Removing the needles in the instrument cluster..

Orion ZyGarian

Jeff Lange wannabe
Apr 2, 2005
Sarasota, FLorida
www.suprastore.com
So. How do I do it? I searched around and checked the TSRM to no avail.

See, years ago, I bought some ricer reverse glow gauges on eBay and they look badass when lit up. Unfortunately, I have no idea how to remove the needles on the stock gauges to replace the face plates with my uber Taiwanese domestic market ones. Getting to this point thus far has been insanely easy; using simple common sense to remove the gauge cluster without any manuals.

However, I am extremely reluctant to try to use any force to take the dial off. I've been extremely careful thus far and REALLY dont want to damage anything at this stage.

On a side note, is it just me, or is the oil pressure gauge a retarded piece of crap? That or ingenious, its hard to tell.

Anyways, I just got my internet back, so I'm enjoying that. I think until I get a response, I'll start figuring how to wire my e-fans to my TEMS switch. I figure "normal" for on and "sport" for off...ingenious, right? I might glance at the wiring diagram, but after taking apart the switch, I think I'm better off using my DVOM to see what gets power when and use that to get the fans to work.

CRE

7M-GE + MAFT Pro + T = :D
Oct 24, 2005
Denver, CO
The needles are pressure fit. Rotate the needle counter clockwise until it stops, remember the location and pull it off. Swap face and put the needle back on in the same place.

As for the TEMS wired fans.... you kidding? Might seem like a good idea, but only if you've got additional controllers in place. The TEMS mode does not necessarily indicate a high or low engine load.

emiliorescigno

Supramania Contributor
Sep 17, 2006
Woodbury, MN
When I did mine, I just used two flathead screwdrivers (with the tips wrapped in electrical tape, to prevent damage) and gently pried from underneath at the same time. Gentile but firm force should take them right off.

jetjock

creepy-ass cracka
Jul 11, 2005
Redacted per Title 18 USC Section 798
1) There are special tools made for removing instrument needles. They look and work like....a fork.

2) What's your beef with the oil gage? The design is dictated by the ECU's need for a digital input and contrary to popular belief it's plenty good enough for what it needs to do.

3) TEMS switch: A "glance" at the wiring diagram would be much easier. That said I wouldn't exactly call the idea (assuming it'd be the only method of fan control) ingenious...

Dachande

Arrrrrr Matey
Apr 3, 2005
South Carolina
I used a small spoon to carefully pop them off. Just be careful that the needles go back in the right place or you'll have them reading way off...and then it's a pain in the ass to do all the work over again.

Suprizim TT

Apr 26, 2008
Los Angeles
One thing about moving the neddles of your cluster that it will never be the same again.

I changed the faces of off my cluster and i put the needles back how they where and my gas meter and my temp. meter where off.

these are my 2 cents.

SupraMario

I think it was the google
Mar 30, 2005
The Farm
CRE;1029628 said:
As for the TEMS wired fans.... you kidding? Might seem like a good idea, but only if you've got additional controllers in place. The TEMS mode does not necessarily indicate a high or low engine load.

Care to explain?

TEMS = Toyota Electronically Modulated Suspension and has nothing to do with the engine BTW.

Suprizim TT;1029885 said:
One thing about moving the neddles of your cluster that it will never be the same again.

I changed the faces of off my cluster and i put the needles back how they where and my gas meter and my temp. meter where off.

these are my 2 cents.

If you use the tool JJ was talking about they will be fine.

CRE

Oct 24, 2005
Denver, CO
D34DC311;1029890 said:
TEMS = Toyota Electronically Modulated Suspension and has nothing to do with the engine BTW.

Absolutely! So why would you connect your electric fans to it? :3d_frown:

SupraMario

I think it was the google
Mar 30, 2005
The Farm
CRE;1029906 said:
Absolutely! So why would you connect your electric fans to it? :3d_frown:

I think he was talking about using them for just an ON/OFF switch AKA manually turning them on and off(dunno why) but thats what he was talking about.

CRE

Oct 24, 2005
Denver, CO
D34DC311;1029912 said:
I think he was talking about using them for just an ON/OFF switch AKA manually turning them on and off(dunno why) but thats what he was talking about.

Ah, so he plans on disabling the TEMS and just using the switch... okay. (It's still a bad idea if it's the sole means of control.)

Orion ZyGarian

Jeff Lange wannabe
Apr 2, 2005
Sarasota, FLorida
www.suprastore.com
Sorry for the lack of clarification. I dont have TEMS actuators on my car; pretty sure the previous owner went aftermarket with the strut and spring. As such, the only thing my TEMS button does is turn on the second LED. As was stated, I'm only using it as an on/off switch.

I'm intrigued by the oil pressure gauge design. Reassembly may be difficult, but it is important. I'm surprised that it works so well.

I'm going to try prying gently. I like the "turn the dials all the way counter-clockwise" idea, as it will more closely keep the calibration.

CRE

Oct 24, 2005
Denver, CO
The only way I'd connect the fans to the TEMS switch would be by running the signal to a comparator so the fans will only step up from the current speed which should still be determined by the temp sensor.

Oh, and what in particular are you looking to accomplish with the oil pressure gauge? If you want quicker response it's the sender which needs to be reworked.

Orion ZyGarian

Jeff Lange wannabe
Apr 2, 2005
Sarasota, FLorida
www.suprastore.com
Not going to mess with the oil pressure gauge, just putting a new face on it. Its not broken, so I'm not going to fix it; I only fear I may break things when putting these new faces on.

I dont have a thermostatically controlled e-fan setup. I suppose if I wanted to, since the car was originally automatic, I could have the third fan on always via Ign+, but I just dont think its worth it.

Had I been the one to install the fans, I wouldve probably put one in, but I think its unnecessary work until I redo the whole car later in life.

Facime

Leather work expert
Jun 1, 2006
Corvallis OR
I would take out the TEMS switches, put in the little stock cup that replaces it, and wire up an on off switch as an over-ride to a thermostatically controlled switch....but thats just me.

Ohh and, didnt I read somwhere that the needles on the pre89 cluster dont come off like the later needles? That seems to stick in my braind for some reason. As for putting new faces on the gauges, you dont really have to take the needles off at all. Just slip the hole in the new face over the tip of the needle and with a slight bend on the face, slide it down to the center. Took me like 5 minutes to install my faces and no fear of messed up needles.

CRE

Oct 24, 2005
Denver, CO
No way the needles on my 89+ gauges could stay on for the swap. And the pre89 come off the same way.

CRE

Oct 24, 2005
Denver, CO
theWeezL;1030279 said:
huh, ok, I guess I was just too afraid to apply "firm but gentle pressure", lol.

Yeah, if you recall it's just like prom night... "firm but gentle pressure", and she'll cave eventually. :naughty: