Police perception amongst the general public.

Dunckel

Jan 16, 2007
Spokane, WA
I figured a Q&A thread on why police do the things they do, and why they do them that way, might be helpful.

A quick rundown on me: I've been in law enforcement for a few years now. I've worked in facilities ranging from minimum, to maximum security. I've worked at the city level, county, and federal. I'm currently a police officer. I'm a certified weapons expert, I've been tased and am a certified taser subject matter expert. I've recieved training in hostage negotiation, incident command, tactical communications, and high speed driving. I've been justified to use my taser, but never have. I've had to point my gun at people knowing that I may have to shoot. Thankfully I've never had to do it. Unfortunately, a few in my dept. have had to. I've had people pull guns on me. I've arrested people for shoplifting a candy bar, I've let people go that had cocain in their possession. I've given someone verbal warnings for infractions that totalled nearly $1500. I've issued an $800+ infraction on Christmas. I've had contact with pure shitbags that ended with a smile and a handshake (even a thank you), I've contacted people with no criminal history, and ended up on the receiving end of an ass whooping, and a trip to the hospital. I've also whooped ass. :icon_razz Don't get me wrong. I'm not claiming to know everything, or claiming that I have done everything.

Another officer asked me tonight, "Why do you do things the way you do?" I told him, "The general public has no idea what we do, and/or why we do things the way we do. The perception of today's police is a negative one. I want to help change that."

I said all that to say this; If anyone has a question on WHY the police do things the way they do, I think I am qualified to answer, and I want to help.

Ask away.

OfnaRcR4

Shea!
Oct 2, 2006
kettering ohio
I think some people go into law enforcement for the wrong reasons. I have a friend who always wanted to be a police officer. This guy was just nuts. Always bossy and always wanted things his way and when they didn't go his way he'd do anything to make you feel like shit and in a way that made him feel better. I think this has to do with possibly a lack of control when he was a child, or low self esteem, or both. Anyway, its people like that who become police officers for the wrong reason.. to feel in control of someone else.. its these guys that give cops a bad name. Thank god he gave up on the dream.
I also have another buddy that is an actual police officer and I trust he's doing a great job at it because he joined for the right reason of helping people out and carrying out what's right because it makes him feel better as a person(even though there are some really shitty days).

SupraMario

I think it was the google
Mar 30, 2005
The Farm
OfnaRcR4;1687765 said:
I think some people go into law enforcement for the wrong reasons. I have a friend who always wanted to be a police officer. This guy was just nuts. Always bossy and always wanted things his way and when they didn't go his way he'd do anything to make you feel like shit and in a way that made him feel better. I think this has to do with possibly a lack of control when he was a child, or low self esteem, or both. Anyway, its people like that who become police officers for the wrong reason.. to feel in control of someone else.. its these guys that give cops a bad name. Thank god he gave up on the dream.
I also have another buddy that is an actual police officer and I trust he's doing a great job at it because he joined for the right reason of helping people out and carrying out what's right because it makes him feel better as a person(even though there are some really shitty days).

This! I honestly think that all LEOs must go through a psych evaluation before becoming a LEO...it would curb at least some of crazy egotistic assholes away from being a keeper of the peace.

2543arvin

Moving to Japan!!!
Nov 30, 2006
Jacksonville, NC
^^^^Ive been in the Marine Corps for almost 7 years now and those same individuals join the military as well....always looking to have the TITLE Marine, rather than the duties. Its ridiculous, but Im not trying to jack your thread. I do have a question...Why did you choose to go into law enforcement?

max-89supra(t)

Dec 12, 2008
vancouver, wa
Ive always wondered why police don't state your rights before they ask you questions, only after. It seems a little stupid to me that they only say you have the right to remain silent after they already got everything they could out of you. BTW most cops I encountered were pretty good, respectful, professional and did their job well. One time a cop did take my keys and slammed them against my targa top (which left scratches) and said I would get my car towed without a chance of getting it back. This was after he caught me doing burnouts in a parking lot, I think he was just pissed off though. People always remember the bad incidents more than the good ones, and people who act stupid, disrespectful, threatening, etc.. will most likely have more bad incidents with cops.

Enraged

A HG job took HOW long??
Mar 30, 2005
Victoria, BC, Canada
honest question: why are police officers less likely (at least percieved less likely) to be criminally charged? example being the cop in washington state that shot and killed the aborginal carver, or more recently a cop in vancouver ran a red, killed 2 people, and pled down to driving without due care, and got a $1500 fine.

from the publics standpoint, there seems to be a double standard. if anything, i would say LEO should be judged MORE harshly than the public, because they have a greater knowledge of the laws and rights.

te72

Classifieds Moderator
Staff member
Mar 26, 2006
WHYoming
I've generally had good experiences with LEO's, but I gotta wonder about something that could be simply contributed to human nature, but why is it when someone is a friend/family/related to an LEO, they can pull some of the most boneheaded things this side of a Jackass skit without consequence?

It could just be a local thing too, this area is strange beyond my comprehension, to say the least.

SupraMario

I think it was the google
Mar 30, 2005
The Farm
MDCmotorsports;1687844 said:
Why do you guys sit around and eat donuts all day long? Pigs.

Let me ask you...if you got paid to sit and eat donunts all day would you?

I know I would lol

GrimJack

Administrator
Dec 31, 1969
Richmond, BC, Canada
idriders.com
Enraged;1687783 said:
honest question: why are police officers less likely (at least percieved less likely) to be criminally charged? example being the cop in washington state that shot and killed the aborginal carver, or more recently a cop in vancouver ran a red, killed 2 people, and pled down to driving without due care, and got a $1500 fine.

from the publics standpoint, there seems to be a double standard. if anything, i would say LEO should be judged MORE harshly than the public, because they have a greater knowledge of the laws and rights.

Well, in a way they are judged more harshly... consider what the average life expectancy of a LEO sentenced to jail is. Your average Joe can get jailtime and fully expect to go home afterward.

mattsplat72

is sofa king
Jan 17, 2006
Sedro Woolley, Washington, United States
All I am going to say is Thank You.

After Issac Zamora, Christopher J. Monfort, Maurice Clemmons, and now Byron Scherf. I think the cops have a pretty good reason to be pissed. You can see it in Seattle right now. I give them all respect due. I am not going to attempt to argue with them. That is what the court room is for. They have to deal with the very worst of humanity on a daily basis. Child molesters, rapist, and the like. They see the results of our stupid actions. Imagine having to respond to an accident after seeing a douche bag fly by on a bike at 160.

Enraged

A HG job took HOW long??
Mar 30, 2005
Victoria, BC, Canada
GrimJack;1687862 said:
Well, in a way they are judged more harshly... consider what the average life expectancy of a LEO sentenced to jail is. Your average Joe can get jailtime and fully expect to go home afterward.

that may be true, but what does it say to the public when an officer commits this sort of crime and barely gets punished (in the public eye), but an average citizen may get jailtime and a huge fine for a similar incident?

locally we have also had officers get DUI's, but they still have their job after. luckily they recently changed the law/policy letting officers simply resign (with pension and benefits) before a review came up, and having no punishment.

wiseco7mgt

dirty mechanic
Aug 12, 2007
queensland
The police have a great ability to turn a blind eye when it suits them which is both cool and disturbing. I made a citizens arrest and picked up a shop lifter and drove him into the tile floor face first, i then held him down till the police arrived. When the cop came and took him away i asked if i would get in trouble for what i did, after explaining how things went down that i tackled a running criminal he said i could press charges against the man for assault if i wanted as he would claim the man ran into me first. lol Coolest cop i ever met. The man was later searched and found carrying a small bag of white powder.

max-89supra(t)

Dec 12, 2008
vancouver, wa
One more thing, the guys and I were talking about this at work. Police are supposed use their sirens and speed etc only in a emergency right? then why do I see it done in non emergency situations all the time? Example; I was driving a heavy duty truck practicing for my cdl, I was doing 35 in a 35, cop behind me turns on his flashers, my instructor says you better pull over, as I start to pull over the cop just flys by me and turns off his flashers. And I see this kind of stuff in traffic all the time, the cops should be the first to follow the law and set an example.

shaeff

Kurt is FTMFW x2!!!!
Staff member
Super Moderator
Mar 30, 2005
Around
max-89supra(t);1687918 said:
One more thing, the guys and I were talking about this at work. Police are supposed use their sirens and speed etc only in a emergency right? then why do I see it done in non emergency situations all the time? Example; I was driving a heavy duty truck practicing for my cdl, I was doing 35 in a 35, cop behind me turns on his flashers, my instructor says you better pull over, as I start to pull over the cop just flys by me and turns off his flashers. And I see this kind of stuff in traffic all the time, the cops should be the first to follow the law and set an example.

I've had this happen before, too.

Abridged version of my novel from before:

Why the attitude? So very many of the police I've encountered have a wickedly bad attitude.

FullNelson

Sep 17, 2007
Coastal Georgia
How do you or other colleagues deal with cops that have power trips, or enlarged egos?
Do you find most police are more effective in investigating if they are jerks or attitudinal?

Its always bugged me that when dealing with a cop they are projected as the perfect lawfull person. And when you break any kind of law that they are inhuman and cant relate to someone making a bad decision or a mistake, thusly making me feel like Ive committed the worst possible act and making me feel that much more shame and guilt.

wiseco7mgt

dirty mechanic
Aug 12, 2007
queensland
Yes it's definitely the power trippers that aggravate me too. I'm also certain in Australia they have a quota to fill each week and look intently at motorists for even the smallest of violations and then fine accordingly when once a warning may have been given.
I had to repair the vending fridge they keep out the back of the local police station and instead of it being filled with coke and other soft drinks they had it stocked with cans of beer and UDL cans, which is illegal. How would they like it if i opened up a ticket book and wrote them out a fine for what they have done? Unfortunately i don't have the power to do so but i'd like to see there faces if i did.

Dunckel

Jan 16, 2007
Spokane, WA
2543arvin;1687775 said:
^^^^Ive been in the Marine Corps for almost 7 years now. Why did you choose to go into law enforcement?
First, thank you sir for your service.

I chose this carreer for a few reasons. I watched cops religiously growing up and thought to myself how fun it looked. My uncle is a retired Sgt. with LAPD. He always had good stories to tell about work. He made the job sound fun, and interesting. I've always been the kind of person that wanted to help people. Law enforcement just seemed to be the career that balled all of my interests together the best.

max-89supra(t);1687777 said:
Ive always wondered why police don't state your rights before they ask you questions, only after. It seems a little stupid to me that they only say you have the right to remain silent after they already got everything they could out of you.
When an Officer asks you questions, and the contact is not social but rather Terry (there are differences between social contacts and Terry contacts), he/she is trying to develop PC (probable cause) that a crime has been committed. So the Officer will ask you, in essence, what happened. As soon as that Officer has developed PC that a crime has been committed, he/she should then stop the questioning, and read you your rights.

For example, I had this situation yesterday; Dispatchers send me to a house where brother and sister are fighting. 911 calltakers heard brother yell, "If you don't give me the phone I'm going to beat the shit out of you like I did before." Officers arrive, and separate the brother and sister. Sister tells me, "my brother and I were arguing over a teddy bear. I wouldn't give it to him so he kicked me." Sister told me it was more than a playful kick, and that it caused pain, and she was in fear of being beaten up. I contact brother. I ask, "Why don't you tell me why I am here, and what happened? Why is your sister crying and why does she have a red mark on her thigh?" Brother tells me they were arguing and that he kicked her. Right there I told him to stop talking, and that he was under arrest for assault. Then I read him his rights, and asked him more specific questions directly related to the assault (crime). As soon as I knew a crime was committed, I read him his rights. I didn't need to before then, cause I couldn't charge him with a crime before then.

The reason I didn't just go into reading Miranda, was because I needed to develope PC that a crime did occur. She might have just fallen. I dunno. I also have to try to get a witness. There are alot of factors that go into turning an interview into an interrogation.
Enraged;1687783 said:
You have to remember, the media has a way of twisting stories, and making up the news. So you have to ask yourself, is what was reported, what really happened. I can't comment on why those Officers did what they did. I wasn't there, and don't know the facts. For whatever reason, that Officer felt it was necessary to shoot. I'm sorry I can't give you much more than that. And I haven't heard about the Officer running the light and killing 2, so...? I can tell you that, and it sucks, but politics play a role as well. Example; City/County/State prosecutor is up for re-election. Say that prosecutor has a huge police backing. You think that prosecutor is going to bite the hand that feeds him just before election time? Any idea what a City/County/State prosecutor makes /year? But you are right, the public's perception is that LEO are treated differently. Probably because some are, for whatever the reason. There are some though, that are not. If the deputy had been a regular shitbag, he would have been out in a week. Because he is/was a deputy, he was held in jail on a half million dollar bond since the incident in Oct. of last year.

te72;1687845 said:
why is it when someone is a friend/family/related to an LEO, they can pull some of the most boneheaded things this side of a Jackass skit without consequence?
Exactly. It's percieved that just because the idiot is related to a LEO, he gets away with shenanigans. Did you read that part in my first post where I let a random guy go that had cocain on his person? We've had Officers fired for doing stupid things off duty. So it's just that, a perception. Some do get let go, but some get hammered. We just don't hear about them as often.

SupraMario;1687846 said:
Let me ask you...if you got paid to sit and eat donunts all day would you?
Lol. It sounds great, but in all honesty, I would say no. I'm way too motivated to sit and do nothing.
MDCmotorsports;1687844 said:
Why do you guys sit around and eat donuts all day long? Pigs.
The media, and hollywood do a great job of stereotyping. We eat chineese.

One more thing, the guys and I were talking about this at work. Police are supposed use their sirens and speed etc only in a emergency right? then why do I see it done in non emergency situations all the time?
Ever see an Officer turn on his lights and sirens, and see a person in a vehicle just, stop...right in the middle of the road? Or merge LEFT? When an Officer runs code, he is accelerating the odds of causing an accident, or being in one himself. His liability goes through the roof. So I only run code if I feel it is an emergency, i.e. a person is in serious danger of being hurt, or is badly injured already and needs help. And obviously if I am in pursuit. I will not put my life or anyone else's in greator jeopardy by running code to a fight that has already been broken up. Now, I can see why you have this question. I've probably caused a few people to question the same thing. Lol. Let's say my fellow Officer just pulled over a car. He does a driver's check and dispatch answers over the radio that the person he is talking to has a warrant. The person is going to overhear that. Now that person knows he/she is going to jail. If you have ever been to jail, you probably don't want to go back. So as a fellow Officer who is a half mile away, I want to get there as quick as I can, but without putting lives in danger. In that case I would probably do 15-20mph over the limit without lights or sirens. If I come to an intersection, then I'll activate lights and sirens so I don't have to wait. I'll get through the intersection and turn them off proceeding on my way, quickly, but safely. To a random citizen stopped at that intersection, they probably think I came to the intersection, and just didn't feel like waiting. And I can understand why.

Another example: People see Officer driving normal, all of the sudden, lights and sirens are on and the cop accelerates quickly, and goes through an intersection, or around a vehicle then shuts them off and goes back to the speed limit. People see that and think, WTF? He just wanted around that car or didn't want to wait at that intersection. What they don't know, is that a fellow Officer is out on a traffic stop. Dispatch calls the Officer over the radio, but he doesn't answer. Dispatch calls again...No answer. Dispatch calls again...No answer. Now I'm thinking, "Oh shit!" I look on the computer to see his location and start to haul ass over there. 4 seconds after I turn my lights and sirens on, he answers back, he is fine, and didn't hear the radio. At that point, there is no need to continue with lights and sirens, as everything is fine.
the cops should be the first to follow the law and set an example.
I completely agree.

FullNelson;1687954 said:
How do you or other colleagues deal with cops that have power trips, or enlarged egos?
I ignore them. I will absolutely back them, and help them if needed, but otherwise, I don't associate with them.
FullNelson;1687954 said:
Do you find most police are more effective in investigating if they are jerks or attitudinal?
That can go both ways, and I have a hat for each. I can be a complete asshole if I want to be, and have been. It really depends on the kind of person you are talking to. Some people don't respond to "Officer friendly" because he might be perceived as a pushover. Some don't respond well when being yelled at. Psychology plays a big part when talking to people. If you portray the same mannerisms as the person you are talking to, you will get further. How to gangsters talk? They use slang, and cuss. So when talking to a banger, I'll assume the role of a banger. If I'm talking to grandma, I'll be polite, and smile alot.

[/QUOTE]

wiseco7mgt;1687990 said:
I'm also certain in Australia they have a quota to fill each week and look intently at motorists for even the smallest of violations and then fine accordingly when once a warning may have been given.
That's a popular misconception here too. I can assure you it's false. We don't have a set number of tickets that must be written in a certain cycle. We do however, must show that we are doing our jobs. My performance is going to reflect poorly if I stop 10 vehicles per month and not write one ticket. Part of what a Police Officer's duties are, is traffic enforcement. If I'm not stopping vehicles and writing tickets, I'm not doing my job. With that said, there are alot of stupid laws I will NOT enforce. Talking on the phone while driving is a stupid law. I will NEVER stop someone for that. Not wearing a seatbelt - if you are an adult - is a stupid law. If you are an adult, and you don't want to wear it, I don't think you should have to. You know the consequences. I don't have any problems washing your brains off of the roadway. I think people who don't wear it are taking a huge risk, but whatever.

MDCmotorsports

Offical SM Expert: Turbochargers
SM Expert
Mar 31, 2005
Indy 500
www.MDCmotorsports.com
Haha. Every one here at the department eats Subway, Texas roadhouse, or Jimmy Johns. :)

And yes folks, there are good guys and bad guys. Ive met some. Its called having a heavy badge and not doing your damn job.