Project Git 'er done!: Stages 1, 2…now 3.

supraguy@aol

Dec 30, 2005
Atlanta
Update:
Wiseco pistons in 83.5mm ordered.
Once they arrive, the block can go to the machine shop.

Last edited:

AbsoluteSpeed

Aug 8, 2007
Edmonton AB
I love this build! I plan on following a very similar path, starting with a complete suspension overhaul.
I'm curious what the EZ Street coilovers ride like and how much $$ you put into your entire suspension set up.

Keep up the great work.

supraguy@aol

Dec 30, 2005
Atlanta
Hmm... Total cost of suspension:
Rear subframe weld. Free
Fr and rear subframe poly bushings 220
Megan ez street coilovers. 700
Energy susp. F&R bushings. 120
Oem rear spherical bushings. 100
Reman'd steering rack. 175
New balljoints & outer tie rods. 80
Front cobra rotors. 140
Stainless brakeline set. 140
Cobra adapters. 180
Cobra calipers/ brackets. 200
Fr and rear pads, shim kits. 80
Upper front a arms. 200

Total. 2300+

I already had the ST sway bars and adjustable end links.

Oops- Forgot to add: 2 new rear half shafts- $175

Last edited:

supraguy@aol

Dec 30, 2005
Atlanta
They have arrived.

2012-09-30_22-47-03_216.jpg
Time to go to the machine shop.
Next parts on the list:
ARP mains
AZ oil supply pipe

Last edited:

supraguy@aol

Dec 30, 2005
Atlanta
Block, crank, piston, rods and front timing cover have been brought to the machine shop.

2012-10-02_17-54-09_508.jpg

They will be ordering the main studs for me. Hopefully, I'll have some nice engine pics for you all in a couple of weeks.

Last edited:
Sep 19, 2011
Des Moines, IA
I am enjoying this build, I would love to know what your power goals are. I am in the process of a similar build, but am focusing on the engine, and electronics part first. then suspension and body.
I am planning on going with Wiesco pistons also, what made you go for them over the others? I already have some eagle rods.

supraguy@aol

Dec 30, 2005
Atlanta
I chose Wiseco because A: they were ~$200 cheaper than CP & lighter than Ross, and B: the skirts are coated and the pin bore is offset to reduce piston slap. That part may be true of other pistons out there, but i havdn't heard of any.

My power goal is ~400RWHP to start. I am overbuilding this motor so that I can't outgrow it's potential. I may look for as high as 550RWHP with the proper fuel and boost, but I would be happy with the lower number. I probably would have gotten Eagle rods as well, but I luckily ran across someone selling some Cunningham rods in the for sale section. These rods look more like carillo's to me(A beam vs. H beam).

Sep 19, 2011
Des Moines, IA
supraguy@aol;1879823 said:
I chose Wiseco because A: they were ~$200 cheaper than CP & lighter than Ross, and B: the skirts are coated and the pin bore is offset to reduce piston slap. That part may be true of other pistons out there, but i havdn't heard of any.

My power goal is ~400RWHP to start. I am overbuilding this motor so that I can't outgrow it's potential. I may look for as high as 550RWHP with the proper fuel and boost, but I would be happy with the lower number. I probably would have gotten Eagle rods as well, but I luckily ran across someone selling some Cunningham rods in the for sale section. These rods look more like carillo's to me(A beam vs. H beam).

Good to hear. I have heard the CP's, or JE's slap at least when cold, that is why I do not want them, and I love the skirt coating. I have some higher goals in the end, but I think I will be happy with some Wisecos also.

I had my eyes on a set of Pauters, but they sold. I heard eagles can hold on just fine at my goals. I heard of some people shot peening their stock rods, and using some ARP bolts in them, and they can hold up at my goals, so I figure that a set of forged rods will be a little better than stock shot peened.

supraguy@aol

Dec 30, 2005
Atlanta
Agreed. I suppose that Pauters and Carillo's are at the top of the food chain, but Cunningham/ Eagle will do what we need.
I had heard that Eagles should be sized prior to install; perhaps somebody has gotten a few that needed some adjustment.

As for slap, I think it's a minor issue with any piston, so long as the piston to wall clearance is kept at manufacturer's specification.

supraguy@aol

Dec 30, 2005
Atlanta
Welp.
I didn't want to spend the money, but I'm going to anyway...
Next purchase, torque plate from SIP racing.
1801_1_274_1.JPG

I just don't want to skimp now, and regret it later.

supraguy@aol

Dec 30, 2005
Atlanta
Do you mean how detrimental is it Not to use the plate?
Not that much. You will usually end up with a slightly out-of-round cylinder without it, and therefore a slight compression loss, and oil consumption, but again, very slight. However, it becomes more of an issue when you go past 500+ hp. I plan to build this motor to handle 800+hp, though i will only be asking 400+ from it for the time being.

supraguy@aol

Dec 30, 2005
Atlanta
Well, i dont believe that factory motors were torque plate bored/ honed, but the distortion is very small without it, and isnt as much of an issue with cast pistons and lower power levels. Are you sending a block out for work soon?