Pics of your relocated Power Steering Reservoir

turboguy327

Sep 11, 2009
Rochester ny
Where should the filter go?? I would think from the cooler to the reservoir. Because if its like stock and goes between the pump and res. it could restrict flow and cause the problems the metal screen does.

whitemike

Banned
Aug 30, 2009
Winter Park, Florida, United States
sm_photo_missing.jpg

Don't discuss the cleanliness, that was RIGHT after install & first test run.

IJ.

Grumpy Old Man
Mar 30, 2005
I come from a land down under
turboguy327;1531838 said:
Where should the filter go?? I would think from the cooler to the reservoir. Because if its like stock and goes between the pump and res. it could restrict flow and cause the problems the metal screen does.

CajunKenny;1531760 said:
^My same question.

And with an N/A pump the low side would be the larger line. Correct? The smaller hose is ~3/8" and the larger is ~5/8" if I remember right. The larger one returns to the pump.

I was just at Schuck's and they indicated two sizes of filters (barbs). A 3/8" and a 1/2". No other sizes.

HKS_TRD;1531722 said:
Wouldnt it be better to go in the line from the reservoir to the pump? Or will it restrict flow and cause issues?

IJ.;1531707 said:
It goes in the low pressure return hose, as far as I know one size only.

HKS_TRD

Jul 21, 2007
Australia
I can see that it has to go there but yeah I'm trying to grasp the rationale for why it has to go there rather than between the reservoir and the pump, will it cause a restriction or flow issue on the suction line? Because my thinking is wouldnt you want it filtered BEFORE it gets drawn in by the pump, otherwise it kind of defeats the purpose.

Its late and I might not be thinking straight, thats my disclaimer lol

Last edited:

supra90turbo

shaeff is FTMFW!
Mar 30, 2005
MA, 01440
It's all the same, Dan. Put it in the low pressure return, it'll filter it as it goes into the reservoir so the pump has a full supply of clean, filtered, fluid ;)

IJ.

Grumpy Old Man
Mar 30, 2005
Again they only come in one size, roughly -6 in/out so it's NOT going to go in the -10 feed line.

I really don't see why it's an issue at all it's a closed system and everything that is in the reservoir will go through the low pressure return in time.

Can't be run in the high pressure line due to the system pressure.

HKS_TRD

Jul 21, 2007
Australia
I should have explained the background info, the metal reservoirs tend to be rustly/ ugly inside even the best one that came off my car when it was running and all the spare ones I have, I figure no matter how good I clean it (J dub told me running Pepsi through it works a treat) I figured filtering between the reservoir and the pump was the safest option to avoid any steel reservoir nasties (OCD kicking in here) so can you see any issue with running it in that location if I can get the right size?

Also any tips on cleaning out the inside of that ceramic coated Reservoir I spent an eternity prepping would be appreciated, is there any way to get the metal screen out of it?

HKS_TRD

Jul 21, 2007
Australia
Cost ridiculous amounts of money, and it'd probably rust sitting around after the coating process too no doubt

Anyway if I can get the filter in that size can you see any technical problem running it in the suction line to the pump?

As an aside, after I polish my brake master, I have nothing left to detail other than painting brackets black and things I can only do when motor is in the car this is getting scary!

IJ.

Grumpy Old Man
Mar 30, 2005
Spray the inside with CRC5-56 after it comes back from coating....

Yes it's NOT going to work as a prefilter, the pump relies on gravity to fill it from the reservoir (that's why it has such a large feed) any restriction to this is going to starve the pump and cause it to cavitate (think what happens when the stock screen is dirty)

These pumps will NOT take too kindly to being starved being vane pumps.

HKS_TRD

Jul 21, 2007
Australia
Ok well what should I do with mine now, also I noticed a tear in the screen which has obviously been there all the time, I have time to sort this. I will try the Pepsi then maybe fill it with CRC
what you are saying about the feed make sense I thought that may be the case.

I am tempted to split a spare one, do they come apart easy? And then gut it, or maybe I can get the lid off mine and just re-coat the top

Does Power Steering fluid harm the ceramic coating, in the event there was any ceramic inside it?

Blackdawg

Taco Soup..my rides
Oct 12, 2010
Wyoming
Kai;1739471 said:
Are all the folks here that are using the N/A reservoir using hardpipes, or stock plumbing? I have the N/A reservoir but stock plumbing fouls it...unless theres a trick i'm not yet aware of.

Just buy some new push lock hose from DM and plumb how you want to

hvyman

Dang Dude! No Way Man.
Staff member
Apr 17, 2007
Fullerton,CA
My jz one is polished stock. Im not a big shiney part guy. rather have powder coated black or black chrome. Or even matte black.