Raised Cowl Hood Feeler Thread (DO U WANT ONE)

Would like to have a hood like this?

• Yes

Votes: 23 71.9%
  • No

Votes: 9 28.1%

• Total voters

CajunKenny

PULL MY FINGER. PLEASE!
Nov 15, 2007
Washington
I am going to have a custom carbon fiber hood made. It will have a raised cowl and possibly some sort of venting. Not sure on the venting; but, I am considering it...

My composite guy quoted me $950.00 for the raised cowl, with or without vents (price may vary depending on vent type). This specific hood will have additional edge wrapping, reinforced hood latch, and extra under bracing. He guarantees this hood against seam separation, hood latch breakage, and excessive flexing while driving. Obviously, if you plan on attempting to break the sound barrier, you'll want hood pins; but, that goes without saying...

Now, $950.00 is for one hood. The price drops to $700.00 if we can get ten sold. HE REQUESTED A DEPOSIT OF ONLY HALF PER HOOD ($350).

To help retain it's uniqueness, there will be a limit of ten hoods produced.

So, this is a thread to see how much interest is out there. Are there nine other people out there that would like to have a hood like this?

Thanks,
-Kenny

ADDED INFO: These hoods will be a 2x2 Twill 12k Weave. Every hood will have provisions for Hood Pins/Clasps.

He also mentioned that he is not limited to just Carbon Fiber. He can make CF/Kevlar colored ones as well. In case someone would like theirs color matched to their car. (Prices may vary)

Commitments thus far:

1. Scruggs86.5T
2. CajunKenny
3. Fred
4. Toyotanos
5. Chambers
6. Scotty (Pending Shipping Arrangements)
7. SupraSport91
8. te72
9. boostcraver
10. Koenigturbo

Last edited:

bioskyline

Oct 21, 2010
powell river bc
quite possible yes. id have to see a concept to see how it would look on the car and some demensions of how high the cowl will sit, see how much of my view it will block

SWD Fredester 3

Supramania Contributor
Apr 25, 2008
baltimore maryland
I would have to say YES to this---just to keep the black '91's the same. If it is done to your specs I would trust that it would be an excellent addition. It also would go with the CF vented HL covers & CF cowl that I already have. Any idea what weave the CF will be?

It's funny that you would post this now, from your other thread I decided that I'll be taking a drive up to Dover Del. to the shop that CPT. Furious recommended. I really like his louvered stock hood and the cost of cutting the louvers is low. Anyway I can always have two hoods.

Thanks for taking this project on. The only other consideration is making sure that they are packaged properly for shipping so no damage occurs.

-Fred

Chambers

Now you know
Sep 9, 2007
Baltimore County, Maryland
I'm gonna say Yes as well! Raised cowl is what I'm going for, but I would rather no vents. I have been toying around with the idea of making one out of my spare hood, but I know its not going to be easy. I think there will need to be plenty of R&D but the payoff should be great. My only big concern for long term would be having "rolled edges". There is a local composite place that made carbon kevlar hoods for the Supra but the edges were all 90deg cuts, the clear didnt even cover it and I'm betting it would crack and flake like a sob. By the way, whats the limits on material types?

CajunKenny

PULL MY FINGER. PLEASE!
Nov 15, 2007
Washington
bioskyline;1645716 said:
quite possible yes. id have to see a concept to see how it would look on the car and some demensions of how high the cowl will sit, see how much of my view it will block

Well, nothing design-wise has been set in stone yet. The biggest thing is for us to decide on is how high we want the cowl to be. He said that the vents, if any, can/will be added after the 'main' mold has been constructed.

If we decide on no vents, there isn't really a need to have them draw up anything because it will be basically stock with a little bit higher cowl. View obstruction wouldn't be an issue.

SWD Fredester 3;1645722 said:
I would have to say YES to this---just to keep the black '91's the same. If it is done to your specs I would trust that it would be an excellent addition. It also would go with the CF vented HL covers & CF cowl that I already have. Any idea what weave the CF will be?

It's funny that you would post this now, from your other thread I decided that I'll be taking a drive up to Dover Del. to the shop that CPT. Furious recommended. I really like his louvered stock hood and the cost of cutting the louvers is low. Anyway I can always have two hoods.

Thanks for taking this project on. The only other consideration is making sure that they are packaged properly for shipping so no damage occurs.

-Fred

Yeah, I like Lane's hood too Fred. It doesn't take away from the look and is HIGHLY functional.

When conveying my desires in a hood, I addressed a few areas specifically. 1) The Hood Latch. 2) Edge Splitting/Separating. 3) Extreme Flexing at Highway Speeds. I don't know if you've been next to a car with a CF Hood on the freeway; but, I've seen them flex what looked like an inch above the fender line. Not to mention how shakey they are at that speed. Maybe that's just the nature of the beast with CF Hoods; but, he will be adding additional support to increase rigidity.

I'm sure secure shipping won't be an issue.

Chambers;1645728 said:
I'm gonna say Yes as well! Raised cowl is what I'm going for, but I would rather no vents. I have been toying around with the idea of making one out of my spare hood, but I know its not going to be easy. I think there will need to be plenty of R&D but the payoff should be great. My only big concern for long term would be having "rolled edges". There is a local composite place that made carbon kevlar hoods for the Supra but the edges were all 90deg cuts, the clear didnt even cover it and I'm betting it would crack and flake like a sob. By the way, whats the limits on material types?

Cutting up a perfectly good stock hood is a tough thing to do for sure. I'm leaning to a ventless version also. However, the option is there...

Scruggs86.5T

Dec 8, 2007
Slidell, LA
I would be in for one. I would definately like to see the design first though. I like the look of the raised cowl, but I only like it raised a little nothing extreme. Hope that makes sense. I have seen some that are raised too high and I just dont like the look of it. Also I dont really like vents. Just my two cents.

Koenigturbo

Oct 4, 2006
Oxnard CA
I would most definitly get one if only it looks like Tekdeus's Hood. I like "Rectro Spec's Hood, Apparently he's too busy to make it happen. "Oh" Well"

I'm gonna vote for a hood that is raised about an inch no two inch crap. Also no vents!!!!

Last edited:

CajunKenny

PULL MY FINGER. PLEASE!
Nov 15, 2007
Washington
Scruggs86.5T;1645886 said:
I like the look of the raised cowl, but I only like it raised a little nothing extreme. Also I dont really like vents. Just my two cents.

Koenigturbo;1645888 said:
I would most definitly get one if only it looks like Tekdeus's Hood. I like "Rectro Spec's Hood, Apparently he's too busy to make it happen. "Oh" Well"

I'm gonna vote for a hood that is raised about an inch no two inch crap. Also no vents!!!!

Certainly doable. We all just need to make a decision. I would totally be happy with a hood similar to Tekdeus'.

te72

Classifieds Moderator
Staff member
Mar 26, 2006
WHYoming
Here's my take on the idea:

-I don't want it looking like an 80's Camaro
-I do want a radiator vent, much like the Stout or Onthebeat hood, side/secondary vents aren't really all that important to me. As long as it's positioned so that it doesn't dump water all over the motor when it rains, so a bit of precision is required there...
-I do like the price.

Seriously, I was (and still am) planning on purchasing the Stout hood in the spring, but this is something I could easily get behind, considering it's roughly half of what it costs to get a Stout over here in the US... That said, gonna need the radiator vent for additional cooling purposes. :)

EDIT: It seems a lot of people don't want vents. Would it be possible to have them made to order?

CajunKenny

PULL MY FINGER. PLEASE!
Nov 15, 2007
Washington
Scruggs86.5T;1645886 said:
I would be in for one. I like the look of the raised cowl, but I only like it raised a little nothing extreme. Hope that makes sense. I have seen some that are raised too high and I just dont like the look of it. Also I dont really like vents. Just my two cents.

Koenigturbo;1645888 said:

It seems that most of us are in agreement on a slightly raised cowl hood with no vents. Something similar to Tekdeus' hood.

All we need now are 10 100% commitments and I can get the ball rolling.

te72;1645925 said:
Here's my take on the idea:

-I don't want it looking like an 80's Camaro
-I do want a radiator vent, much like the Stout or Onthebeat hood, side/secondary vents aren't really all that important to me. As long as it's positioned so that it doesn't dump water all over the motor when it rains, so a bit of precision is required there...
-I do like the price.

Seriously, I was (and still am) planning on purchasing the Stout hood in the spring, but this is something I could easily get behind, considering it's roughly half of what it costs to get a Stout over here in the US... That said, gonna need the radiator vent for additional cooling purposes. :)

EDIT: It seems a lot of people don't want vents. Would it be possible to have them made to order?

He said that vents and such will be added after the main mold is done. So, I will venture a guess that YES, you can have your own venting choice. I'll check with him and get back to you on that.

The main thing we all need to agree on is how high the cowl will be.

Aug 12, 2010
P.G. County, Maryland
wow, you're right. Go hard, Maryland. Personally i'm thinking simple is better. Nothing ridiculous so you look like a fucking Transformer rolling down the street. Slight raised cowl, no side vents. Make it look good while not overdoing it, but still be functional. A radiator vent would be alright.

Last edited:

SWD Fredester 3

Supramania Contributor
Apr 25, 2008
baltimore maryland
A raised cowl similar to the one Brad has would be very good. Nothing more or it becomes too offensive, kind of like the bogus Camaro or Mustang hoods.

I actually do have a Seibon CF hood on the SC 300. The first time I drove it at speed the hood scared the hell out of me, flexing and moving at the cowl, thought it might come loose. After that I added a set of Aero hood pins like the ones Rodel has on his Stout hood, just for security. Might consider a layout of the hood pin location and cut out for the hood clasps to save the anxiety of cutting holes in a new hood for them.

When do you need a deposit or full payment to confirm the 10?

-Fred

toyotanos

What will we break today?
Staff member
Super Moderator
Nov 29, 2008
Coon Rapids, MN
I'd be game for a version with a radiator vent :)

1. Scruggs86.5T
2. CajunKenny
3. Fred
4. Toyotanos