pretty positive its piston slap

RazoE

Boobs/Boost, my favorite
Jun 13, 2006
Los Angeles
www.cafepress.com
the w58 has a push-type clutch, while the R154 has a pull, so it COULD have possibly been crank walk, but since you figured it out, then it's all good, just keep that in mind..

7Matt-GE

Nov 18, 2009
Becker, Minnesota
RazoE;1574584 said:
the w58 has a push-type clutch, while the R154 has a pull, so it COULD have possibly been crank walk, but since you figured it out, then it's all good, just keep that in mind..

i have an A340E :\ so its definitely something else lmao

how could crank walk develop? i know its common with the DSMs but our cars?

IJ.

Grumpy Old Man
Mar 30, 2005
I come from a land down under
RazoE;1574584 said:
Either style of clutch can get crank walk as there are 2 thrust bearings..

7Matt-GE;1574586 said:
i have an A340E :\ so its definitely something else lmao

how could crank walk develop? i know its common with the DSMs but our cars?
Rare but sometimes happens that an auto car will shag out the thrusts, usually for very different reasons to a manual.

More comoon is a cracked driveplate around the crank hub.

7Matt-GE

Nov 18, 2009
Becker, Minnesota
IJ.;1574630 said:
Either style of clutch can get crank walk as there are 2 thrust bearings..

Rare but sometimes happens that an auto car will shag out the thrusts, usually for very different reasons to a manual.

More comoon is a cracked driveplate around the crank hub.

interesting, is there anyway i can prevent cracked plates from happening a second time? im probably going to keep this auto for a little while (a year or so till i can get money for a 5 speed) i know that flexplate isnt exactly made of titanium or anything ;)

IJ.

Grumpy Old Man
Mar 30, 2005
Here's how I stopped it with my car, I replace the spacer disc with another driveplate minus the ring gear and use longer bolts.>>

34003.jpg

34004.jpg

7Matt-GE

Nov 18, 2009
Becker, Minnesota
hmm! ok, ok i see what you did there...where do you recommend i get longer bolts? hardware store? sorry if i seem to ask lots of questions i have never even heard of a flexplate till i got this car ;)

also whats that thing in the middle of the second picture's flexplate?

IJ.

Grumpy Old Man
Mar 30, 2005
I used the ARP 4age flywheel bolts for the crank and a set of the weird ass m9 bolts I found at my bolt supplier that I trimmed to suit but if I were doing it again I'd retap the Torque converter to m10 so I could use easy to find generic grade 8 bolts.

7Matt-GE

Nov 18, 2009
Becker, Minnesota
IJ.;1574660 said:
I used the ARP 4age flywheel bolts for the crank and a set of the weird ass m9 bolts I found at my bolt supplier that I trimmed to suit but if I were doing it again I'd retap the Torque converter to m10 so I could use easy to find generic grade 8 bolts.

oh nice! that doesn't seem too hard to do..ill try that out when i take this bugger apart! thanks man

7Matt-GE

Nov 18, 2009
Becker, Minnesota
IJ.;1575185 said:
I'll weigh it today and get a price on Shipping Matt.

If you can find a decent uncracked drive plate there it might be cheaper to ship just the spacer.

i do have a drive plate that i bought off someone else...did you weld those two plates together?

duffer26

Jun 15, 2005
Colorado Springs CO
hmmm sounds like i said something about this befor lol glad it was not RK it is not that big of a job just drop the trans like you are going to swap it out and replace

7Matt-GE

Nov 18, 2009
Becker, Minnesota
duffer26;1575235 said:
hmmm sounds like i said something about this befor lol glad it was not RK it is not that big of a job just drop the trans like you are going to swap it out and replace

yes sir you were correct! hahaha im actually planning on pulling both the engine and the trans at the same time since i gotta do seal work anyways ;) it'll be loads easier to do with the tools i got. (having no lift sucks hahaha)