Project: CNC Machined thermostat housing

4U2QUIK

1UZFE SWAP DUDE!!!
UPDATE ON PAGE 4!! FINALLY MADE THE PROTOTYPE!
TEST FITTED ON PAGE 5!

p1293174_1.jpg

THE HOSE FITTING WILL BE BARBED! DON'T WORRY!

I'm working on making one of these for myself, and I wanted to see if anyone else is interested in them also. I also Want to get some suggestions from everyone.
Here's the first draft of the solid model. It's kind of rough...
p1293174_2.jpg

update on post #34
p1293174_3.jpg

p1293174_4.jpg

p1293174_5.jpg

p1293174_6.jpg

p1293174_7.jpg

p1293174_8.jpg

p1293174_9.jpg

p1293174_10.jpg

p1293174_11.jpg

p1293174_12.jpg

p1293174_13.jpg

p1293174_14.jpg

p1293174_15.jpg

Last edited:

4U2QUIK

1UZFE SWAP DUDE!!!
figgie;1293209 said:
looks ok, The water neck will have to be addressed though.
I'm not understanding? (maybe it's the head cold I'm getting over.)

IJ.;1293224 said:
Be a good idea to make it a bit longer so you can pull the Timing cover without draining coolant then it's not just a Chi Chi ;)
Yeah, I was already thinking about doing that. Plus it will actually make it easier to machine.
btw I literally drew this up in under 10 minutes

ut89supra;1293241 said:
I am interested depending how the finish product looks and cost.

The finish will be very good. A matter of fact I'll garuntee that the finish will be better than a 32ra finish. (probably better) Plus I'm probably going to have them anodized and teflon coated.
I'll try to keep the cost between 50-100$ range. I know it's a big range. But it's a early estimation. Considering this solid model is a very rough draft.

Rennat

5psi...? haha
Dec 6, 2005
Tracy, CA
www.myspace.com
when we talked about this the first time i thought you meant the actual one that bolts to the head... or is that the next project? cause i got some killer ideas for that project.

either way we can test fit it on my car. hahaha

and my first suggestion would be to move the 3 ports on the left of the model as far downward of an angle as possible so that you dont have a sensor sticking up past the housing. but still enough space for either a regular flange head bolt or a hex head bolt (which i think would look the best with a custom housing like this)

With your laser etcher, or even the CNC, could we engrave "supra" into the cover? and maybe get it anodized black and then fill the letters in with some red paint?

Dec 3, 2003
Canada
Rennat;1293261 said:
when we talked about this the first time i thought you meant the actual one that bolts to the head..

Been done, aka one off. :)

I've always hated that abortion of a water neck in factory form.

4U2QUIK

1UZFE SWAP DUDE!!!
Rennat;1293261 said:
when we talked about this the first time i thought you meant the actual one that bolts to the head... or is that the next project? cause i got some killer ideas for that project.
I'm just going to remove the flash from the stock neck and anodize it red. I personally think the stock neck looks fine, it just that abortion of a housing in the front that I can't stand.

Rennat;1293261 said:
either way we can test fit it on my car. hahaha
ummmmmmmmm... No.
j/k

Rennat;1293261 said:
and my first suggestion would be to move the 3 ports on the left of the model as far downward of an angle as possible so that you dont have a sensor sticking up past the housing. but still enough space for either a regular flange head bolt or a hex head bolt (which i think would look the best with a custom housing like this)
I'm working on it right now.

Rennat;1293261 said:
With your laser etcher, or even the CNC, could we engrave "supra" into the cover? and maybe get it anodized black and then fill the letters in with some red paint?

I'm going to red anodize mine, and then I'll use the black ceramic tape to mark supra in black on it. It will look sick just like my pipes.

upgradedsupra;1293266 said:
Been done, aka one off. :)

I've always hated that abortion of a water neck in factory form.

yeah, the one off got me thinking about doing this project.

Dec 3, 2003
Canada
4U2QUIK;1293281 said:
yeah, the one off got me thinking about doing this project.

For the amount of work involved, nobody will pay for the entire set-up like mine. (not that I would sell them) Besides, the OEM CPS can not be used and I have no PS which will also be in the way.

Doing the outside like you posted, well, that will be different but good luck, much work ahead. ;)

Rennat

5psi...? haha
Dec 6, 2005
Tracy, CA
www.myspace.com
I like it better with the holes all on the one side. Cause that poet would be too close to the fan for me to run a wire there.

I'm thinking that I should be there when you cut it out for the first time

jimi87-t

Oct 12, 2005
Colorado Springs
ForcedTorque;1293327 said:
I'd be interested if they were for sale.

Is there not a problem with fan interference for you guys who can take the timing cover off without moving this part? Or, do you guys not use the stock fan? I love the idea of extending it out for that reason, but I will not be ditching the stock fan.

Mine is not extended out, this is why I don't have a problem (see pic) ;)
BTW, Duanes is way more extensive than my set-up.

p1293333_1.jpg

Last edited:

4U2QUIK

1UZFE SWAP DUDE!!!
Moving right along....
YouGotSpooled;1293498 said:
Can you make one with no sensor holes? Id be down for one.

I was planning on supplying plugs for people that want to delete the sensors alltogether.
I have another revision that I'll post later today or tomarrow.
it's way way way closer to a final and machinable model.

ilovemysupra;1293564 said:
i'd but in for one... PM me the price if you get enough people into it :icon_smil
now why would I do that? I'm not not trying to sell anything yet, I'm just trying to generate interest and get ideas at this point.

Zumtizzle

Can't Wait to Be King.
Oct 21, 2006
Sac-Town, NorCal
In the "extension" area I'd drill and tap one 1/8 NPT type sensors on the side and at the top have a slightly bigger plug for bleeding air. :)

But i'm going to question going through the trouble of doing a teflon coating on this housing. Assuming you're doing it for the non-stick characteristics and anti-corrosion characteristics; using any modern off the shelf coolant already has these characteristics engineered in.

But if it's little trouble i wouldn't say no. :)

Last edited:

jimi87-t

Oct 12, 2005
Colorado Springs
x87SUPRA87x;1293504 said:
jimi, what radiator is that?

It's a Jegs aluminum duel 1" core Ford style layout radiator. More info is in my build thread, starting in the first post and more info on page 3 (read it, don't just look at the pics ;).

4U2QUIK

1UZFE SWAP DUDE!!!
Rennat;1293318 said:
I like it better with the holes all on the one side. Cause that poet would be too close to the fan for me to run a wire there.

well, as I pointed out today it clears without any issue. and the stock wire will be exactly the right length

ForcedTorque;1293327 said:
Is there not a problem with fan interference for you guys who can take the timing cover off without moving this part? Or, do you guys not use the stock fan? I love the idea of extending it out for that reason, but I will not be ditching the stock fan.

it would have to be spced out over an inch before fan interferance would be an issue. I'm only spacing it out 1/4" which should be just enough to clear the timing cover. I've spent a bit of time just staring at the front of the engine making sure everything will fit right.

tekdeus;1293403 said:
^^^ Why didn't Toyota put the radiator inlet on that side?
1 word. crossflow.

Zumtizzle;1293655 said:
In the "extension" area I'd drill and tap one 1/8 NPT type sensors on the side and at the top have a slightly bigger plug for bleeding air. :)
ummm why a 1/8" npt? why not just use a 3/8" npt to 1/8" npt sleeve?
plus, if you were using it for fan controll or engine management you'd want it on the other side of the thermostat. Which there is already a boss that's in the perfect spot.

Zumtizzle;1293655 said:
But i'm going to question going through the trouble of doing a teflon coating on this housing. Assuming you're doing it for the non-stick characteristics and anti-corrosion characteristics; using any modern off the shelf coolant already has these characteristics engineered in.

But if it's little trouble i wouldn't say no. :)
the teflon dip isn't that much more for the lot price, plus it makes it easy to clean since bare anodize gets dirty fast.