Project Git 'er done!: Stages 1, 2…now 3.

supraguy@aol

Dec 30, 2005
Atlanta
It's gonna be a slow week for the Supra. I'm nearly broke due to a number of bills coming due at once.
But today, I had a few small bits and pieces show up.

p1968945_1.jpg

All electrical stuff, mainly. I began installing my main power line to the trunk area, that'll be powering both the audio system, and the fuel pump.
I'll be stripping some of the interior down tomorrow or the next day.

p1968945_2.jpg

supraguy@aol

Dec 30, 2005
Atlanta
Yeah, I've had them on the car for like 10 years.
To be honest, i don't recall what the car felt like without them, since its been so long, so i cant give you a comparison.

Today i reinstalled the exhaust so i could create the 5 hangers for it, and then i gutted the interior, and pulled out the ~3 miles of old audio wiring.

supraguy@aol

Dec 30, 2005
Atlanta
My interior now lives in my basement.

p1970356_1.jpg

Car is almost empty now. Decided to gut it first, so i could deal with wiring now.

p1970356_2.jpg

And, found a small issue on the passenger floorpan.

p1970356_3.jpg

Thos are actually two seperate cuts to the pan. I knew that there was a big dent there from driving over a rock like 12 yrs ago, but i didnt know that it actually pierced the metal. Looks like i have to do some more welding.

1986.5supra_kid

Rice? No its Corn (E85)
supraguy@aol;1970356 said:
Thos are actually two seperate cuts to the pan. I knew that there was a big dent there from driving over a rock like 12 yrs ago, but i didnt know that it actually pierced the metal. Looks like i have to do some more welding.

that must have been one hellva rock. ive straddled some debris before but never boulders lol

supraguy@aol

Dec 30, 2005
Atlanta
Well, progress has been slow lately, but I got started on a couple of small projects.
Today, I tacked up the upper turbo brace, and dropped that off at the tig master's place, along with some 3/8 stainless rod, to be shaped into the exhaust hagers(I don't have an acetylene torch in order to heat them enough). While I was there, I picked up my IC pipe, that he had tig'ed a IAT bung on. Then I cut down the excess inner lip on the front bumper reinforcement, in order to make a bit more room for the intercooler. Also, did a quick weldup of some upper IC mounts, out of square tube. Those will be welded to the top of the bumper reinforcement. Also, I cut about 1.5" off the upper IC pipe, as it was made too long(DM kit). After playing with the fitment of the lower IC pipe(that connects to the compressor outlet), I realized that I need about 1.5" added to that. Guess where the material is coming from? :)

IAT position:

p1971541_1.jpg

p1971541_2.jpg

Upper IC mounts. Need to be painted once mounted.

p1971541_3.jpg

The cut end of the upper IC pipe, and a pic of the lower pipe. You can see how it needs to move back about an inch.

p1971541_4.jpg

p1971541_5.jpg

So now I'm waiting for some silicone couplers to come in the mail, as well as an AEM dryflow filter that I ordered. Progress will continue...

Grandavi

Sep 25, 2008
Calgary, Alberta, Canada
BlackDevilSupra;1971656 said:
Why not use the MkIII SUPRA script and not the MkIV's on that IC pipe?
Looks good now, but probably looks better with matching script.
That script comes on the upper IC pipe. Kinda would be nice if they would actually rejig that pipe so it was actually usable. Wouldn't take much

supraguy@aol

Dec 30, 2005
Atlanta
So, while waiting for TIG work to get done, and parts to arrive, I played around with carpentry.
Started building a new rear deck for the hatch area. I wanted to raise it a little bit, so that I'd have more room for the amplifier, capacitor and power distribution block. Also, because I am planning to 'hang' all of this upside-down from the underside of the deck rather than plant it all on the hatch floor, I wanted a slightly beefier piece of wood.

1/2" birch plywood, vs oem 1/4" crap plywood. Using it as a template.

p1972000_1.jpg

Countersunk fasteners.

p1972000_2.jpg

p1972000_3.jpg

p1972000_4.jpg

Clear polyurethane coating to resist moisture.

p1972000_5.jpg

Also, I ran the 4 gauge power line to the hatch area:

p1972000_6.jpg

p1972000_7.jpg

p1972000_8.jpg

It'll be a couple of days before I can finish work on either this, or the IC setup(waiting for parts). But I'll keep posting, if you guys keep reading.

:icon_bigg

supraguy@aol

Dec 30, 2005
Atlanta
Tired tonight.
Adam came down from SC today, and we worked out asses off, removing all his suspension arm/ hub bushings. But it was worth it- we got them all out.

Picked up my upper turbo stay from the fab shop. Looks like it will do what I need it to.

p1972856_1.jpg

supraguy@aol

Dec 30, 2005
Atlanta
Want to take some of the torque strain off of the exhaust manifold bolts. They're supporting a:
25lb manifold
20lb turbo
10lb downpipe
Fwd weight/ strain of the exhaust system
The stay will simply put a light upper tension on the turbo. Hopefully, it'll help with longevity.