Project Git 'er done!: Stages 1, 2…now 3.

supraguy@aol

Dec 30, 2005
Atlanta
Ha!

So, got home today, and dug into my boxes:

Dropped the IC pipe off for extension, should be ready Wednesday or Thursday.

Received my new wheel lugs. My originals were nice, but too narrow. Needed more seating surface. They're kinda bling, but what the heck.
p1989717_1.jpg

Also...a bit of customization, to make the wheels look more like they belong...
p1989717_2.jpg

Then, I finished modding the Nathan plate, to fit with my throttle bracket assembly, as well as incorporate the DG528 at cylinder #5. Then I installed the coil harness...Underneath...

p1989717_3.jpg

p1989717_4.jpg

Last edited:

Aleo24

Aug 15, 2011
Perth
This build is amazingly meticulous. Very well done so far, looking forward to seeing how it goes once its finished.

Curious as to why you stuck with the standard intake manifold.

supraguy@aol

Dec 30, 2005
Atlanta
I only stuck with it because I didn't see an FFIM that I liked.
Nearly every single one requires that you give up ac and/ or relocate the battery. The one that CarlosPTR210 makes, however, is appealing... but it's something I can do later on if I really want to. Besides- my power goals don't really necessitate it. I like to envision my car as being an upgrade to stock without really changing the basic layout.

supraguy@aol

Dec 30, 2005
Atlanta
So the big speedbump on my build, has been the ac system.
I didn't want to install the dash till I could confirm that what's behind it(the ac core) was leak-free.
I pressurized the system with argon, and have found that it bleeds off over a reltively short period of time. I tried spraying each connection with soapy water, but I get no bubbles anywhere.
Also, no hissing sound of escaping gas. The only part of the system that hasn't been replaced, is the compressor itself.

...a new compressor is on the way.

Silver MK3

Jan 24, 2011
Madison, AL
Glad to see you got it running, hopefully the new compressor fixes the AC problem. I know you are going to need that down here in the south with our humidity and heat during the summer.

supraguy@aol

Dec 30, 2005
Atlanta
Riiiight.
Nah. This car won't be on the road till its painted.... sometime around 2018AD.

Update- I transferred over my harness to the new dash, so that can be installed this week.

supraguy@aol

Dec 30, 2005
Atlanta
I would say off a bit. The #5 coil mounting hole would be on the innermost edge of where you would creat a larger hole for the bracket post. What i needed to do was get that side of the bracket to sit slightly higher, but i didn't want to cut/ weld a set of higher mounts on the other end. So what i ended up doing is tilting it. Hard to explain. Im out of town for the next couple of days. When i get home, i'll take closeups and post a more detailed description, probably in Morganson's thread.

supraguy@aol

Dec 30, 2005
Atlanta
So, if I haven't already mentioned, the roadblock to my flow of progress has been the ac system. I have had a not-so-slow leak in it, when I check under vacuum. And there was no way that I was going to reinstall the dash, in case the leak came from the evap core.
So, instead I decided to pressurize the system to see if I could locate the leak by sound, or using a soap spray to identify bubbles. I connected an adapter to my welding(argon) tank, and ran that into the high and low sides of the system at 40psi, and sure enough, it would leak down to zero in about 15 minutes. Unfortunately, I could not find any leaks, or hear any hissing.
The entire system is brand new- new core, condenser, expansion valve, drier, high/low pressure lines, and all O-rings. Everything, except the compressor itself. So I decided to just blindly throw money at the problem, and bought a new compressor.

It worked!
Apparently, it was leaking from either the case seal, or shaft seal. I just finished installing it, and the pressure hasn't dropped a single psi in 15 minutes.
This means That I can now finally install everything- the dp/ exhaust, the heater core, the dash, and start planning out stage 3- interior.

Old and new.
p1991593_1.jpg

New one, with the top plate and plug swapped over.
p1991593_2.jpg

New unit, installed.
p1991593_3.jpg

I expect the pace to pick up a bit now, on the completion of stage 2.

supraguy@aol

Dec 30, 2005
Atlanta
Today(so far), I've reinstalled the DP, and exhaust, hopefully for the last time.

p1992032_1.jpg

p1992032_2.jpg

p1992032_3.jpg

And...Here's a quick video of the first 'sound' through the exhaust.

[video=youtube_share;IHv5Ve8Btr8]http://youtu.be/IHv5Ve8Btr8[/video]

Last edited: