**Realistically** Freezing point of gasoline

IwantMKIII

WVU MAEngineering
Jun 12, 2007
Perkasie, PA
Would like this in a tech section to avoid BS answers but not sure where to put it.

I know theoretically gasoline has a very low freezing point, somewhere in the -90+*F range from what i've read. However, with todays additives and such especially water, at what point does the temperature become a problem. For example:

lets say its flows from a stock supra fuel line from the pump which has a relatively small diameter. Lets assume we're in Anartica and its -30F outside. Will the additives/water (the main concern here) freeze up and create a blockage potentially/eventually, or will the gasoline just wash any build up away. Maybe even the frozen particles build up in the fuel filter? Thoughts?

I'm just curious in general FYI. *****If you have no factual knowledge on this please do not post, or at least something to backup your claims*****

SupraOfDoom

Starcraft II ^^;;
Mar 30, 2005
Milwaukee, WI
www.cardomain.com
Well, I can tell you I had a Chevy Lumina that the fuel Froze over night at a 3rd shift job I had. At least this is what I assume because I tried jumping with no luck. It was about -19 out plus windchill. It was crazy. I think out of 60 employee's about 10-15 got their cars to start. The people who did pretty much jumped everyone else in the parking lot. I was one of the poor guys who didn't get it running... caught a ride home.

Davismj711

PA Mountain Supra
-97 degees F (-71.7 C), but the problem is that gasoline is not a single component, so it doesn't freeze all at once. The best answer would be that it *starts* to freeze at -97, but some hydrocarbons in the gasoline will not freeze until -300F (-184C).

This of course is eliminating any H2O, hence we all know where that freezes.

IwantMKIII

WVU MAEngineering
Jun 12, 2007
Perkasie, PA
Davismj711;1296205 said:
-97 degees F (-71.7 C), but the problem is that gasoline is not a single component, so it doesn't freeze all at once. The best answer would be that it *starts* to freeze at -97, but some hydrocarbons in the gasoline will not freeze until -300F (-184C).

This of course is eliminating any H2O, hence we all know where that freezes.

this is the point, water IS in gas, now more then ever. So this is something i'm looking for info on or at least educated thoughts.

IwantMKIII

WVU MAEngineering
Jun 12, 2007
Perkasie, PA
i guess maybe pressure from the pump would prevent any major build up of ice except maybe in the filter. however the spray point at the injectors could be an issue unless the engine heat was hot enough to prevent this

Pernilongo

LADA is my daily
Jul 15, 2007
Los Angeles
I lived in Siberia and never heard of such issues. At -40C with all the crappy gas that is sold in Russia not a single i came across such an issue. Diesels yes, they wont start. I don't know maybe donkey piss helps to protect gas from freezing over there. :biglaugh:

GrimJack

Administrator
Dec 31, 1969
Richmond, BC, Canada
idriders.com
Actually, -40 is about the same on both scales.

I've never seen gasoline freeze, but I've seen water in the gas freeze and block the lines. I don't recall the exact temp, but it was colder than -20, that's for damn sure.

IwantMKIII

WVU MAEngineering
Jun 12, 2007
Perkasie, PA
Pernilongo;1296270 said:
Does it say C or F after 40?

Just not used to the "C" here and wanted to be sure it wasn't a typo is all

GrimJack;1296287 said:
Actually, -40 is about the same on both scales.

I've never seen gasoline freeze, but I've seen water in the gas freeze and block the lines. I don't recall the exact temp, but it was colder than -20, that's for damn sure.

That was what i was wondering, whether it ever actually blocked lines or not. And if so, when.

toy fanatic78;1296292 said:
HAHA reading owned you.

Meh, just making sure. No harm in that.

gaboonviper85

Supramania Contributor
Jan 13, 2008
Northeast Philly
in todays climates where you are located ice would never form enough to block a fuel line....

now ive had ice form in quad's (aka 4wheelers) fuel lines during the winter when i lived in canada but never ever did our cars freeze even when we had record colds...

Guyana00

Droppin that JZ in soon!
Apr 18, 2007
Brampton, ON
Water should be floating in the tank and not get picked up by the pump unless you run it really low. In the winter time, gas companies change the composition of the gas according to climate and that changes the volatility and freezing temps as well.

You really shouldn't have anything worry about as gas is mixed for the climate depending on where you live. As others have said though, water can become involved.

There are additives out there that work in two ways. One way is it mixes with the water and allows it to burn like fuel and act act more like gasoline and not freeze so easily. I forget the other type of additive at the moment and how it works.

If you are that concerned you can drain the tank and refill it with gas. I'm curious why you asked because it's approaching summer right now for the most part you shouldn't have a problem with this, did you have this problem in the past winter?

IwantMKIII

WVU MAEngineering
Jun 12, 2007
Perkasie, PA
^To clarify, I have NO issues with this. This question is purely for information on the subject as there is not much out there that I could find. I was just sitting and thinking about it one day.

figgie

Supramania Contributor
Mar 30, 2005
Twin Cities, Minnesot-ah
ASTM Method D1015 and Method D1016.

http://www.astm.org/Standards/D1015.htm
http://www.astm.org/Standards/D1016.htm

PS

I never had an issue with gasoline at -40F when I was in Grand Forks, North Dakota. Can't say the same for the diesel folks or airplanes but that was not because it was freezing. It was because the temprature was below the flashpoint, like E85 hence the E70 blends during winter.

adampecush

Regular Supramaniac
May 11, 2006
Edmonton
Guyana00;1296376 said:
Water should be floating in the tank

huh??

water is denser than gasoline, therefore, gasoline floats on water.

methyl hydrate is gasline antifreeze. it acts to lower the freezing point of the water within the line/tank.

The problem with diesels is not that the fuel "freezes" per se, but certain components within the fuel turn to wax at what is called the "cloud point". Refineries adjust the cloud point with the ambient temperature, so a summer blend of diesel may cloud up in winter, preventing starting.