Project Git 'er done!: Stages 1, 2…now 3.

supraguy@aol

Dec 30, 2005
Atlanta
Well, I was gonna say if you were sending your block out, you could borrow the torque plate, but either way, doesn't sound like you need it.

supraguy@aol

Dec 30, 2005
Atlanta
Ah!
Forgot you were doing the 2JZ.
Nah, it takes a different plate. BUT, a 2JZ plate is alot more common at machine shops than a 7M.
A 7M torque plate is about as common as a Chinese 'fro pick.

Orion ZyGarian

Jeff Lange wannabe
Apr 2, 2005
Sarasota, FLorida
www.suprastore.com
No wonder I hadnt been seeing updates, I apparently forgot to subscribe to this thread! I never was crazy about the look of orange bushings (not that it matters since they hardly get seen), but I have since researched it more and am quite jealous. I definitely need to pick up a full set of Ronnie K bushings.

You could also rent out the torque plate to fellow members on here too who might need it from time to time. Just get a deposit and youre good to go!

supraguy@aol

Dec 30, 2005
Atlanta
Its a good idea, Orion, but that all hinges on me actually receiving the torque plate.
I realized about 24hrs after i ordered it, that SIP racing was run by Rich S., whom has had numerous complaints about long wait times and even failure to ship orders. I have tried to call the phone number 4 times, leaving 2 messages, and have sent an email, but so far, no response. Im getting a bit nervous about it, and have decided that if i dont hear from him by end of business day today, i will notify paypal, so i can cancel the transaction. I have said as much in the email i sent to SIP.

Zach

ECUMaster USA
Apr 6, 2005
TX
Torque plates are great in theory, but I've never used one and have had great wear patterns on the bore of every motor I've built that I've disassembled later. Motors move around a lot more than people think under operation, so at a certain point you're splitting hairs. I would be curious to see a thorough set of bore measurements before/after a torque plate is installed.

Cliffs notes: You're fine without a torque plate.

lithium14

Jan 7, 2011
Austin
^I too also had the conundrum of using a torque plate or note... after reassurance from Zach and Watt (the machinist) I went ahead without one.

Zach

ECUMaster USA
Apr 6, 2005
TX
lithium14;1882408 said:
^I too also had the conundrum of using a torque plate or note... after reassurance from Zach and Watt (the machinist) I went ahead without one.

It's easy to get hung up on what sounds ideal. When Watt tells you something you can pretty well bank on it.

Orion ZyGarian

Jeff Lange wannabe
Apr 2, 2005
Sarasota, FLorida
www.suprastore.com
supraguy@aol;1882377 said:
Its a good idea, Orion, but that all hinges on me actually receiving the torque plate.
I realized about 24hrs after i ordered it, that SIP racing was run by Rich S., whom has had numerous complaints about long wait times and even failure to ship orders. I have tried to call the phone number 4 times, leaving 2 messages, and have sent an email, but so far, no response. Im getting a bit nervous about it, and have decided that if i dont hear from him by end of business day today, i will notify paypal, so i can cancel the transaction. I have said as much in the email i sent to SIP.

I havent dealt with or heard of them, but now that I know what it's like on this side of a vendor, he may just be swamped with work. It can be tricky to respond to everyone in a timely manner.

Of course, he could just be a crook too

supraguy@aol

Dec 30, 2005
Atlanta
Well, i finally heard back, and he said they weren't in stock, so he asked me if i wanted to wait, or refund.
I said i'd rather get the refund, so that i could buy a few other items, including a head gasket.

AbsoluteSpeed

Aug 8, 2007
Edmonton AB
Well that is frustrating.
I suppose it just not a piece people order commonly but you would think a vendor would realize and be up front about it from the beginning.

supraguy@aol

Dec 30, 2005
Atlanta
Update,
SIP refunded my money, just as promised.
And i turned around and sent back half of it for a 2mm mhg.
I also sent an order to Arizona performance for the oil supply tube kit.
Machinist is working on my block as i type this.

supraguy@aol

Dec 30, 2005
Atlanta
Quick update:
My machinist is almost done with the block prep.
He's line bored it, balanced/polished the crank, decked it and checked the rods. just going to do the final hone and cleaning.
He also took care of ordering my ARP mains, and all the clevite bearings.
Received this today:

2012-10-29_12-18-26_607.jpg
Titan 2.0mm MHG

The Arizona oil supply kit is currently passing through Olathe, KS, and should arrive tomorrow.

Last edited:

supraguy@aol

Dec 30, 2005
Atlanta
You know what- you got me worried, so I went into the garage and measured it.
I'm not quite sure exactly where I'm supposed to measure it, as there are differences in height depending on whether you measure on the bead or not,
but it is greater than 2.4mm at it's thinnest. Also, the SIP gasket is supposed to be flourine coated, this one is not. SO, I've got the wrong head gasket.
I'm starting to lose faith in SIP racing(again). I've emailed Rich, and asked him to clear this up. I'm also going to talk to my machinist tomorrow, to
verify that I won't need anything thicker than 2mm before I send this back.

Edit- This one IS flourine coated, but I think it's a 3mm head gasket.