Question for the Whaletail crowd...

Grandavi

Sep 25, 2008
Calgary, Alberta, Canada
I just had my Shine Auto Whaletail fitted on my car (getting very close to paint time) and am wondering what the people who already have one on their car have done to prevent the edges of the whale tale from rubbing off the paint on the upper quarter where it sits and is unattached.

I didn't think of it at first, but my body guy pointed it out. It is attached to the hatch but floats on the top of the rear quarter so with vibration can damage my precious paint. He is talking foam tape, but I am wondering if there is any other solution that is a little more long term. I would just hate to mickey mouse it and find it damages my new paintjob.. lol.

Suggestions?

hvyman

Dang Dude! No Way Man.
Staff member
Apr 17, 2007
Fullerton,CA
Could use the little round stock on rubber things for like glass and such. Could buy them at any hardware store.

Double sided tape might cause the wing to tick when you go to open the hatch or get dirt stuck to it or even come off when you open it.

Poodles

I play with fire
Jul 22, 2006
Fort Worth, TX
Lamin-X on the rear quarters.

The stuff rocks, and it's barely noticable. Anything you put on the wing itself WILL wear on the paint.

Poodles

I play with fire
Jul 22, 2006
Fort Worth, TX
Yep, it's also removable so you can replace it if ages. It's a lot like the 3M stuff (which they also carry), just cheaper.

Grandavi

Sep 25, 2008
Calgary, Alberta, Canada
deomel19;1753799 said:
Double sided 3M tape.

I just noticed this... "doublesided"?? Why would I want glue on both sides?

Also, I am looking for the best solution. $$ doesn't factor into it really simply because no fix is going to cost nearly as much as the paint. So far, a "touchpad" using tape seems the way to go.

I think I would put it under the whaletail AND on the contact area where it sits. The whaletail is being painted as well (fiberglass)

Canuckrz

Jan 13, 2009
Calgary, Alberta
I'm planning on using foam tape on the spoiler side and the clear film on the quarter itself. Finding the right density of foam is tricky, atleast with proper adhesive.

87M-GTE

Slow
Sep 12, 2007
Milwaukee WI
Shave the wing itself?

On my stock Pre-89 wing there are small rubber sections on each far side on the bottom to prevent rubbing paint. Probably be the easiest way to go..

Grandavi

Sep 25, 2008
Calgary, Alberta, Canada
Thats a wind tunnel area too.. so if driving through mist/water.. the foam would absorb it. In my head.. the soak/dry factor would take foam tape and disintegrate it in short order. I like the idea of clear plastic on both sides.. so it is tape hitting tape. The fiberglass is pretty light.. so its not going to dent anything. Wont know about vibration or wind "flap" until I actually take it up to speed, but theoretically.. the airflow should push it downwards and hold it. (not sure of the airflow pattern on a MKIII, but guessing it will act as a downward force on that area. Could actually be lift.. not sure :)

My 88 wing has those little pieces too and quite honestly.. it has never marked the paint. However, the whale tale almost sits totally on the top of the quarter..

rodel

SoCal
May 19, 2005
SoCal
First of all did you receive he U shaped brackets (provided by Shine) with the spoiler? In addition to the allen screws (also provided by Shine), these brackets secure the spoiler to the hatch.

No need to shave the spoiler, add shims, and double sided-tape.

Attach weather strip on the underside of the sides of the spoiler and clear paint protection film on the hatch and quarter panels of the car.

81233c6a-f288-4fa5-ad2d-1b60499043d6_300.jpg

The weather strip will absorb the impact from shutting the hatch and movement while you are driving. The clear film will prevent scratches on hatch and the quarter panels.

Last edited:

Grandavi

Sep 25, 2008
Calgary, Alberta, Canada
Just got back from the body guy. Shimming it is.. just gotta find about 1/4" rubber shims to put under the front part (towards the hatch glass) of the whale tale and then foam tape underneath. On the wing area (top of quarters, not hatch) will be going with 3M tape, but with the shims there should be minimal contact.

The antennae hole is a little odd though. Currently just planning to clean the hole (circularly) and leave it (after paint). Was thinking about doing a rubber "cup" with an "X" slit for the antennae to pop through, but then though about the water.. it will just flow through anyway, so shouldnt be an isse. The sideskirts went on pretty nicely too, just needed a little modification.

The bumper add-ons (rear) and the sideskirts will be painted with the car and then a sealer in the joints (no paint). I wanted them molded, but was recommended against that route. Too much flex.

Getting anxious.. lol.. its taking a small forever.. and so many small parts being added. Welding closed the old 88 Spoiler holes.. dont plan on going back that direction.

Also.. I just picked up a set of 90 tail lights for the car today. I got a question about installing... there are 3 studs on the top of the center peice. I assume you take off the outside 2 and just used the center stud to hold it on the car? I have the light boxes, so should all be plug and play, however, the license plate lights are rust bunnies... gonna replace those.

T701jz

3M ENGINEER - R.&.D
Jul 23, 2005
Santa Clarita Ca.
Grandavi;1755406 said:
Just got back from the body guy. Shimming it is.. just gotta find about 1/4" rubber shims to put under the front part (towards the hatch glass) of the whale tale and then foam tape underneath. On the wing area (top of quarters, not hatch) will be going with 3M tape, but with the shims there should be minimal contact.

The antennae hole is a little odd though. Currently just planning to clean the hole (circularly) and leave it (after paint). Was thinking about doing a rubber "cup" with an "X" slit for the antennae to pop through, but then though about the water.. it will just flow through anyway, so shouldnt be an isse. The sideskirts went on pretty nicely too, just needed a little modification.

The bumper add-ons (rear) and the sideskirts will be painted with the car and then a sealer in the joints (no paint). I wanted them molded, but was recommended against that route. Too much flex.

Getting anxious.. lol.. its taking a small forever.. and so many small parts being added. Welding closed the old 88 Spoiler holes.. dont plan on going back that direction.

Also.. I just picked up a set of 90 tail lights for the car today. I got a question about installing... there are 3 studs on the top of the center peice. I assume you take off the outside 2 and just used the center stud to hold it on the car? I have the light boxes, so should all be plug and play, however, the license plate lights are rust bunnies... gonna replace those.

Tell the shop to rivets the add-on to the bumper then use flex-bondo. I had mine done 10 years ago with no sign of cracks nor did I hear anyone had any problem with molded add-on ( not the side skirts ).

Grandavi

Sep 25, 2008
Calgary, Alberta, Canada
Excellent, thank you. We do have different temperature extremes up here, but the car never gets driven in winter anyway. (dont know if the cold we get would affect it or not).
I threw that suggestion at my bodyman, will see if he agrees and can do that for me. I would really like it to seem one peice on the rear bumper.