Project Git 'er done!: Stages 1, 2…now 3.

supraguy@aol

Dec 30, 2005
Atlanta
I found after removing my heater core from the box(which is very easy- just two hold-down screws), that my core was spotless, no leaks.
However, I did find the source of my glycol-smothered carpet:

p1979619_1.jpg

A tiny crack, along the inlet pipe extension. My understanding, is that the dealer no longer carries these pipes, so I'll have to look for a used replacement.
I may end up back at that junk yard again tomorrow after all...

Oh- And this is the new heater core. I've had it sitting in it's box, waiting for more than 10 years.

p1979619_2.jpg

supraguy@aol

Dec 30, 2005
Atlanta
The O-rings actually looked great, but yes- I will replace them.
Unfortunately, I can't just use generic rubber O-rings. These seem to be narrow, so that they fit withing the pipe flange.
Gotta hit up the dealership tomorrow. Next up- AC core box removal.

doonsuka

May 27, 2011
AZ
The pipe from the drivers side you should be able to get, the one on the passenger side is no longer a available. I had a hard time getting a heater core that had inlets in perfect shape so I soldered them in the heater core. If those flanges aren't absolutely perfect the O-rings won't hold.

CyFi6

Aliens.
Oct 11, 2007
Phoenix
www.google.com
+1 I soldered mine as well. If you go this route, you could also just bend some copper pipe instead of trying to find new pipes. If you are using an aftermarket core which it looks like you are, there's a good chance the sealing surfaces are not perfect, mine were not perfectly round. Either way, dunk it in some water and put 15 to 20 psi of air into it to make sure its not leaking.

supraguy@aol

Dec 30, 2005
Atlanta
Yeah, turns out the drivers side pipe is now officially no longer available.
Had the dealership check nationwide inventory...zero.

So how did you guys solder yours? did you just pull out the orings, clean the surfaces, and sweat them together?

doonsuka

May 27, 2011
AZ
Good find on those used ones. Pretty much. I gently cut off the flaired part where the O-ring fits inside cleaned it really good and sweat it together just like house plumbing. Been working great for over a year.

7M4EVR

Oct 8, 2012
fah, fah away
I removed my AC compressor and lines and didnt touch anything in the dash. If you're looking for anything AC related let me know how to take it out and I'll give it to you for free. I'll be doing some wiring over winter anyway. Just let me know. It will be off of an 87. Not sure of the condition of anything. The PO somehow managed to cut the AC lines on the compressor so i just removed that and called it good.

supraguy@aol

Dec 30, 2005
Atlanta
No, but thanks. I've already got all new parts for the ac.
I'll be pulling that box tomorrow, once the heater core is done

supraguy@aol

Dec 30, 2005
Atlanta
So, I got my NINE DOLLAR pair of o-rings today, so I finished up the heater core box.

p1979934_1.jpg

Next, I pulled the ac box.

p1979934_2.jpg

p1979934_3.jpg

Old vs. new:
p1979934_4.jpg

Alothough I'm not completely done with the drivetrain stage, I needed to get this stuff out of the way first, because everything's connected, like links in a chain:
I need to connect the MAp sensor and wideband before startup.
To do that, they need to be mounted in the Apillar.
To mount the Apillar, I need to have the dash in.
To have the dash in, I need to first replace the ac and heater cores.
You see? So once the dash is in, I WILL abandon the interior work and resume engine work.

supraguy@aol

Dec 30, 2005
Atlanta
Yeah, there was quite a bit of junk in there.
Can't wait to open box #3- The fan motor. I imagine that gets the worst of it.

Silver MK3

Jan 24, 2011
Madison, AL
supraguy@aol;1980050 said:
IF it works, i'll be happy with anything below 60.
The humidity here in Georgia is killer.

You should get well below 60 if you are redoing the stock system. My stock AC blows a little under 40 :)

And yeah, the humidity sucks.

supraguy@aol

Dec 30, 2005
Atlanta
So, i got the ac core box sealed back up. Next is to pull the fan motor out, just to make sure it's clean in there.
Then i'll remount the ac box and the heater box.
I havent had much luck finding a replacement dash, so i'm going to bring mine to a local upholstery shop, so that they can look it over, and determine if it's possible to re-skin it. This would be preferable, since the material would be brand new, rather than a 25 yr old dash going in, that could literally crack as soon as it's in place.