Pics of valve adjustment for mk3 turbo supra

suprahero

naughty by nature
Staff member
Aug 26, 2005
Roll Tide
One question. I looked at the link posted by yardarm. Once you've measured all of your clearances, why not just take the cams off and remove the buckets instead of presssing them down with two screwdrivers and using pliers to pull them out? It doesn't take but a minute or two to remove the caps and take the cams out. Is there a reason he did it this way?

yardarm1

Perfectionist
Dec 31, 2006
Teignmouth
If you remove the cams to take the shims out then you can very easily just pop them off with a small flatblade screwdriver or magnetic parts tool. You'd have to set up all the timing again properly if you did this which would be more effort than working around it. Obviously to remove the cams the pulleys, timing belt, covers etc all need to go.

Nick M

Black Rifles Matter
Sep 9, 2005
U.S.
www.ebay.com
It takes longer to remove the belt from the pulley, and pull the pulley off the cam, than to pull the shim with the bucket depressed. The factory tool, which isn't anything more than a fancy plier, and the long spacer works quite well.

Facime

Leather work expert
Jun 1, 2006
Corvallis OR
Im guessing SH meant when you are putting a motor together, and you have the cams in but nothing on the front of them yet. When I did my motor I torqued the cams, measured, calculated, removed cams and reshimmed. Then reinstall cams, verify gap and proceed with the rest of the build.

GrimJack

Administrator
Dec 31, 1969
Richmond, BC, Canada
idriders.com
theWeezL;1008393 said:
Im guessing SH meant when you are putting a motor together, and you have the cams in but nothing on the front of them yet. When I did my motor I torqued the cams, measured, calculated, removed cams and reshimmed. Then reinstall cams, verify gap and proceed with the rest of the build.
I did the same thing. But I also took the valve covers off and rechecked them in a week after it was running... sure enough, the values had changed a bit on a few, so I used the other method to replace those.

Nick M

Black Rifles Matter
Sep 9, 2005
U.S.
www.ebay.com
When building, that should work fine. Valve adjust on this engine is to be done when the motor is stone cold. Or your adjustment will be wrong.

suprahero

naughty by nature
Staff member
Aug 26, 2005
Roll Tide
I did mean that Pete, but I didn't know I should leave extra clearance when building them. I'll have to talk with my machine shop. I'm not holding you responsible if it's not right Ian............:biglaugh:

drbowser3

The Doc is in...
Jan 17, 2006
Tampa,FL
Nice write-up. So basically the best way to do the ones with no clearance is to put different shims in place to get better readings??

About to install new cams with shim-less buckets so I NEED the right size the first time before ordering