removing ABS

Poodles

I play with fire
Jul 22, 2006
Fort Worth, TX
4U2QUIK;1185900 said:
So that explains why my abs didn't work so great last year when some old fart pulled out in front of me in his caddy? Most older abs systems actually suck ass. Compared to a modern lexus or mercedes abs there's no comparison or reason you'd ever want to remove abs in cars like that. But this 1980's abs system sucks the goat's cocknballs.

Actually, it works very well, but your braking distance is dependant on you TIRES more than anything.

More than likely you would have wrecked anyway, stop blaiming the car you sound like all the people that hate on the 7M for getting rodknock.

Dirgle

Conjurer of Boost
Mar 30, 2005
Pauma Valley, CA
The MKIII's ABS isn't all that bad, GM's 1st gen ABS system, now that was total junk. The Supras ABS has saved my ass on more than one occasion. So I'm not sure what the obsession is with calling the MKIII's ABS system junk is but it's simply unfounded.

jdub

Official SM Expert: Motor Oil, Lubricants & Fil
SM Expert
Feb 10, 2006
Valley of the Sun
Dirgle - It's junk if it's busted and you don't want to take the time to maintain or fix it. ;)
Kinda like Poodles said about RK...you run it out of oil and it's the motor's fault for getting RK.

Rennat

5psi...? haha
Dec 6, 2005
Tracy, CA
www.myspace.com
the best part is that you only have to change the lines, and not the junction block things.

im suprised you just dont make your own though 4U2QUIK... i mean, its not like you couldnt get the SS tube and the fittings... lol

Rennat

5psi...? haha
Dec 6, 2005
Tracy, CA
www.myspace.com
its only like 5 lines... make a set and i'll buy one kit off you. the brake tubing is CHEAP! i would think that one 25ft roll will do two cars with how long the lines are...

let me know if you wanna get together and figure something out... i still have your leak down tester. haha...

and this may sound a little crazy... buttttt... couldnt we just cut the ends off of your brake lines now and then just pick up the tubing... that way there wouldnt be an issue of finding the right fitting... or go to pick and pull and cut of all of the fittings we need. haha. but if i go out there i'll just grab a set anyways...

wiseco7mgt

dirty mechanic
Aug 12, 2007
queensland
I can understand why people would want to swap out of A.B.S if they built a car with different engine tranny e.t.c and couldnt get the a.b.s to work properly anyway.If it doesnt work properly its a hazard ..

supraguru05

Offical SM Expert: Suspension & Vehicle Dynamic
SM Expert
Dec 16, 2005
louisville ky
none of those lines are discontinued. dont make your own lines all those lines together cost like 70 bucks. go to toyotaworld.com and order them or find a parts car.

just got a quote its 74 plus shipping. one of the lines might be a little big to ship from toyota world so your better ordering that one from the dealer. if your going to remove the abs just use the factory lines they fit in the clamps that are already on your car and fit perfect.

please dont turn this thread into a abs versus non abs thread. i removed the abs for racing reasons. however i am confident in my abilities to prevent or control wheel lockup. if your removing the abs for a cleaner engine bay my opinion is thats stupid but thats not what this thead is about. i have answered your question fully so there. here is what your cart will look like

OEM Catalog
WAY, 3 $15.92 $12.10 $0.00 $12.10 Delete From Cart
OEM Catalog
CLAMP, BRAKE TUBE W/ $13.72 $10.43 $0.00 $10.43 Delete From Cart
OEM Catalog
TUBE, RR BRAKE, NO.2 $19.43 $14.77 $0.00 $14.77 Delete From Cart
OEM Catalog
TUBE, FR BRAKE, NO.2 $10.77 $8.19 $0.00 $8.19 Delete From Cart
OEM Catalog
TUBE, FR BRAKE, NO.4 $12.98 $9.86 $0.00 $9.86 Delete From Cart
OEM Catalog
TUBE, FR BRAKE, NO.3 $24.69 $18.76 $0.00 $18.7

supraguru05

Offical SM Expert: Suspension & Vehicle Dynamic
SM Expert
Dec 16, 2005
louisville ky
jdub;1185757 said:
And none of them will be "old school" guys...another "clean-up the engine bay" crusade that results in a host of self induced problems.
I'll be watching with amusement ;)

ouch :cry:

Poodles

I play with fire
Jul 22, 2006
Fort Worth, TX
No reason to remove it on a race car... or did you miss what figgie wrote?

On a full out drag car where I was trying to drop weight on the car I can see it.

Rennat

5psi...? haha
Dec 6, 2005
Tracy, CA
www.myspace.com
supraguru05;1186409 said:
none of those lines are discontinued. dont make your own lines all those lines together cost like 70 bucks. go to toyotaworld.com and order them or find a parts car.

just got a quote its 74 plus shipping. one of the lines might be a little big to ship from toyota world so your better ordering that one from the dealer. if your going to remove the abs just use the factory lines they fit in the clamps that are already on your car and fit perfect.

please dont turn this thread into a abs versus non abs thread. i removed the abs for racing reasons. however i am confident in my abilities to prevent or control wheel lockup. if your removing the abs for a cleaner engine bay my opinion is thats stupid but thats not what this thead is about. i have answered your question fully so there. here is what your cart will look like

OEM Catalog
WAY, 3 $15.92 $12.10 $0.00 $12.10 Delete From Cart
OEM Catalog
CLAMP, BRAKE TUBE W/ $13.72 $10.43 $0.00 $10.43 Delete From Cart
OEM Catalog
TUBE, RR BRAKE, NO.2 $19.43 $14.77 $0.00 $14.77 Delete From Cart
OEM Catalog
TUBE, FR BRAKE, NO.2 $10.77 $8.19 $0.00 $8.19 Delete From Cart
OEM Catalog
TUBE, FR BRAKE, NO.4 $12.98 $9.86 $0.00 $9.86 Delete From Cart
OEM Catalog
TUBE, FR BRAKE, NO.3 $24.69 $18.76 $0.00 $18.7

have you ever looked how much brake lines costs?
$70 isnt too bad... but i could go to the junkyard, and the gas, entry fee, and the parts wouldnt cost that much...

and i want to remove it because i drove a non-abs supra for a while and i got use to it. i just want that back... simple as that. nothing about weight, or whether or not its "better"... i want what i know, because i know how to control that.

NashMan

WTF did he just wright ?
Aug 5, 2005
Victoria BC
junk yard my vote in less wana be spiffy and make stainless lines i go to truble to do if i cared that much

Poodles

I play with fire
Jul 22, 2006
Fort Worth, TX
If you get junkyard lines, make sure to flush them really well.

On a side note, you never feel ABS unless you need it in our cars, so it's a bad excuse...

Trying real hard not to be a dick, but I've been in all kinds of cars with and without ABS, and ours is VERY good and only steps in when you really need it. Most modern cars are too invasive...

got_boosted

I need a turbo! >:(
Mar 3, 2006
Sacramento, CA
NashMan;1185760 said:
master not needed wonte cause it to lock up
it all works the same

your welcome i just saved you some time

Thanks! Good to know.

My ABS doesn't work. It started out that ABS would activate when it wasn't supposed to and start pulsing whenever I even gently put on the brakes. It actually became dangerous because it would be stopping just fine and then a few feet before where I wanted to stop, it would start pulsing and I'd lose my brakes for a second under light pressure of the pedal. It caused me to roll through a few stop signs, and the car would pull to the left. It doesn't work at all anymore. I'm thinking that a sensor was dying and is now completely dead. Now the ABS light comes on when I start it and the ABS system is disabled. I'm turning the car into a double duty track car that is still easily streetable for when I want to have a some fun. I've had non-ABS Supras in the past, and it takes a little bit more practice to be safe, not hitting the brakes too hard even in panic situations. I plan to take the car to a safe place where I can get some speed and relearn the brakes and hopefully build some good reflexes.