rod knock?

Finnon

Mar 26, 2006
South Shields, Tyne & Wear ENGLAND
was just wondering if it was a commonly used thread id use the spare ford filter if i had to start the engine again to move the car.

The car is in parked in my street not on a drive way or anything so would poss have to be moved at some point. also id either have to do any work to the car in the street or in the back alley way

jgcable

Jul 26, 2008
Milford, CT
Here is what I think bro.. if you can't afford a $3.00 correct oil filter you are NEVER going to be able to repair that motor regardless of whats wrong with it. I think you should consider cutting your losses and sell it to somebody who has the means and the expertise to repair it correctly. If you half ass it you will have an undependable money pit to fix every week (or day).

Finnon

Mar 26, 2006
jgcable;1159108 said:
Here is what I think bro.. if you can't afford a $3.00 correct oil filter you are NEVER going to be able to repair that motor regardless of whats wrong with it. I think you should consider cutting your losses and sell it to somebody who has the means and the expertise to repair it correctly. If you half ass it you will have an undependable money pit to fix every week (or day).

my friend, I have owned my supra for 5 years now. done a fair few miles in it and regularly serviced it etc. With toyota filters. I have now been burdened with another supra to either see if i can sort the engine or consider removing the engine from my car.

The supra ive owned for the past 5 years has most likely come to the end of its life. its a 1987 car and being based in the uk with salted roads during winter etc has started to corode along the sills etc.

ive probably kept my car away from a scrap yard due to me fixing(amongst other things) the brakes which had been continually left untouched. there was from memory 6 error codes in there.

ohh and not sure on the exchange rate just now. but in the uk for a toyota filter it is £10 now i dont fancy paying £10 for nothing. that is pretty foolish. i asked as i did have a spare ford filter that is never going to be used. that was a cheap one £5 ish

and after 5 years yep i certainly know what you mean about how much time and money these cars can take up.

Last edited:

jgcable

Jul 26, 2008
Milford, CT
Finnon;1159613 said:
my friend, I have owned my supra for 5 years now. done a fair few miles in it and regularly serviced it etc. With toyota filters. I have now been burdened with another supra to either see if i can sort the engine or consider removing the engine from my car.

The supra ive owned for the past 5 years has most likely come to the end of its life. its a 1987 car and being based in the uk with salted roads during winter etc has started to corode along the sills etc.

ive probably kept my car away from a scrap yard due to me fixing(amongst other things) the brakes which had been continually left untouched. there was from memory 6 error codes in there.

ohh and not sure on the exchange rate just now. but in the uk for a toyota filter it is £10 now i dont fancy paying £10 for nothing. that is pretty foolish. i asked as i did have a spare ford filter that is never going to be used. that was a cheap one £5 ish

and after 5 years yep i certainly know what you mean about how much time and money these cars can take up.

I meant no disrespect but the red flag went off in my head when you mentioned that you wanted to put a ford oil filter on I because you had one.
There are alot of kids around my neck of the woods who 1/2 ass everything. I know one kid who used a 2 x 4 piece of wood to shim up his driveshaft in an 800hp turbo high wing Supra. He has already blown 3 motors in it in the past year.

Finnon

Mar 26, 2006
jgcable;1160839 said:
I meant no disrespect but the red flag went off in my head when you mentioned that you wanted to put a ford oil filter on I because you had one.
There are alot of kids around my neck of the woods who 1/2 ass everything. I know one kid who used a 2 x 4 piece of wood to shim up his driveshaft in an 800hp turbo high wing Supra. He has already blown 3 motors in it in the past year.

haha no bother dude, i only mentioned the ford filter as its sat for ages now in my lock up. the ford has now been scrapped and its the same diameter as the toyota filter and looked to be same thread. and since the engine is likely knackered if it would fit then id be ok with it. (im gonna as a last resort remove the old filter and cut it up to check its contents. )

im having to try and find some one that has a garage i can rent to store the donor car in. this is proving quite difficult just now. complete nightmare. dont think my neighbours would be too impressed if i was to start pulling engines out of 2 cars in the front street (i live in a terraced street, kinda all houses joined together if you dont know what i mean)

and wood, drive shaft. lol there are some nut cases in this world.

Muzy

Oct 3, 2008
Alberta
I'd lean towards the dissy, but it sounds to fast. And the way it kinda flutters up and
down.... The sheilds around the timming belt are plastic, can't see it being very loose
timming belt. Are your sheids around the exaust tight? Muzy

Finnon

Mar 26, 2006
yeah i think so, i guess i could pull the dizzy off and see if theres anything inside. I still need to check the oil filter aswell but now its dark when i return home from work so i guess it will be the weekend before i can have a look at it