Red Supra build 500~WHP

Raggan

Mar 16, 2015
Maple Ridge, BC
Hey guys my name is Josh and I figured it was time I started a build progress thread I bought this car about a year ago fully rebuilt fresh paint for 2500. The Supra wouldn't rev past 3000 RPM the guy had it towed from shop to shop and they couldn't figure out what was wrong with it so he got fed up and sold it for cheap. It turned out to be a stuck closed Fuel damper I replaced it with a used one and it ran great. Then about 3 months later I decided to go upgrade the car so I added walbro 255, adjustable pressure regulator, 550cc injectors, lexus afm, SAFC, full 3 inch with turbo elbow, any ways I ended up trying to tune it myself and i fried the rings so i parked it for a while and bought another block to build, but this time I wanted to build it for high performance so I went all out. My advice to anyone that has a supra is if you do get a SAFC installed have a professional shop tune your car so you don't end up like I did. I mean really just have it towed there unless you know what your doing it's not worth it.

I have been saving up pictures. Currently I am pretty far into the build my original build was for 1000HP, which has dropped to 500, for cost efficiency, later it may be more because my block can take it. Currently I have a fully built 88 block with CP pistons, Eagle ESP rods, Cleveite bearings, Drift motion oil pump, Ati damper, bored .20 over. The block is mostly assembled, just needs oil squirters and arizona performance oil feed line. The crank has been polished and balanced. The head has been fully machined for over sized Ferrea valves 1mm over size, Brian crower springs and titanium retainers, Ferrea valve keeps, BC 272 cams coming soon and shim less buckets. I just ordered an HKS stopper head gasket and also a Link G4+ Storm Wire-In ECU, that Bill from Independent Speed Shop recommended. I am currently gutting the engine bay, Removed AC, ABS, few more things that don't work anymore.

Here's my baby

The engine bay before I gutted it

The block I picked up for 200 CAD just a blown head gasket untouched all stock.

The block assembled/Paint

Timing cover installed / -12 AN fitting

Head assembly

Shaving stock valve covers putting -12 and -8 AN fittings/ Polish Unfinished on hold for now. I have more pictures to take there has been some progress on them but I'm focused on the engine bay now.

The old 89 block pulled it out, completely screwed

The proper way to remove A/C condenser

The empty engine bay I have been gutting and removing the bumper to fit a new inter cooler for my front facing manifold

New V band down pipe

I have more pictures to take soon, what do you guys think about the engine bay should i paint it? I think it will cost about 1000 CAD

sheedy126

Boost Addict
Apr 30, 2012
kennewick
Looks like a great start! Reminds me of my engine when I was building it, looks like you're doing a very similar paint scheme so far.

As far as painting the bay, now is the time to do it. If you think you'll paint it eventually down the road, id do it. it'll save you pulling the engine again to paint it.

I wish I would have sprayed mine when I had the engine out

Sent from my LG-LS980 using Tapatalk

Raggan

Mar 16, 2015
Maple Ridge, BC
Yeah you got a point, Idk if i should just go with black or try and color match it, or if i should get it done professionally or do it myself, money is tight with ordering all these parts so....hmmm

sheedy126

Boost Addict
Apr 30, 2012
kennewick
I decided to go with performance parts before appearance, I'm glad I did. It looks like your car had decent outside paint already so I wouldn't worry about the engine bay.

An extra 1000 you would have spent on an engine bay spray could buy you a pretty nice ecu, or turbo. Or both

Raggan

Mar 16, 2015
Maple Ridge, BC
Pretty much, I'm picking up a borg and warner turbo this month hopefully, used but rebuilt.

I might just rattle can it black, or maybe see if I can get some super red in a can or possibly just clean it real good, can always paint it later

sheedy126

Boost Addict
Apr 30, 2012
kennewick
Raggan;2072733 said:
Pretty much, I'm picking up a borg and warner turbo this month hopefully, used but rebuilt.

I might just rattle can it black, or maybe see if I can get some super red in a can or possibly just clean it real good, can always paint it later
A good pressure wash and touch up goes a long way!

I've always been a fan on matching paint color for the entire car. But when done right black can look very nice too.

If the borg warner falls through, a 7blade hx35 can get you pretty close to 500whp. Iirc there was a member on here putting down 475whp at 20lbs. I've been very impressed with mine so far. Spools super fast and pulls all the way to redline. Generally they can be had for around 2-300 from diesel trucks

Raggan

Mar 16, 2015
Maple Ridge, BC
Billybob9187;2072797 said:
Pressure wash it and wax it. I bet you will be happy with the outcome.
theirs quite a few big scratches in the engine bay and the paint isn't the same tone of red as the outside, but i'm going to clean it real good on the next nice day.

Btw guys thanks for the ideas and advice :D

sheedy126

Boost Addict
Apr 30, 2012
kennewick
You may be aware and already have done it, I just can't tell from the pictures.
but make sure you get the rear timing cover plate in and have it decked/resurfaced to the same specs as the block so the head gasket seals properly.

Otherwise shortly after you get the engine together, you'll end up with a BHG

Raggan

Mar 16, 2015
Maple Ridge, BC
I am still waiting on the ferrea valve keeps(tuner reommended i replace them) they are delayed by another week, the head gaskets in though, i will hopefully have the head installed soon. Its a pain waiting but it will be worth it

Raggan

Mar 16, 2015
Maple Ridge, BC
Started to work on the engine bay stripping it down and testing the waters with some rattle can paint.

The paint on the driver side was just pealing off, I'm trying to keep the primer as a base for my spray

My sister washed my car for me, so nice

Locar oil dip stick, oil squirters and gates timing belt on the way, I decided I am going to use stock cams for now, total cost of 272's is around 2,000 with shim less buckets. Cams are on hold for now I wanna get it running, I am also considering using stock intake until I can afford a FFIM, I'm still going to cut the battery tray out and prep it for a FFIM. I'm going to focus on my turbo setup after I get an Arizona performance pipe for my oil pump. I still need to re shim the entire top end all of them are way to tight .006 only fit's into 4 buckets lol....

Raggan

Mar 16, 2015
Maple Ridge, BC
An update got my timing belt today installed it and my ATI dampener. I'm waiting on a friend of mine to find his shims so I can finish my valves. I need some 2.60ish shims, I have some but my lowest size is 2.77. I can't even get them within specs to measure them.

The tuner is asking 800 Canadian for a fresh rebuilt turbo with 1 hour of time on it, Borg and Warner 66/64 water/oil cooled.

Should I do it he has a really good rep, and the turbo seems pretty decent.