Numba1Stuna's 1990 7M-GTE Complete rebuild thread

AnubisMK3

Jul 31, 2012
Milwaukee
Numba1Stuna;1862071 said:
I sure hope so. Four of the threads on there were just completely trashed and completely stripped. That's what happens to 20 year old aluminum when it overheats... Plus the PO probably over torqued them... I think I remember reading that the specs were 29 ft lbs... I'll have to double check once I get to that point.

It will hold fine with the helicoil, and it can actually take a little more torque, also allows a bit of flexibility compared to the originals

Numba1Stuna

Apr 18, 2012
Nampa, ID
boostrwd23;1866248 said:
Looks very nice

Thanks! I'm exited to get this back together and have some fun. Been a project for almost a year... Way too long!

AnubisMK3;1866250 said:
It will hold fine with the helicoil, and it can actually take a little more torque, also allows a bit of flexibility compared to the originals

Good to know, would you recommend still going 29 ft lbs torque or higher? I had planned on still going 29.

Sent from my G2x using Tapatalk 2

Numba1Stuna

Apr 18, 2012
Nampa, ID
Lol, I'm definitely keeping those, luckily they came with the car even. I do eventually want to change the front and back bumper. The front one was trashed when I got it and the current one was just a cheap local replacement.

Numba1Stuna

Apr 18, 2012
Nampa, ID
So I got another car two weeks ago... A Turbocharged Ford Probe GT. I know guys, I know. But, I got it for almost next to nothing by doing a little bartering. She couldn't get it to run and it was sitting at her work for a month. The way she described the breakdown in the middle of the road I thought it was something simple. So I took a gamble and picked it up. Changed the battery out and she started running, then it died. Bought a new fuel pump on Ebay for $18, which I got in the mail yesterday, and now she lives! That little 2.2L F2T is actually decent. There were only a couple mods, so nothing crazy. Here's a picture.

Attachments

• uploadfromtaptalk1348070960913.jpg
    uploadfromtaptalk1348070960913.jpg
    99.7 KB · Views: 30

Numba1Stuna

Apr 18, 2012
Nampa, ID
Lol, the Probe is just a tide me over turbo until the Supra is running! I need a bigger digital caliper to measure the block and head for the head gasket... Anyone local got one I can use?

Notsafe1jz

Aug 16, 2012
Ohio
Thumbs up on the build.

That Probe with will make good torque, and okay power. They roll out on the highway pretty good. I had some friends way back when that put some time into those cars. From what I remember they are all iron motors and 8 valve heads(hence the good torque).

Numba1Stuna

Apr 18, 2012
Nampa, ID
Thanks for all the kind remarks guys! Can't wait to roll the Supra. This dipshit I met the other day at the gas station on my street was cruising his beat up Protege (Protogay) and said he was getting a gtr swap... I laughed and said I'd race him with the 91 Supra once it was running again and he had actually saved up enough for his swap. He really thinks he has a chance... Lol.

Numba1Stuna

Apr 18, 2012
Nampa, ID
I finally received my digital caliper in the mail today! Tomorrow I will begin measuring the head and the block so that I can calculate the right size head gasket. Finally another step towards completion!

buvatabu.jpg

Numba1Stuna

Apr 18, 2012
Nampa, ID
Hell yeah, me too. And the best part was the price, only $34.99. Can't wait to put it to use tomorrow lol.

Numba1Stuna

Apr 18, 2012
Nampa, ID
Says it's accurate up to .001" and that's more then enough accurate to measure for the HG. I guess we will see tomorrow lol.

Numba1Stuna

Apr 18, 2012
Nampa, ID
Thanks lol. I just tested it a little bit ago. I have an expensive 6" digital caliper that I used to measure the extra shims I had and I wrote the sizes on the shims. The new one provided the same values so I'm sure I'm good to go.