removing ABS

supraguru05

Offical SM Expert: Suspension & Vehicle Dynamic
SM Expert
Dec 16, 2005
louisville ky
Poodles;1186601 said:
No reason to remove it on a race car... or did you miss what figgie wrote?

On a full out drag car where I was trying to drop weight on the car I can see it.

this will be my last post in this thread but poodles when the abs goes off it removes a large part of braking power from you. with r compounds even if the fronts lock up the car is still stopping relatively hard. also abs hinders my ability to trail brake in which i may be dragging the inside front tire. if the abs kicks off and or possibly malfunctions something like this could happen. very few people here actually road race competitively which i am a group away from being in TT so im not so sure many people have experience with it.

http://www.lotustalk.com/forums/f223/crash-mid-ohio-scca-t2-nissan-61500/

from his data logs its a suspected abs failure.

junk yard brake lines are ok just be sure to pick up the three way valve and its mounting bracket. and clean the lines out and watch out for rust. depending on where you live this could be a problem.

Poodles

I play with fire
Jul 22, 2006
Fort Worth, TX
Lock a tire up and it's no longer slowing you down effectively...

I can count quite a few cars on these forums that if they had ABS wouldn't have been wrecked.

Suspect ABS failure from that car? You do realise that isn't the same ABS system we run, right?

supradjza80

Mr. Formula SAE
Apr 24, 2007
Appleton, WI
www.uwracing.com
Poodles;1186814 said:
If you get junkyard lines, make sure to flush them really well.

On a side note, you never feel ABS unless you need it in our cars, so it's a bad excuse...

Trying real hard not to be a dick, but I've been in all kinds of cars with and without ABS, and ours is VERY good and only steps in when you really need it. Most modern cars are too invasive...

I agree with you. But if I was building a road race car and was not going to put on a special controllable ABS system, I would get rid of it just for a more consistent pedal feel. On a street car that gets driven aggressively and taken to HPDE's it is an invaluable tool. And yes the MK3/4 supra has an excellent ABS system because it is not TOO invasive like the newer cars that step in even before the tire is about to lock up.

super.secret.supra.club

Supramania Contributor
Mar 22, 2007
San Diego, CA
i beater car is a 2000 chevy s-10. the ABS on that thing is scary as hell. i ran a couple stop signs because of that damn thing.

As far as the ABS on our cars, i think i will keep mine. i wanted to take it off because i didnt want to go through the hassle of diagnosing the problem and spending tons of money for it. SAFETY first!

ed.d.