when its at a road course/drag strip.

As for the driving school...I really hope that driftdays comes to the east coast by the time the build is all said and done or I can find a nice huge parking lot in Raleigh where I won't be bothered. Anybody know where?! haha

I really shouldn't have posted those prices because they don't take into account that all the work is being done on one engine. "Group Discount" I guess would be the best thing to describe it. Shouldn't end up more being more than 17k.

I do agree that 450 would be fine, but I want a stronger platform so that if way down the road(way way down) I get the power bug itch, I have an engine that is somewhat ready to take that step...does that make sense.

Also he is using me as a guinea pig for a bunch of stuff so he's cutting a lot of cost out for that.

Last edited:

Keros

Canadian Bacon
Mar 16, 2007
Calgary
You're a brave man.

I'd be honest and say most people who've done +600hp with a 7M have regretted their choice in engine platforms. IJ said it himself...

I'm giddy to see this thing come together. A dry sump oiling system is like a wet dream.

Will a 4" exhaust be too excessive for your power goals? I've seen MkIV supras run 1000whp on 2JZ's with 3" exhaust without any problems. I don't know the math, but I'm assuming there's more to your choice of 4" than I know ;) But I'm interested to know too :D

Are you going to do anything for the longinutudinal regidity of the 7M? I recall a thread discussing that the 7M is a "wet noodle" at big horsepower levels.

And... sequential or parrallel? I noticed to word 'tandem' in there... but I don't really know what that means in that use.

This is going to be a badass build. Good luck!

TurboFreak

NOBAMA
Jan 22, 2006
East Coast
InFrnt0fU;1196210 said:
I'll only be driving around with 10psi, maybe 15...I'll only push the 20-25psi when its at a road course/drag strip.

As for the driving school...I really hope that driftdays comes to the east coast by the time the build is all said and done or I can find a nice huge parking lot in Raleigh where I won't be bothered. Anybody know where?! haha

So you are building this car but don't even know how to drift? :nono:

There ARE "drift days" on the east coast. Tons of them. VIR, Summit Point, Englishtown New Jersey. Look up Drift Nirvana, Clubloose, to name a few venues.

And I hope you don't plan on using your car for drifting AND drag racing. It doesn't work.