Project: Git'R driving...a VERY short build

supraguy@aol

Dec 30, 2005
Atlanta
So, I got back in town yesterday, and my new fuel pump was waiting.
Today, I got to work replacing the replacement fuel pump, and 1hr later, she's buttoned up and running great.
I also replaced the brand new spliced-in connector because the one included with the original replacement had smaller gauge wiring.

Tank back out. Old pump still on the hanger, new(larger) pump waiting to be mounted(giggity):

20150817-105734-zpsfc7l0a1j.jpg

By the way- if I didn't mention in a post earlier, the original pump I bought was made by Keshan. The re-replacement pump is made by CNT.
Now, both these pumps are cheapo 255lph wannabe's, but at least I found positive reviews on the CNT pump, including independent output tests, and it pretty much hit its rated volume.
Basically, my fix was to replace a $40 fuel pump....with a $30 fuel pump, lol. I know I know, I'm betting directly against "you get what you pay for", and I already lost once.
But honestly, I was simply looking for an oem replacement, not something for 400+hp. We'll see if this pump lives up to its reviews.

Last edited:

steve_mk3

Supramania Contributor
Mar 30, 2005
middletown, NJ
Glad to hear you have fuel worked out

I am impressed-

"and 1hr later" - I wish I could get this done in an hour. Need to replace my fuel pump as well

supraguy@aol

Dec 30, 2005
Atlanta
It's super easy, as long as you drain the tank through the bottom bolt first.
The tank itself only weighs about~35lbs.

supraguy@aol

Dec 30, 2005
Atlanta
Yes sir.
I used a light coat of Bulldog prior to primer.
I found that the rear paint seemed to 'outgas' a bit after about 2 weeks, so today, I redid the wetsanding, rubbing compound and polish.
The front didn't seem to do this, but on that job, I used a 2-part clear. I'm sure it was better quality.

supraguy@aol

Dec 30, 2005
Atlanta
Correct.
I tried a different brand of paint, because the front came out a shade darker than I wanted.
If I could do it over, I would use the paint from the 2nd seller, and the clearcoat from the first.

supraguy@aol

Dec 30, 2005
Atlanta
So about that clutch job...

Immediately upon startup, i had a bad vibration.
My immediate guess was that the pressure plate was out of balance.
So i finally got around to re-removing the tranny, and pulling the clutch for balancing.
But i find this:

20150824-200131-zpskeb62dxr.jpg

Guess it wasnt a balance issue.
This was just a cheap replacement clutch from Ebay. Not sure if the pp was defective, or if i unevenly torqued it down and caused it. Regardless, i contacted the seller, and they're send me a new unit, no charge.

Ps, while im at it, i will be replacing the center support bearing, and also the high pressure power steering line- it looks like it has a slow leak.

This supposedly 'short' build thread continues...

Last edited:

Silver MK3

Jan 24, 2011
Madison, AL
supraguy@aol;2057372 said:
So about that clutch job...

Immediately upon startup, i had a bad vibration.
My immediate guess was that the pressure plate was out of balance.
So i finally got around to re-removing the tranny, and pulling the clutch for balancing.
But i find this:

p2057387_1.jpg

Guess it wasnt a balance issue.
This was just a cheap replacement clutch from Ebay. Not sure if the pp was defective, or if i unevenly torqued it down and caused it. Regardless, i contacted the seller, and they're send me a new unit, no charge.

Ps, while im at it, i will be replacing the center support bearing, and also the high pressure power steering line- it looks like it has a slow leak.

This supposedly 'short' build thread continues...

That sucks... No such thing as a short build thread when you're anal, doing things the correct way, and dealing with nearly 30 year old supras haha

supraguy@aol

Dec 30, 2005
Atlanta
So I finally got home from a 9 day trip, and found a bunch of parts waiting for me.
Took the flywheel back to the machine shop to have it checked; I wanted to make sure the pressure plate issue was just a fluke, and not an uneven mating surface.

Then I replaced my driveshaft support bearing. Much easier than I expected.

20150902-162542-zpstbjrqmdv.jpg

20150902-164359-zpsks4rq6zq.jpg

I'll try to get the new clutch installed tomorrow.

Last edited:

supraguy@aol

Dec 30, 2005
Atlanta
So yesterday, I got busy on replacing the bad pressure plate.
But before I went through the trouble of assembling it all, I wanted to assemble it on the bench to make sure it was all good.
So, I installed the disc, and bolted down the new, new pressure plate, in proper sequence, and looked it all over for any binding or unevenness.
Fail.

A rivet/guide that maintains the friction surface, fell out. Looks like the head of it either sheared or wasn't tight enough into the plate to lock it.
After disassembly, I saw that this caused the diaphragm spring to warp on one side, and is unusable.

20150904-124502-zpsggvdcx2t.jpg
So that's two for two.
I ended up cleaning up my oem pressure plate, and reinstalling it, no issues. Car is back together, and running nice, no vibration.

That teaches me to spend the extra cash for a quality clutch, period. A lesson that I'm sure a lot of you new from the start.

Last edited:

supraguy@aol

Dec 30, 2005
Atlanta
Update- and hopefully one of the last:
I re-upgraded my sound system. The replacement head unit from the Camry started having tapedeck issues, just like the original unit.
So, I sold out, and went modern. Complete system, minus rear speakers(haven't touched them because they sound good) was $300.
This included:
pioneer Bluetooth head unit
10" powered low profile sub
4" Kenwood front speakers
All cables, connections and harness adapter.

Sounds awesome, handsfree calling is super clear, and it's nice to have Pandora, controlled through the head unit.
I put an entire writeup in the Audio section. This is all the audio power I need for a daily.

20150930-153328-zpsoad2xoi3.jpg

20150930-152903-zps1lreaapz.jpg

Last edited:

GC89

1J-THIS
Jun 13, 2007
Spokane, WA
Looks good, I expect progress on you main build now if this one is truly wrapped up! I need some motivation.

supraguy@aol

Dec 30, 2005
Atlanta
Man, I know. I've ignored it for the whole summer.
I've just got to get the motivation up to hunt down the oil burning issue its having.

supraguy@aol

Dec 30, 2005
Atlanta
Just a quick update on my short build thread, since I've had the car for about a year now.

Car is running and looking great, but with all things old, constant maintainence is required. Along with that, occasionally comes upgrades.
Nothing serious, just BPU. One issue the car had, was that a previous owner had installed a cb antenna right in the roof, by drilling a hole through it. I finally solved that this
week, by adding SiriusXM to the stereo.

20160818-172327-zpsywu30bik.jpg

20160818-172337-zpsss3j8oaq.jpg
Also, the car came with a Lexus afm, so I figured, why not use it? but then I need larger injectors, so I picked up some cheap 560 evo units.
But them I'm thinking, why not use a better turbo, and someone was selling a 57 trim that needed a rebuild, so I got that as well.
But then I'm thinking, maybe a better air intake if I'm pulling in more air? So, I bought an Apexi intake.
But them Im thinking how do I tune it?, so I got a brand new Apexi Neo. But them I'm thinking, how do I know if I'm tuning it right?
So I bought a wideband unit as well.
So, now my stock, oem car has a 57 trim, 560's, Lex afm, Apexi intake, Neo and wideband, but you wouldn't know by looking at it.
All you can see is the red Apexi air filter. The rest looks stock, or is hidden.

20160817-172649-zpspdtzc9xy.jpg
So much for "keeping it completely stock".

There are only 3 things that remain, that I really want to do to this car:

Re-clear the hood and roof(oem clear coat is slightly dull)
Replace the original shocks with new illumina's
Get a brand new factory shift knob(I have a perfect TRD unit if anyone wants to trade)

Just wanted to let you guys know that its still holding together.

Last edited:

Billybob9187

Mar 9, 2015
Stockton Ca
What is holding the neo in place in the glove box? I am actually looking at doing something like this with my non street legal gauges and components. Have to love that Ca BS.

Moy

It's broken...
Aug 6, 2008
Beach Park, IL
Looking good man! I unfortunately do not have a great condition or new factory shift knob, however... I would be willing to buy that TRD knob off you ;) haha.
Or if you don't want to sell it... do you have a part number for it by chance?

supraguy@aol

Dec 30, 2005
Atlanta
Billybob9187;2080114 said:
What is holding the neo in place in the glove box? I am actually looking at doing something like this with my non street legal gauges and components. Have to love that Ca BS.

The Neo is held in place by a lexan mount. It is simply 1/8" sheet lexan that I heated with a heat gun, and bent to roughly a 135 degree angle, and riveted it into the top edge of the glove box.
I then used 3M lock tape(like Velcro, but way stronger), so that it can be mounted, or pulled out for tuning.

supraguy@aol

Dec 30, 2005
Atlanta