Notorious M.K.3.

Grandavi

Sep 25, 2008
Calgary, Alberta, Canada
rodel;1625227 said:
You are a lucky man. So does that mean she will allocate more funds to the Supra bank account?

---------- Post added at 01:21 AM ---------- Previous post was at 01:08 AM ----------

I have a theory I use that works for the $$ situation. I bought her a 1996 Oddysey (the year after they came out) and then replaced it with a 1998 Odyssey. Paid about 24,000.00 for the van. So... it is worth roughly 3500.00 right now.
My theory is.. if I put 24,000.00 into my car it will be worth roughly 10,000.00 (canada value). AND... it will be the car I want. So.. is it worth it? most definitely! How much would I have to pay to get a car that puts out 400+ HP with a targa/removable top brand new?
now.. add that to the fact that I pay 11.00 per month for full insurance on 2 MKIII's (88 is insured for 6000 and 90 is insured for 4500) and.. voila! Ready made excuse to pour funds into the car... lol

Unfortunately, I am at 11,500 into the 88 so far and have only skimmed the surface. Its going to take another 5000-6000 solely to get the body to where I want it, about 4000 - 6000 to get the drivetrain to where I want it and about 4000 for misc interior fun. Definitely not doing this to sell the car.. lol

But I really like the look of yours. Mine is grey, but I want to paint it with a grey top and fade to black towards the bottom. Kind of a black pearl effect. I am ordering the same sideskirts you used (unless you recommend against it) and the same bumper additions. I just have to decide if I want to swap the tail lights to the 90 style and use the 90 front bumper (if that is even possible.. I know the 90 lights will work with slighty hole modifications.. not sure about the nose)

Your engine bay is very impressive though. Makes me want to rip my engine/tranny out and hand-sand the entire bay.. lol.

Last edited:

rodel

SoCal
May 19, 2005
SoCal
Grandavi;1625374 said:
Mine is grey, but I want to paint it with a grey top and fade to black towards the bottom. Kind of a black pearl effect. I am ordering the same sideskirts you used (unless you recommend against it) and the same bumper additions. I just have to decide if I want to swap the tail lights to the 90 style and use the 90 front bumper (if that is even possible.. I know the 90 lights will work with slighty hole modifications.. not sure about the nose)

Your engine bay is very impressive though. Makes me want to rip my engine/tranny out and hand-sand the entire bay.. lol.

Fixing up a car properly and completely certainly is not an inexpensive venture.

If I was going to do a fade on my car, as you want to do to yours, I'd actually make the bottom part of the car grey, then fade to black towards the top of the car. If you want to know why...PM me.

Not many people go with the Abflug sides that I have...so why not go with it? However, I don't think the Abflug sideskirts would look suitable with a pre 89 front bumper...so I'd go with an 89 and up bumper. The 89 and up bumper will bolt right onto your 88 car. If you're gonna go with an 89 front bumper, then you might as well go with the 89 tail lights.

Alec

SP Tuned
Apr 6, 2009
Illinois
Hey rodel, any closer pics of how you cut the bumper for the FMIC? It looks really good
p1625422_1.jpg

rodel

SoCal
May 19, 2005
SoCal
Alec;1625422 said:
Hey rodel, any closer pics of how you cut the bumper for the FMIC? It looks really good
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v207/rodel/nisei%20showoff%202010/NiseiShowoff-May2010.jpg[/IMG[/QUOTE]

Sorry, I don't. I just cut as much off the bumper to push the intercooler as far up as possible.

Grandavi

Sep 25, 2008
Calgary, Alberta, Canada
I do have a 90 sitting behind the garage that i have been iffy about what to do with. Still undecided. Its red with grey leather interior, whereas my 88 is grey with grey cloth interior. Therefore.. I do have the parts.. i could just swap em back and forth. However, the 90 has a bhg.. so I am at the stall point. Do I fix-up the 90 or do I part it out. The 88 just needs paint and its an excellent car as is (all stock except the rims and rad).

Its been a very tough decision because both cars have the good and bad. I have priced out most of what I want to do, but with the 90, it gives me the option of actually pulling the engine/trany and doing everything from scratch. It seems like an easy thing, but I truly cant decide what to do.

Meanwhile.. the offers pour in for the 90... lol.. and I dont even have it advertised for sale!

rodel

SoCal
May 19, 2005
SoCal
I did a same day turnaround trip to Vegas. I left the house on Sunday 5 am and arrived t0 Vegas at 9:15 am. I cruised the Las Vegas Blvd Strip for a few minutes. I left my house with a clean Supra, but after the 240 mile trip, I had dust all over the car and had dead bugs all over my bumper, so I got a car wash. After the wash, I bought Meguiars quick detailer at Autozone. Since I knew that the food at the even was going to cost an arm and a leg, I bought Panda Express food to go (orange chicken/ Beijing beef/ fried rice). Finally, I arrived at the Las Vegas Motor Speedway at 11:15 am.

The show was fun, overall. I met people from the forums. Parked next to me was an female senior citizen who had a clean read Supra who paid $675 to ship her car from New Mexico to Vegas. Now that's a true Supra fan! Many people gave me positive feedback about my Supra. One guy, who brought his MKIV to the Show and Shine, now wants to buy an MKIII. :yikes:

The show ended around 4:30 pm. I went to Rio's Carnival World Buffet with Nick Stonawski, his gf, Jill, and two fellow MKIII owners, Christian and Joshua.

I finally left Vegas around 8:30 pm. The drive home was crazy. I drove in a storm with epic lightnings and dense fog. I finally got home at 1 am and went to sleep at 1:30 am. At 4 am, I left the house go to work.

Below are some pictures that I grabbed, taken by other attendees.

p1630096_1.jpg

p1630096_2.jpg

p1630096_3.jpg

p1630096_4.jpg

p1630096_5.jpg

p1630096_6.jpg

At the end of the show, I was given an award

p1630096_7.jpg

p1630096_8.jpg

p1630096_9.jpg

Since my car has looked the same for the past three 2010 meets: Toyota Fest, Nisei Showoff, Supras Invade Las Vegas, it's time to start project: Notorious MK3 F-Version

Last edited:

Grandavi

Sep 25, 2008
Calgary, Alberta, Canada
Congrats on the trophy.. well deserved. I want to do a Vegas run when I get mine finished. Would be good to meet and greet!

I just noticed your shifter. Is that a custom jobby or is it available somewhere. Mine is a silver cue-ball that I hate. short throw, but your seems like it would be much better.

rodel

SoCal
May 19, 2005
SoCal
Grandavi;1630186 said:
Congrats on the trophy.. well deserved. I want to do a Vegas run when I get mine finished. Would be good to meet and greet!

I just noticed your shifter. Is that a custom jobby or is it available somewhere. Mine is a silver cue-ball that I hate. short throw, but your seems like it would be much better.
Thank you. I hope you make it to a future Vegas event. SILV should have an award for the longest drive to Vegas. The shifter is C's with a Veilside shift knob. Greddy has an identical shift knob.

A rolling shot, on the 15 freeway, after leaving Show and Shine, courtesy of Nick Stonawski's gf, Jill.

p1630203_1.jpg

Last edited:

gurley0916

Gurley=Last Name not girl
Mar 10, 2008
Columbus,OH
Saw this beauty at the show and shine and I have to say that its has one of the best paint jobs I have seen for the color black!! Very well done and pictures dont do the car justice until you actually see the car in person. Cangrats on the award!

Grandavi

Sep 25, 2008
Calgary, Alberta, Canada
is that hood painted carbon fibre? I wont do carbon fibre unless I see a painted version that works.. lol

After looking for 3 years for the perfect Supra, I finally decided that I will stick with my 88, upgrade it, and finish it. Too many "perfect" ones that are far from where I am at already.
Just keep looking at yours as the standard.. lol

rodel

SoCal
May 19, 2005
SoCal
Grandavi;1630375 said:
is that hood painted carbon fibre? I wont do carbon fibre unless I see a painted version that works.. lol

After looking for 3 years for the perfect Supra, I finally decided that I will stick with my 88, upgrade it, and finish it. Too many "perfect" ones that are far from where I am at already.
Just keep looking at yours as the standard.. lol

It is carbon fiber, "ghost" painted. There reallly is not "perfect" Supra. For me, my car is "good for now." Good luck with your Supra!

tsupranami

Drain Bamaged
Mar 11, 2006
Eastern WA
Congrats on the victory! I am glad I was there to see your car in person as photos don't do that paintjob justice! You have a lot of very subtle touches that really make your car a head-turner! Well Done!!!

btw, The ghost-painted carbon is on the rear diffuser pods/skirts too, isn't it?! How-Where-What did you do back there to make it lok like that?

rodel

SoCal
May 19, 2005
SoCal
I appreciate the positive feedback everyone!

gurley0916;1630232 said:
Saw this beauty at the show and shine and I have to say that its has one of the best paint jobs I have seen for the color black!! Very well done and pictures dont do the car justice until you actually see the car in person. Cangrats on the award!

The paint job does look better in person.

Poodles;1630234 said:
That last pic gives me the itch man...

I'm not sure where you were going on that one.:icon_eek:

tsupranami;1630428 said:
Congrats on the victory! I am glad I was there to see your car in person as photos don't do that paintjob justice! You have a lot of very subtle touches that really make your car a head-turner! Well Done!!!

btw, The ghost-painted carbon is on the rear diffuser pods/skirts too, isn't it?! How-Where-What did you do back there to make it lok like that?

There are a few details that pictures don't highlight, as you mentioned, things like the ghost-painted hood and rear add-ons.

The ghost-painting was done by Shineautoproject's in-house painter.

SuprA70;1630252 said:
Did you raise your car Rodel? You're showing too much shadow in that gap between your bumper and the road :evil2:

You're right. I need more slam status.

rodel

SoCal
May 19, 2005
SoCal
IJ.;1630597 said:
http://www.crabs.net/images/crabs_for_web_dozen.CPT.gif[/IMG ;)[/QUOTE]

That's was one of the things I had in mind.[COLOR="Silver"]

Last edited: