Rookie Mistake...now how to ease the pain?

7M4EVR

Oct 8, 2012
fah, fah away
Forgot both of the covers that go in between the bell housing and the block...yep go ahead and laugh!

Now that that is over with.. I can get the bottom cover on without pulling motor or tranny, top one, not so much.

I wanted to get opinions on the easiest way to go about this since running without this cover is not an option as dirt, rocks, water and anything else is sure to find its way in there.

Options the way I see them:
1.) Drop tranny- driveshaft is already out so I could take out the bell housing bolts, put a jack under the tranny, drop the cross member and lower and slide back the tranny enough from the block to get this cover plate in. Only thing I'm worried about with this option is the two bell housing bolts at the top are going to be a REAL pain to get to and work with from under the car.

2.) Pick the motor up off the mounts and scoot it ahead about a quarter inch. This sounds like it would be easier but this means picking the engine back off the mounts which were a bitch to get lined up and on in the first place.Then iIl also have to deal with the oil pan hitting the subframe if I don't lift it high enough. Also with this option I still have to deal with the bell housing bolts no matter what.

Im sure there are things I could be missing or not taking into consideration, which is why I figure I'd ask...
WWYD...what would you do?? (Other than give up working on cars all together)

IMG_20130811_123026.jpg

Suprapowaz!(2)

Apr 10, 2006
San Antonio, Tx.
Option 1. When I'm ready to put the trans back on I put a small jack under the crank pulley a lift it a little to rock the engine back. Of course the motor mount bolts are loosened pretty good. Sandwich a piece of 2X4 between the jack and pulley. You can access the top two bolts from underneath easily that way. Just need a universal joint & 2ft extension (or more) to get in there and tighten it. You will definitely need an assistant to help maneuver the trans in place while trying to get the bolts threaded in. I've done it by myself before and it can quickly get frustrating. If you're not patient you can get upset and in a rush and start to strip things. Get some help.

7M4EVR

Oct 8, 2012
fah, fah away
^for sure man. I think this is the way to go, thank u...I wouldnt even attempt this myself unless I had a lift and tranny jack...I get frustrated way too easy. This shouldn't be too bad I'm just mad I'm moving backwards but you can bet I learned something....won't be doing that again any time soon!

Dan_Gyoba

Turbo Swapper
Aug 9, 2007
Alberta
www.gyoba.com
I never found the top bellhousing bolts that hard to get to... It's the top starter bolt (Well, the nut on the starter side) that I really REALLY hate. If you've already fastened them, remember to unbolt the pressure plate from the flywheel before separating the two. (Much MUCH easier than leaving the clutch on the flywheel!)

Suprapowaz!(2)

Apr 10, 2006
San Antonio, Tx.
7M4EVR;1958160 said:
^for sure man. I think this is the way to go, thank u...I wouldnt even attempt this myself unless I had a lift and tranny jack...I get frustrated way too easy. This shouldn't be too bad I'm just mad I'm moving backwards but you can bet I learned something....won't be doing that again any time soon!

I forgot those covers too, only my engine and trans was outside of the car ready to drop in. I just happened to catch it before I put the engine back in.
I installed my clutch disc in backwards one time too. I had to drop the trans and flip it. That's when I did it all by myself. Was not fun, but I managed to get it done. Next time I installed a sprung six puck I had a friend help me. Much easier.

BTW, make sure your clutch disc is facing the correct way while you have your trans pulled from the engine. Take a pic and post it for us to see and verify it if you're not sure it's correct. We all make rookie mistakes every once in a while.

Scooter7M

Apr 16, 2013
Hopkinsville, KY
just out of curiosity for future reference, is the later model stater the same as the earlier models? or should i just make a note to tap the starter holes to make things easier?

IJ.

Grumpy Old Man
Mar 30, 2005
I come from a land down under
Scooter7M;1958529 said:
just out of curiosity for future reference, is the later model stater the same as the earlier models? or should i just make a note to tap the starter holes to make things easier?
Same same, you would need to KeenSert the early starter, I don't think helicoils would do it as the stock holes are clearance already.

suprarx7nut

YotaMD.com author
Nov 10, 2006
Arizona
www.supramania.com
Option 1.

Damn do I need to try that next time. I've turned my arms red from scrapes and scratches a few times messing with mk3 starters... ugh.

And to think of all the beer I could have enjoyed while I was slaving away on those damn bolts while Dave had it done in 5 minutes... sigh.

Dan_Gyoba

Turbo Swapper
Aug 9, 2007
Alberta
www.gyoba.com
Clutch master replacement wasn't hard at all. I could have done it faster if I hadn't dropped the nut down the fender though.

For the starter nuts, much harder without a second person (which is how I had to do it last time) and re-installing the nut afterwards... ugh.

So once again, my starter is held in by one bolt. (I'll fix that when I pull the motor.) If it comes loose... Well, it's a standard.

7M4EVR

Oct 8, 2012
fah, fah away
Thanks for the input guys, I'll be knocking this out tomorrow after work. Going to be a piece of cake, especially since I haven't installed the starter yet, and guess what? To add to the hilarity of the matter I found my clutch fork still sitting on the table. So this will be a good time to throw that in since I'm dropping the tranny.

Let this be a lesson to someone...don't buy a lot of beer when your trying to assemble your car with some buddies you haven't seen in awhile.:nono: