No start after Valve Job.

cinciguy89turbo

Zero to Sixty
Apr 7, 2009
Cincinnati, Ohio, United States
Well, everything is back together from my rebuild. I did a poor job of taking pictures in the beginning. I have a ground wire left over, and I'm not sure where it goes. My coil pack is grounded. I also have 2 orange female plugs between the injector rail and the intake. I can't figure out where they go. There were a lot of loose plugs in my car when I stated. Assuming some are because the car is 90 N/A, and the motor is 89 turbo...I took my chances and tried to start it.

The car is in time, and just turns over. It doesn't fire, but occasionally puffs a little bit out of the exhaust. I'm not sure if this makes a difference or not, but the tack jumps a little the entire time while cranking. It doesn't backfire, but it makes popping noises while cranking.

I guess I'm going to start with the grounding issues, and finding out where these orange plugs go. I'll post some pics.

remkye08

Learner
Oct 1, 2009
Round Rock, TX (Austin)
hey bro ok i just putted my n/a engine back together yesterday and it started at the first try :D

is the cable that you dunno where it goes, like with a red wire and the plug is kinda brownish?

because i have a hard time finding that and is the starter cable

for the grounds there are 2 grounds on the right side of the car looking from the front, they go attach to the bolt that is holding a metal that have a blue plug, below the intake manifold

take pics and i can help you,

im just missing a hose that comes from the throttle body and it goes to the heater and i have no idea where is the entrance of that xD

kotu100

Nov 23, 2006
Easton, Ma
those plugs are for your VSV's.
sounds like your timing is off, did you check it? set base timing per tsrm?

SupraCobra

Feb 4, 2009
Melbourne, FL
My guess first off would be that you don't have spark or spark at the right time.

Step one: Check CPS. (This has always been my stupid downfall after rebuilds, only I have an 7MGE. <----------DO THIS FIRST

http://www.cygnusx1.net/Supra/Library/TSRM/MK3/manual.aspx?Section=IG&P=21

Step two: Check for fuel. (Do the Spark Plugs smell like fuel?)

Step three: Check for spark. (U could use a timing light if you have two people, while trying to start it check each plug wire to see if the light goes off. Or you could remove a plug with it attached to a wire and make sure you get spark when you try to start it. You also smell fuel here too.)

Step four: Check Compression. (Use a compression tester.)

Take pics of where your ground are currently connected. You can test your grounds with a Multimeter.

PICS are a must for the missing plugs and grounds...

kotu100

Nov 23, 2006
Easton, Ma
cinciguy89turbo;1452975 said:
My crank is at 0, and the cam sprockets are in line with the top of the second cover.

Vacuum switching valves??? Where do they go?

under the intake manifold. IIRC one is for fuel, and one is for your EGR.

did you reset the CPS when you put it back in? did the cam gears go back on properly?

SupraCobra

Feb 4, 2009
Melbourne, FL
cinciguy89turbo;1452984 said:
Is this when I align the "driven gear" with the groove?

Will plugging this plugs in require me to take off the intake manifold?

Read the link and follow exactly as it says... http://www.cygnusx1.net/Supra/Library/TSRM/MK3/manual.aspx?S=IG&P=21

I don't have the 7mgte, I have the 7mge...

Based on the TSRM I don't believe you have to remove the intake manifold. I think it's just the power steering reservoir and a few hoses...

http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/4/46/7MGTE_replanted.JPG

It's right behind the PS reservoir in the center of this picture...

SupraCobra

Feb 4, 2009
Melbourne, FL
cinciguy89turbo;1453069 said:
Hey, thanks but I was talking about the SVS plugs with taking off the intake.

Vacuum Piping Diagram v v
http://www.cygnusx1.net/Supra/Library/EPC/291420/catalog.aspx?F=1708&P=3

Picture may help too...
http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/1/13/7M-GTE_side_view.jpg

You should be able to plug them in without taking it off, but it will be a pain in the ass!!! Take the alternator and the A/C compressor off and it might help, but you should be able to reach them from underneath.

cinciguy89turbo

Zero to Sixty
Apr 7, 2009
Cincinnati, Ohio, United States
SupraCobra;1453082 said:
Take the alternator and the A/C compressor off and it might help, but you should be able to reach them from underneath.

A/C Compressor.....LUXURY! that's almost as funny as me having power steering! lol! Thanks a ton man!

BTW checked for codes...there is a code 15. I've searched and code 15 seems to be non-existant!

SupraCobra

Feb 4, 2009
Melbourne, FL
cinciguy89turbo;1453094 said:
A/C Compressor.....LUXURY! that's almost as funny as me having power steering! lol! Thanks a ton man!

BTW checked for codes...there is a code 15. I've searched and code 15 seems to be non-existant!

Disconnect the negative from the battery for a minute to clear any codes and then check again...

shaeff

Kurt is FTMFW x2!!!!
Staff member
Super Moderator
Mar 30, 2005
Around
Ok, you said you installed the distributor correctly, and that your crank is at 0*BTDC, and the cam gear notches are at 12 o'clock. Are the cam gears aligned on the center hole? (there are three possible holes to put them in, they have to be centered)

Was cylinder one (and six) at TDC? If not, then your even with your dizzy and cam/crank timing at 0*/12o'clock, it won't start. (commonly known as having your timing 180* out)

All timing aside, do you have fuel, spark, and air?

SupraCobra

Feb 4, 2009
Melbourne, FL
cinciguy89turbo;1453110 said:
Cylinder 1 is def at TDC, is it possible for one to be and 6 not to be?

No, that's not possible...

When the cam gears were put back on, was the pin properly reinstalled into the middle hole? Important!!!

I know there's no Code 15... Maybe your ECU is toast... :( Hope not... But if you get an unexpected code, reset the ECU and try again...