removing ABS

4U2QUIK

1UZFE SWAP DUDE!!!
So, I've been looking for an answer for awhile now on how to remove the abs system. I've read a couple of threads where people mention doing this but no specifics. Can anyone give me a heads up on what's involved?
BTW I want to remove the abs because 1st off I'm not a fan of abs. and two, I'd like to clean up my engine bay. It looks too cluttered from the factory.

supraguru05

Offical SM Expert: Suspension & Vehicle Dynamic
SM Expert
Dec 16, 2005
louisville ky
a simple order to champion remove the ecu and the abs module and your good to go. did it last year due to bad wheel sensors and or broken solonoids. its on my race car anyway so im good without it.

90413-10203
47371-30010
47322-14230
47312-14160
47314-14141
47313-14222

reference these two figures and figure out whats not the same.

http://www.cygnusx1.net/Supra/Library/EPC/291420/catalog.aspx?F=4708&P=1
http://www.cygnusx1.net/Supra/Library/EPC/291420/catalog.aspx?F=4708&P=2

i also have since switched my car to non abs spindles

also i am not liable if you kill yourself when your brakes fail. this is to be done on a car that is never to be driven or liscened or insured

johnd

Supramania Contributor
Dec 4, 2007
Ont. CA.
Code:
I am going to watch this thread. I wan't to do this also, anybody have pics or right up on a rerouting the brake lines.
Sorry for steeling.

Guyana00

Droppin that JZ in soon!
Apr 18, 2007
Brampton, ON
Honestly, I don't want to change the direction of the thread more than you already have, but for "custom routed" brake lines you just need to figure out a safe path you'd like them to take and get some custom bent lines or bend them your self. You could probably go to some parts stores and look at the pre-bent ones that will fit your application and you might be in luck.

4U: Good luck with the removal, take your time and just double check everything before you finish up. Make sure to test in a safe area probably at lower speeds in case of failure or mistakes made. Empty parking lot of a nearby school or something.

4U2QUIK

1UZFE SWAP DUDE!!!
Thanks, I've actually done brake lines several times before, I was mostly trying to find the diagrams that show the difference between he two systems so i could grab existing lines and parts off a non abs supra. and since i'm getting parts from pick n pull, I wanted to know exactly which pieces to grab. So I don't buy unneeded parts.

NashMan

WTF did he just wright ?
Aug 5, 2005
Victoria BC
well i just fished my swap out is pretty dame easy

parts you need of a none abs are

all the front half brake lines
the main line that goes to the rear of the car
the line with the t the front you don't need

that is all

ps abs blows goats any ways

got_boosted

I need a turbo! >:(
Mar 3, 2006
Sacramento, CA
I'm doing the same thing. My ABS doesn't work in my 91 due to failing sensors and I don't really feel like going through the trouble to fix it. I've got an N/A non-abs parts car parked right next to it, so it should be pretty simple. Remember to change your master cylinder too. They are different for non-abs, makes the wheels a little less likely to lock. I'm buying a new one since it's not something I want to have fail on me or have to replace later.

Collin

jdub

Official SM Expert: Motor Oil, Lubricants & Fil
SM Expert
Feb 10, 2006
Valley of the Sun
4U2QUIK;1185713 said:
thanks a million. at least 1 person understands....

And none of them will be "old school" guys...another "clean-up the engine bay" crusade that results in a host of self induced problems.
I'll be watching with amusement ;)

NashMan

WTF did he just wright ?
Aug 5, 2005
Victoria BC
got_boosted;1185751 said:
I'm doing the same thing. My ABS doesn't work in my 91 due to failing sensors and I don't really feel like going through the trouble to fix it. I've got an N/A non-abs parts car parked right next to it, so it should be pretty simple. Remember to change your master cylinder too. They are different for non-abs, makes the wheels a little less likely to lock. I'm buying a new one since it's not something I want to have fail on me or have to replace later.

Collin

master not needed wonte cause it to lock up
it all works the same

your welcome i just saved you some time

Rennat

5psi...? haha
Dec 6, 2005
Tracy, CA
www.myspace.com
4U2QUIK;1185744 said:
Thanks, I've actually done brake lines several times before, I was mostly trying to find the diagrams that show the difference between he two systems so i could grab existing lines and parts off a non abs supra. and since i'm getting parts from pick n pull, I wanted to know exactly which pieces to grab. So I don't buy unneeded parts.

when you do this, let me know how much the lines cost you. cause i wanna do the same, my old supra didnt have abs, and i loved it, it was very predictable and i miss that.

adampecush

Regular Supramaniac
May 11, 2006
Edmonton
get a freakin dealer quote...the lines are much cheaper than you think.

as for removing abs....not going to touch that, other than pointing out that I went out of my way to keep it installed on my car.

Rennat

5psi...? haha
Dec 6, 2005
Tracy, CA
www.myspace.com
i researched, 3 out of the 5 lines are discontinued, i'll go with a list, but i have a feeling that my local dealer isnt going to be beat by the local yards...

so dont go spoutin off about going straight to the dealer.

wtf is this part number for though? i cant find it...
90413-10203

figgie

Supramania Contributor
Mar 30, 2005
Twin Cities, Minnesot-ah
NashMan;1185749 said:
ps abs blows goats any ways

BMW, Porsche and the rest of the GT touring series, Porche Cup, LeMans, Grand Am etc will disagree with you.

As a matter of fact ABS is so critical in racing now a days the Bosch MotorSports just released a STANDALONE ABS system with stability control built in.

http://www.bosch-motorsport.com/content/language2/html/3720.htm

All sensors included AND the ABS system is programmed to YOUR car (weight, weight distribution, rubber, suspension, ABS on/off time etc).

Cost is about $10,000 USD but for a race team. Peanuts. Now if you want to bring the MKIII Supra into the 21st century with 4 wheel ABS AND stability control. This ABS system or one off the E36 BMW which is what most race teams used before (yes from the STOCK BMW E36).

Poodles

I play with fire
Jul 22, 2006
Fort Worth, TX
We have a 3 channel ABS system (4 channel would be better), but last I checked we didn't have 3 brake pedals on the floor.

You're NOT going to out-brake a properly setup ABS car, and you're certainly not going to late brake into a corner and keep control.

We don't have the modern ABS + brake assist garbage that is on modern cars that steps in too early.

It's your life, do what you want, just don't post a thread saying the brakes on our cars suck when you lock them up and slide into someone...

4U2QUIK

1UZFE SWAP DUDE!!!
So that explains why my abs didn't work so great last year when some old fart pulled out in front of me in his caddy? Most older abs systems actually suck ass. Compared to a modern lexus or mercedes abs there's no comparison or reason you'd ever want to remove abs in cars like that. But this 1980's abs system sucks the goat's cocknballs.

NashMan

WTF did he just wright ?
Aug 5, 2005
Victoria BC
figgie;1185847 said:
BMW, Porsche and the rest of the GT touring series, Porche Cup, LeMans, Grand Am etc will disagree with you.

As a matter of fact ABS is so critical in racing now a days the Bosch MotorSports just released a STANDALONE ABS system with stability control built in.

http://www.bosch-motorsport.com/content/language2/html/3720.htm

All sensors included AND the ABS system is programmed to YOUR car (weight, weight distribution, rubber, suspension, ABS on/off time etc).

Cost is about $10,000 USD but for a race team. Peanuts. Now if you want to bring the MKIII Supra into the 21st century with 4 wheel ABS AND stability control. This ABS system or one off the E36 BMW which is what most race teams used before (yes from the STOCK BMW E36).

don't get me wroung abs is great if set up right or proper controler
mk3 supra or any thing around that era of cars the abs just umm junk i find for sprite has a freaking clue driver

plus with 2 way or 1.5 way lsd if you dump a gear and chrip your tires the abs will go off given you no brakes

this is my reson for getting rid of it and can stop faster once i put my r componds on and if dump a gear abs will not go off

Poodles;1185876 said:
We have a 3 channel ABS system (4 channel would be better), but last I checked we didn't have 3 brake pedals on the floor.

You're NOT going to out-brake a properly setup ABS car, and you're certainly not going to late brake into a corner and keep control.

We don't have the modern ABS + brake assist garbage that is on modern cars that steps in too early.

It's your life, do what you want, just don't post a thread saying the brakes on our cars suck when you lock them up and slide into someone...

i think i will be fine thanks for careing