Raised Cowl Hood Feeler Thread (DO U WANT ONE)

Would like to have a hood like this?

• Yes

Votes: 23 71.9%
  • No

Votes: 9 28.1%

• Total voters

te72

Classifieds Moderator
Staff member
Mar 26, 2006
WHYoming
mattsplat72;1647173 said:
I like that hood with these exceptions. Minus Intake vent, Minus Twin vents at the rear , and straight lines following cowl line for rad vent.

Good vent idea here as well Kenny. ;)

(references the Stout hood i posted up btw)

boostcraver

Mar 13, 2010
Louisville, KY
CajunKenny;1647816 said:
We're still ironing some details; but, here is some definitive information: (this is directly from the builder)

Shipping: I plan on finding an agency that will guarantee to meet or beat any other prices I may find. So you might mention that I am going to do such and if anyone wants or can find a better price, I will be sure to relay it to the company we end up working with. I'm not sure yet what the price range will be but I would be surprised to see any figures below $150. Most companies charge the same rates nationwide. I'll make sure its as cheap as it can be!

Hood struts: All of the "hard points" in the hood will be designed for its particular use. That means the hood latch, strut mounts and hood hinge mounts will all be metal under carbon and bonded in place during the making of each hood. I'm going to treat this project as if it were going on an airplane.

Windshield washer squirters: holes will be made to accommodate stock sprayers.

Cost for vents: Since there has not been an agreement for vents, I will have to treat them like their own custom project. I have a few ideas and I think I can keep the cost low but no processes have been set in stone. As of now, vents will be on a case by case basis and not considered standard.

More info to follow...

boostcraver: How does this sway your decision?

I will fold good sir. Thanks anyway for the opportunity. I'm sure I can still put the money to good use somehow...

CajunKenny

PULL MY FINGER. PLEASE!
Nov 15, 2007
Washington
boostcraver;1648129 said:
I will fold good sir. Thanks anyway for the opportunity. I'm sure I can still put the money to good use somehow...

Thanks for letting me know sooner than later. That is appreciated! :)

If you don't mind, can you tell me why you opted out? Design...price...? Just curious.

te72

Classifieds Moderator
Staff member
Mar 26, 2006
WHYoming
whitemike;1648268 said:
Kenny I'd like one for my birthday if you would be so kind ;)

Well shit if that's an option around here... :biglaugh:

boostcraver

Mar 13, 2010
Louisville, KY
CajunKenny;1648257 said:
Thanks for letting me know sooner than later. That is appreciated! :)

If you don't mind, can you tell me why you opted out? Design...price...? Just curious.

I'm sure if your builder is gonna go through the trouble to add the vents I wanted to the cowl hood everyone else is getting, he won't do it for free ( I wouldn't). At the least, he would need to make a separate mold for the vents and add them to the mold for my hood after he made the other nine. If it were me doing it, I would make a whole other mold for that hood to make it the best it could be. He might do that too, but either way, still not free:( So to answer your question directly, it is the lack of ability to get the design wanted for the price I can readily pay. If I could still get the vents with the cowl hood for the same $700 everyone else is paying, I would still be in for sure. Unless you know something I don't...:)

CajunKenny

PULL MY FINGER. PLEASE!
Nov 15, 2007
Washington
whitemike;1648268 said:
Kenny I'd like one for my birthday if you would be so kind ;)

te72;1648451 said:
Well shit if that's an option around here... :biglaugh:

Koenigturbo;1648543 said:
Yeah, but your birthday has to be within the Group buy time slot.:yelrotflm

As soon as I cash in that winning lotto ticket......... ;)

boostcraver;1648553 said:
I'm sure if your builder is gonna go through the trouble to add the vents I wanted to the cowl hood everyone else is getting, he won't do it for free ( I wouldn't). At the least, he would need to make a separate mold for the vents and add them to the mold for my hood after he made the other nine. If it were me doing it, I would make a whole other mold for that hood to make it the best it could be. He might do that too, but either way, still not free:( So to answer your question directly, it is the lack of ability to get the design wanted for the price I can readily pay. If I could still get the vents with the cowl hood for the same $700 everyone else is paying, I would still be in for sure. Unless you know something I don't...:)

I understand completely. I guess you can stick around and see if anyone decides on vents. I'm sure the builder will have a ballpark figure for vents at some point so keep an eye out and see what happens.

boostcraver

Mar 13, 2010
Louisville, KY
CajunKenny;1648557 said:
I understand completely. I guess you can stick around and see if anyone decides on vents. I'm sure the builder will have a ballpark figure for vents at some point so keep an eye out and see what happens.

Will do. Thanks again.

tekdeus

Pronounced Tek-DAY-us
Jan 23, 2006
Vancouver Canada
www.bitrontech.com
I think mine is 2". Also, I might suggest shaving the windshield washers, and picking up a set of GM clip-on nozzles that attach to the wiper arms. That's what I did, and just extended the hoses for a cleaner stealth look. (I think they were from a '95 Pontiac Grand Prix)

Also, I think any gas strut will flex/bow any carbon hood, so I wouldn't suggest it. It takes some time, but it's not hard to fab up my golf-shaft hood prop. Lol:
http://www.supramania.com/forums/showthread.php?84095-My-hood-prop-idea-for-carbon-fibre-hoods!

prop%20015.jpg

Koenigturbo

Oct 4, 2006
Oxnard CA
I'm thinking Brad is right about the hood struts I think in time it's gonna flex/bow. I'm gonna look into an old school Corvette style hood prop they are mechanical and not gas charged struts. ( late sixties vette). Thanks Brad, this answers the big questions for a lot of guys that are interested in this group buy. I was looking at your build thread for a very long time and concluded that your hood was at least two inches tall, cool thanks now we know. I'm gonna forget about what I said about "no more than 1 1/2 in height."

I

Last edited:

SupraRon

Supramania Contributor
Jan 2, 2008
Canada
Hi Kenny, I might be interested in this depending on the finances. I should be able to let you know within a week or so.

CajunKenny

PULL MY FINGER. PLEASE!
Nov 15, 2007
Washington
Koenigturbo;1648723 said:
I'm thinking Brad is right about the hood struts I think in time it's gonna flex/bow.

Well, the option will be there to use struts so if you find a strut that isn't so stiff, you'll be set. Or as pointed out earlier.....find a blown/worn out toyota hood strut and that should hold. :)

Chambers;1648990 said:
Were getting close!

YES WE ARE!!!!! :D

Koenigturbo

Oct 4, 2006
Oxnard CA
"Well, the option will be there to use struts so if you find a strut that isn't so stiff, you'll be set. Or as pointed out earlier.....find a blown/worn out toyota hood strut and that should hold."

Yeah, Cajun Kenny, I'm gonna relax about the hood struts, at first that was a concern, now, it kinda the least of my worries. I think a blown out strut might be the way to go or retrofit a covette one, since some one at G.M. had to have considered the durabilty of the fiberglass hood, so I figure that the struts do not have to hold up a metal hood. There for it wouldn't need a such a stout strut for fiber glass, I may consider retrofitting a mechanical one from a Vette. Oh" weLL,... WHAT EVER!!!!!!:yikes: