rod knock?

johnathan1

Supra =
Aug 19, 2005
Downey, California, United States
That doesn't sound like rod knock to me...unless every single rod bearing is bad...but usually it is just one it seems.

I would check the crank pulley and make sure it isn't loose, check all the obvious things like the fan etc, it could even be clutch related or bad bearings in the water pump or alternator...

Just my .02

Also, how is your oil pressure? I'd imagine it would be quite low if it were rod bearings.

Finnon

Mar 26, 2006
South Shields, Tyne & Wear ENGLAND
oil pressure looks to be the same as on my other supra. one thing i did notice is the fan belt looks a bit slack. i guess i should maybe try starting her up with out any drive belts on.

ohhh. one thing. when i came to move the car a couple of weeks ago i started it and there was what sounded like a dry whiring noise i assumed to be alternater related

Finnon

Mar 26, 2006
ohh and i got a 19mm socket on the crank pulley bolt earlier. i tried to tighten it but all i was succeding in doing was turn the engine over with it in gear (the hand brake must want re adjusting again.) the car was ever so slightly starting to budge forward

jgcable

Jul 26, 2008
Milford, CT
suprarx7nut;1153270 said:
By bearing clatter, do you perhaps mean rod knock? :dunno:

If not how is bearing clatter any different from rod knock? Sounds like a different name for the same disease...

No, I was talking about possibly the alternator or the water pump or even the cam bearings.

benchwarmer

Straight Cougar
Aug 2, 2007
Lancaster, CA
If that's rod knock then he's definitely knocking on more than one cylinder. Look at the AC tensioner pulley at 15 seconds to go in the second video. It's hard to tell but it looks like it's wobbling like crazy.

suprarx7nut

YotaMD.com author
Nov 10, 2006
Arizona
www.supramania.com
jgcable;1153582 said:
No, I was talking about possibly the alternator or the water pump or even the cam bearings.

hmm.. I could see if that was an extremely loose pulley perhaps...

Check belts, use a mechanics stethoscope, try to narrow down the location of the noise. Did you try pulling plug wires to check if it is localized in one or more cylinders?

Finnon

Mar 26, 2006
hmmm well ill give a list of what im going to do.

pull oil filter and cut it open to check its insides
pull plug wires one by one (must buy some decent pliers for this task)
remove all the drive belts and see if this noise dissapears

once again, to me the oil pressure seems fine going off what my other supras oil pressure has always read

also when i start it there is a squeak squeak squeak noise from one pulley (both supras do this)

and as i said before there was that nasty noise from i assumed the alternater (kinda a dry whiring sort of noise)

IJ.

Grumpy Old Man
Mar 30, 2005
I come from a land down under
Nope never totally convinced till I pull an engine down but it sounds just like my NA when I knocked it :(

The fact it quiets down a bit around idle then gets louder around 2000 is another indicator, does it get a bit quieter at 2500?

Finnon

Mar 26, 2006
seems to be roughly the same from 2k up to 3k i didnt wanna go past that incase something went pop.

i picked up a new oil filter today so i can atleast pull off the old filter and cut it up to see whats inside it.

IJ.

Grumpy Old Man
Mar 30, 2005
I come from a land down under
It was the first time in my life I'd been in minus temps ;)

I think during Winter here I suffer the same issue, we're in a huge drought but it manages to rain on me for 40 seconds the minute I walk outside!