Red Ano a gogo

4U2QUIK

1UZFE SWAP DUDE!!!
I decided to try having some of the stock cast aluminum parts anodized, plus I had the aluminum pipes I bought anodized red also.

sm_photo_missing.jpg

sm_photo_missing.jpg

sm_photo_missing.jpg

sm_photo_missing.jpg

sm_photo_missing.jpg

sm_photo_missing.jpg

sm_photo_missing.jpg

sm_photo_missing.jpg

sm_photo_missing.jpg

sm_photo_missing.jpg

sm_photo_missing.jpg

sm_photo_missing.jpg

shaeff

Kurt is FTMFW x2!!!!
Staff member
Super Moderator
Mar 30, 2005
Around
Won't the heat shift the color? Otherwise it looks good on the exterior, not sure why the interior was done too. (Unless that's part of the process, which I know nothing about).

GrimJack

Administrator
Dec 31, 1969
Richmond, BC, Canada
idriders.com
Ya, anodizing involves dipping the piece in a bath of acid while running a current through it.

It's possible to restrict what gets ano'd, but it's not easy. :)

I'm assuming that really looks red in person, instead of pink, and your camera simply needs some color adjustments! :)

4U2QUIK

1UZFE SWAP DUDE!!!
I'm not sure how much the color will shift, but I know from experience that it usually takes an extreme amount of heat before it does a whole lot. Plus cast aluminum acts somewhat different so this is a little bit of an experiment.
The reason why I did it inside and out is because it's a submersion process, and it would be very difficult to mask. plus it's anti-corrosive too.

The anodizing process dye's the aluminum.
The part is first subjected to the actual anodizing process.
basically there's a tub of sulferic acid with a negative terminal insie of it. the part it dipped in the bath with a positive terminal attached to it making it the anode. Hence the anodizing term. after the part is properly etched by this process it's bathed in a boiling bath of special organic dye for a specified amount of time. Then after that it's boiled at a higher temp. for another period of time to seal the color.

Some of the properties that makes anodizing cool it that it's anti-corrosive, and anti-conductive. It won't chip, and it's hard to scratch. Which is due to the fact that the dye penetrates .0002" deep into the aluminum.

Clip

The Magnificent Seven
Oct 16, 2005
Virginia
the ano shouldn't be affected by heat. it's pretty tough stuff, i love it :D i'm not sure if the lower intake is dirty, the anodizing is thin, or the camera is splotchy but the ic pipes and the compressor housing look awesome.

edit: it's good to see someone else into paintball here.

4U2QUIK

1UZFE SWAP DUDE!!!
NewGen;1313079 said:
OOOO I wanna see it installed!
I DO TOO!!!!

85celicasupra;1313094 said:
I woulda went for more of a glossy anno job...

A red anno like on my invert mini would be sweet
The reason why it isn't glossy is because you can't get a glossy finish on castings, and the reason why the tubes aren't glossy is because I bead blasted them first to give them a matte, velvet like appearance.

BTW I almost bought a mini a little while ago. I've been playing paintball for almost 15 years now.

Clip;1313096 said:
the ano shouldn't be affected by heat. it's pretty tough stuff, i love it :D i'm not sure if the lower intake is dirty, the anodizing is thin, or the camera is splotchy but the ic pipes and the compressor housing look awesome.
it's the camera... I suck at taking good pics also.

85celicasupra;1313107 said:
if you dont mind me asking, what did it cost to get all that stuff annoed??

about 140$ for everything so far.

jmanbball

Yellow Jacket
Apr 17, 2006
Hittin' the books at Tech
4U2QUIK;1313348 said:
I DO TOO!!!!

The reason why it isn't glossy is because you can't get a glossy finish on castings, and the reason why the tubes aren't glossy is because I bead blasted them first to give them a matte, velvet like appearance.

You can, but you have to polish the hell out of them first. I like the matte finish better though.

Clip

The Magnificent Seven
Oct 16, 2005
Virginia
we did some anodizing at home for a school science project. only thing that was hard to source was concentrated nitric acid to clean the parts before we dipped them in sulfuric with a batttery charger running current.

4U2QUIK

1UZFE SWAP DUDE!!!
jmanbball;1313354 said:
You can, but you have to polish the hell out of them first. I like the matte finish better though.
it depends on the casting also. I've polished the living crap out of some other toyota parts and they came out matte anyway. I think it has to do with the specific formulation that they use for their castings.

Clip;1313358 said:
we did some anodizing at home for a school science project. only thing that was hard to source was concentrated nitric acid to clean the parts before we dipped them in sulfuric with a batttery charger running current.

there's ways to get around the nitric acid bath.

Clip

The Magnificent Seven
Oct 16, 2005
Virginia
4U2QUIK;1313438 said:
there's ways to get around the nitric acid bath.

i've heard you can just give things a meticulous cleaning and it'll be fine, but we went ahead and used nitric since it was a school project in combination with the chemistry dept and we had access.