pushing in the clutch when starting the car

IJ.

Grumpy Old Man
Mar 30, 2005
I come from a land down under
Unplug the switch on the Clutch pedal.
(should be normally closed)

If that doesn't work make a small jumper lead to go from 1 terminal to the other on that plug.
(from memory just unplugging it sorted the issue on my NA way back but not sure if AU and USDM cars are wired differently)

CL_003.gif

jetjock

creepy-ass cracka
Jul 11, 2005
Redacted per Title 18 USC Section 798
It's NO and will need to be jumped. The cruise control clutch cancel is NC.

OP: I hope you understand what you're doing. The day *will* come when you crank the engine in gear. And if this is for remote start it's even dumber...

92nsx

Supramania Contributor
Sep 30, 2005
Clearwater, MN
jetjock;1526279 said:

OP: I hope you understand what you're doing. The day *will* come when you crank the engine in gear. And if this is for remote start it's even dumber...

^^^ Correct it needs to be jumped. I had to disconnect mine and jumper it to finish up my remote start install. I guess im on the "dumber" side :rofl: :sarcasm:

EDIT:

ForcedTorque;1526263 said:
There is a thread right now with a picture of it jumpered. It's titled something like "Help me identify these"

I jsut found that thread and by what the pic shows is not the way to jumper it. Just has to be "looped" back into the same plug, (harness side). If that makes since.

IJ.

Grumpy Old Man
Mar 30, 2005
jetjock;1526279 said:

Thanks JJ, wasn't 100% sure as AU cars never used that "feature" (guess our Govt thinks we're smart enough NOT to crank it in gear without pushing the clutch in)

In a few cases (Upgraded clutches) this safety feature becomes an engine damage feature as it loads up the thrust bearings to the point an engine will end up with crank walk.

Remote start scares me senseless with a stick as you have to rely on the e-brake holding if parked on an incline :nono:

IJ.

Grumpy Old Man
Mar 30, 2005
jetjock;1526454 said:
Welcome Ian. Yeah, I've heard that about crank walk. As for remote start pinning someone (perhaps oneself) to another car or garage wall isn't a pleasant experience for all involved...

I know it's wrong but I LOL'd at that! :)

OneJArpus

Supramania Contributor
Jul 1, 2005
Newark, New Jersey, United States
I don't see the issue with remote starts on 5 speed cars as long as you don't park with it in gear and forget. I never park my car in gear, even on an incline. I simply park, turn the wheel so the tire touches the curb and can hold the car then apply the emergency brake. I do not have a remote start system, but if i did i'm 100% sure I would never start it with the car in gear. It is a matter of people remembering it's in gear.

^^ I laughed yea its wrong but funny at the same time.

airhead04

Aug 21, 2009
Lima, Ohio, United States
I have the remote start and left it in gear...ONCE. I was working on the headunit in my car and put it in 2nd gear so I would stop bumping it. Well 4 hrs later when I was done, I put everything back and forgot to take it out of gear. The next morning I push the button to start the car, and boy did it attempt to jump forward (E brake held it back). But damn I never ran to my car so quickly. lol

supra90turbo

shaeff is FTMFW!
Mar 30, 2005
MA, 01440
IJ.;1526482 said:
"When Cars Attack"

The problem is, with remote starters, it'll start, crash, stall. Restart, crash, stall. Sometimes up to 5 times before it gives up... Not something I want to be involved in, directly or indirectly.

I have mine wired to a momentary button, so I still have to think before turning the key, not like if it were jumpered. Plus, it's an anti-theft device of sorts.

supraphoenix

broke and hating it
Mar 14, 2009
Colorado
my car just started doing this on its own... it no longer needs the clutch depressed to start. does this have implications that are bad? or just a bad switch? should i look at changing it out or just accept the added feature since it won't be remote start.

supra90turbo

shaeff is FTMFW!
Mar 30, 2005
MA, 01440
Seems like your switch is stuck in the closed position. I'd say for now it's an added feature, but I'd have a plan "b" in place should the switch decide to go the other way, and leave you stranded.

supraphoenix

broke and hating it
Mar 14, 2009
Colorado
So I've been trying to troubleshoot this myself... but I can't figure out what will happen if the switch goes to the open position. Will the clutch pushing the clutch not activate the starter? since its a manual i could still push start the car anyways...