Rich's Garage. Other work being done

suprarich

Nov 9, 2005
ohio
So much work being done to the Supra and Supra motors all over the world never gets seen on any forum. So I want to post somethings now and then to share.

Here is a short block that I just finished. Lots more to come.

p1625306_1.jpg

arknotts

formerly ark86
Jan 9, 2008
Ohio
Looks great! Is there a coating (just paint?) on the outside of the block? I assume it was also thermally cleaned and the whole nine yards?

I can't wait to have mine done! I'm in for more pics :)

suprarich

Nov 9, 2005
ohio
arknotts;1625373 said:
Looks great! Is there a coating (just paint?) on the outside of the block? I assume it was also thermally cleaned and the whole nine yards?

I can't wait to have mine done! I'm in for more pics :)

Hello, Still driving past my house every day? Stop by sometime, I would like to see the Supra. This block as really clean already, so it only received a tank washing.

suprarx7nut;1625458 said:
Rich, you cant just show a picture like that with no information! Give us the details!

More to come. This is a customer motor that is receiving real good pieces.

---------- Post added at 12:30 AM ---------- Previous post was at 12:19 AM ----------

More pics. Wiseco pistons installed

p1625626_1.jpg

p1625626_2.jpg

Short block is fully assembled with wiseco pistons, eagle rods, new oem freeze plugs, new oem oil shaft bearings, full spin balance of the rotoating assembly to within .5 grams. All 6 rods set to .0018 clearance, all mains set to .0020 clearance.

p1625626_3.jpg

arknotts

formerly ark86
Jan 9, 2008
Ohio
suprarich;1625626 said:
Hello, Still driving past my house every day? Stop by sometime, I would like to see the Supra. This block as really clean already, so it only received a tank washing.

I'm not sure which house is yours, but yes I probably am after work in Kent. I'll stop by sometime for sure!

suprarich

Nov 9, 2005
ohio
Some more pics of this long block rebuild.

New OEM Toyota oil pump installed.

p1626610_1.jpg

New Cometic Rear main seal installed.

p1626610_2.jpg

Cleaned up the oil pan inside and out.

p1626610_3.jpg

Cleaned the timing cover up a good bit.

p1626610_4.jpg

New OEM toyota front main seal and aux. shaft seal installed.

p1626610_5.jpg

91Supra313

Jul 30, 2009
Clarksville TN
Shit man I totally forgot that you were in Ohio. I passed through there on my way up to MI. I could have stopped by for a visit to see the shop and possibly pick some fancy parts up. I will have to remember to stop in on my next trip up there.

suprarich

Nov 9, 2005
ohio
hvyman;1626700 said:
Very nice work.

Thanks hvyman.

91Supra313;1626708 said:
Shit man I totally forgot that you were in Ohio. I passed through there on my way up to MI. I could have stopped by for a visit to see the shop and possibly pick some fancy parts up. I will have to remember to stop in on my next trip up there.

I am usually around, Stop by just give a call ahead of time. I can waste a bunch of time talking Supra!

BlackDevilSupra;1627147 said:
Not aware of other seals other than OEM for the rear main. How does it compare / perform versus the OEM version?

I like the cometic one. It is made in Canada, but I am not sure who made it for Cometic. Felpro, stone, evergreen and a bunch of others make a rear main seal also, but I have seen many aftermarket rear main seals begin to leak early on. The Cometics I have not seen early leaks from them yet.

---------- Post added at 12:46 AM ---------- Previous post was at 12:32 AM ----------

Timing cover is on.

p1627158_1.jpg

New tensioner, oil shaft gear, timing belt drive gear installed.

p1627158_2.jpg

New timing belt and ended up polishing the lower front timing cover a little in the clean up process.

p1627158_3.jpg

New water pump

p1627158_4.jpg

New oem oil o-ring

p1627158_5.jpg

Cleaned up the oil filter housing mount

p1627158_6.jpg

Oil filter housing installed and cleaned.

p1627158_7.jpg

Apr 6, 2005
Alpharetta, GA
suprarich;1627158 said:

I like the cometic one. It is made in Canada, but I am not sure who made it for Cometic. Felpro, stone, evergreen and a bunch of others make a rear main seal also, but I have seen many aftermarket rear main seals begin to leak early on. The Cometics I have not seen early leaks from them yet.

The OEM version exhibits this problem also.
An old school engine builder mentioned to me to minimize the bypass just put a small film of high performance silicone sealant on the OD of the seal, and some lithium grease on the shaft prior to install. Haven't tried this yet, so I can't quantify it's effectiveness.

Great job on putting a basic demo of proper engine assembly :)

suprarich

Nov 9, 2005
ohio
surface cleaned and head studs installed

p1627449_1.jpg

SIP 1.8mm head gasket set down.

p1627449_2.jpg

Got to watch out for those rivets. None of these ever really get in the way but always want to check.

p1627449_3.jpg

Rebuilt the head with a new 3 anglecut on the seats and replaced most of the seats with new ones. Mild porting work to clean up the casting lines. New cometic valve seals, reground the valves, hand lapped the valves into the seats. Installed some new comp 975 springs, milled the gasket surface.

p1627449_4.jpg

p1627449_5.jpg

Head is on and torqued

p1627449_6.jpg

suprarich

Nov 9, 2005
ohio
BlackDevilSupra;1627447 said:
The OEM version exhibits this problem also.
An old school engine builder mentioned to me to minimize the bypass just put a small film of high performance silicone sealant on the OD of the seal, and some lithium grease on the shaft prior to install. Haven't tried this yet, so I can't quantify it's effectiveness.

Great job on putting a basic demo of proper engine assembly :)

Grease helps protect the seal as you install it over the shaft it is to seal. Sliding a dry seal over a dry shaft end can damage the seal. I would not say everything I do is proper:) but thanks for the compliment!

---------- Post added at 12:17 AM ---------- Previous post was at 12:06 AM ----------

buckets and Shims are all installed.

p1627963_1.jpg

Little bit of high zinc cam assembly grease from my buddy Mr. Schnieder.

p1627963_2.jpg

From here on I thought we got some pics of installing the cams and working on the shim clearance. But I don't seem to have them. So I missed out on pics of the cam install and cam gears.

Here is a pic of the rear seal on the motor.

p1627963_3.jpg

Now a completed long block ready to head out the door.

p1627963_4.jpg

So I am missing pics of installing the crank scraper, damper, and oil pan as well. Crap, maybe the next one.

SupraSabre

Older Then Most
Jan 17, 2007
Murrieta, CA
www.hamptonrpi.com
Rich,

Just found your thread here! Your engine looks great! When are you going to start selling rebuilt engines on Ebay?...;)

I'm still trying to figure out what to do with my Supra, Looks like I need a new engine, so I'm thinking of picking up another JDM and replace the Headgasket before I put it in!

suprarich

Nov 9, 2005
ohio
whitemike;1628009 said:
Curious how much a build like that would cost out the door?

Not as much as one might think Mike. Having thoughts maybe??

SupraSabre;1628294 said:
Rich,

Just found your thread here! Your engine looks great! When are you going to start selling rebuilt engines on Ebay?...;)

I'm still trying to figure out what to do with my Supra, Looks like I need a new engine, so I'm thinking of picking up another JDM and replace the Headgasket before I put it in!

Ebay?? Jinky...I can only imagine what the sellers fee would be for that!! I have several motors here that I might build on spec to sell if I ever get caught up. Watch out for some of those JDM engines, they could be in bad shape to begin with. Rebuild your motor!