New here..need suggestion for which motor to replace my 87' with a blown 7mgte

MNBmk3T

Aug 2, 2011
Burnaby, BC
Go with a 2JZ-GE. Like most have said earlier, it's going to need to be reliable. Driving a turbo car through college/university is not an easy thing, I did it and FML do I ever wish I didn't. Get something NA for the time being, just so you can get through college with a nice reliable and FUN daily driver. Then when the time comes you have some money, throw some boost on the 2J and it'll handle it like a champ. What's wrong with a high compression, boosted motor? :D Or you could do the 1UZ swap.

Either way, both motors are stupid easy to find. So going to a junkyard and finding one there shouldn't be a hard task whatsoever.

IJ.

Grumpy Old Man
Mar 30, 2005
I come from a land down under
Best bang for the $ and easiest upgrade path down the track when funds permit is the 2J-GE+7M electronics, no matter what people would have you belive the 1UZ is neither...
(just got done helping a Bud 1UZ swap a Cressida so I have an idea of the hurdles involved)

ttsupra2503

6'8 BC Giant
Feb 28, 2012
Kelowna, BC
Personally... find out how much both cost and see what one is cheaper for you. Both are great motors and the cost is about the same. Hurdles are no harder to fit a 1uz compared to a 2jz. Keep the system that was on the motor or dont bother doing a swap. That is my opinion

IJ.

Grumpy Old Man
Mar 30, 2005
ttsupra2503;1886763 said:
Personally... find out how much both cost and see what one is cheaper for you. Both are great motors and the cost is about the same. Hurdles are no harder to fit a 1uz compared to a 2jz. Keep the system that was on the motor or dont bother doing a swap. That is my opinion
So you've done the UZ swap?

suprarick

May 3, 2007
Texas
Thanks guys so much for the opinions. To my surprise I just recently figured out that I can use the 7mgte electronics on the 2jzge :)

I currently have an automatic tranny btw and this is not going to be my daily driver (I have a camry for that) so I'm going to give this swap the go-ahead.

As far as people saying we can use 7mgte electronics on a 2jzge, what Exactly do they mean? Everything (7m wiring harness, ecu, etc.)?

-Patrick

ttsupra2503

6'8 BC Giant
Feb 28, 2012
Kelowna, BC
IJ.;1886809 said:
So you've done the UZ swap?

I have done Chevy v8 swaps, 1uz swaps into 4runners, 22-ret conversions. So yes I have done a couple swaps. When I did my 1uz swap I had the a340 transmission that should be in the original posters car as well. Just swapped out the torque converter and bell housing but swapping the whole transmission is also a cheap option.

redrocco

QUADCAM
Feb 21, 2007
Rochester NY
I love my 1UZ swap, it has been very reliable for over 5 years and around 40,000 miles. I love this swap so much I bought a second supra to swap it into so my 1st supra can get a new swap. The 1uz is a very cheep engine and the 1989-94 1UZ's are very sturdy. Its a lot easier swap these days then it was back in 2007 but its still not a cake walk. As far as after market goes the JZ and 7M have TONS more then the 1UZ. I have almost ten years as a machinist and CNC/machine tech going for me and there for fabbing my own mounts, harnesses, manifolds ext is not a big deal but if you have to pay some one to do that kinda work for you the cost goes up quick. It looks like a rear sump AT 1JZ-gte with ecu and uncut harness can be had for just under $1500. If you feal that you can handle the wiring into you supra then you just need a JZ to R154 bell housing and motor mounts to be close to done.

Or join me on the crazy boat and go 1GZ-FE... buget, we don't need no stinking budget LOL.

IJ.

Grumpy Old Man
Mar 30, 2005
IJ.;1886025 said:
2J would be my choice by far, as 222 said leave it GE for now so it's reliable and you can enjoy and DD it, done right you can run it on the 7M electronics for now saving time/effort/expense.

The 2J has far more potential down the track when it's time to add a Turbo, the extra 500cc isn't to be dismissed lightly in a fat Mk3 ;)

suprarick;1886884 said:
Thanks guys so much for the opinions. To my surprise I just recently figured out that I can use the 7mgte electronics on the 2jzge :)

I currently have an automatic tranny btw and this is not going to be my daily driver (I have a camry for that) so I'm going to give this swap the go-ahead.

As far as people saying we can use 7mgte electronics on a 2jzge, what Exactly do they mean? Everything (7m wiring harness, ecu, etc.)?

-Patrick
Just figured it huh....

ttsupra2503;1886892 said:
I have done Chevy v8 swaps, 1uz swaps into 4runners, 22-ret conversions. So yes I have done a couple swaps. When I did my 1uz swap I had the a340 transmission that should be in the original posters car as well. Just swapped out the torque converter and bell housing but swapping the whole transmission is also a cheap option.
1UZ into a Mk3 with EVERYTHING working isn't an easy swap, 2J-GE on 7M eletronics is simple by comparison, as for 1UZ Bellhousing on a 7M Trans we tried that no way known was it going to work as the 7M Torque convertor needed for the 26 spline input shaft on the 7M Trans was 25mm too short and by the time it was bolted to the 1UZ Driveplate (which needed to be modified as the Bolt PCD's are different) it had pulled the drive slots for the pump out = no drive in any gear...

Been swapping engines for 37 years now and it's NEVER as simple as it seems... if you do it right.
(a car where none of the OE stuff functions or has been replaced with aftermarket junk is not done right)

suprarick

May 3, 2007
Texas
^^ Well, there is an issue and that is, I'd be going from a turbo engine (the 7mgte) to a naturally aspirated engine (the GE). The wiring differences between the two engines could present headaches. Oh yeah... I'm a total NEWB when it comes to electronics and wiring unfortunately (but the point of this swap is to learn about our cars and enjoy the end result).

I'm ALMOST thinking that the extra cost of a 1JZGTE may just be worth it if I'm going to stick with my original 7MGTE wiring harness. The other thing I need to think about is that if I get a 1jz with an uncut wiring harness I could just use the 1jzgte harness and ditch the 7mgte harness

Another plus of using a 1JZGTE would be that it's already got lower compression and it's already turbocharged. In the end, no matter which route I decide to take, the car will be turbocharged (no I don't think staying NA is cool LOL). Ahhhh decisions, decisions.

IJ.

Grumpy Old Man
Mar 30, 2005
Run it as a GE on the 7M GTE Wiring, it'll drive like a Turbo car that never comes on boost ;)

Main thing is to get it done and reliable, fast can come later when you can afford it!

ttsupra2503

6'8 BC Giant
Feb 28, 2012
Kelowna, BC
IJ.;1886940 said:
1UZ into a Mk3 with EVERYTHING working isn't an easy swap, 2J-GE on 7M eletronics is simple by comparison, as for 1UZ Bellhousing on a 7M Trans we tried that no way known was it going to work as the 7M Torque convertor needed for the 26 spline input shaft on the 7M Trans was 25mm too short and by the time it was bolted to the 1UZ Driveplate (which needed to be modified as the Bolt PCD's are different) it had pulled the drive slots for the pump out = no drive in any gear...

Been swapping engines for 37 years now and it's NEVER as simple as it seems... if you do it right.
(a car where none of the OE stuff functions or has been replaced with aftermarket junk is not done right)

What issues did you have making everything work with the 1uz-fe swap into the supra? And what items did you have issues making work? Maybe I know solutions that you haven't thought of yet. I like helping others :icon_bigg

I might want to point out that I used the 1uz torque converter and bell housing to fit up to a matching a340 transmission. There is also a way to cut the a340 tail shaft so that it works with the original transfercase.

I guess I have a new view on how to do things because I never found it hard. I found it fun and easy. All my tools are electric (not air powered) and I only sub in parts that are needed to be changed to make the swap work. a good example is changing oil pumps and making oil pans to fit differently into the different cars. I like doing swaps and making cars run better and dont like the idea of using the word cant in the car world.

suprarick

May 3, 2007
Texas
In all honesty, I'm trying to decide between a 2JZGE motor and 7MGTE. Problem is, I have never had experience with a motor swap and with electronics so I will be learning along the way. Good thing is, I have a daily driver, so time won't be an issue.

I'm worried about electronics between going from my current 7mgte harness (turbo) to a naturally aspirated GE motor. I'm assuming I can pick up both a 7MGTE and a 2GE for about the same price.

Honestly, what would you do if you were me? I have a blown headgasket and rod knock on the 7mgte thats in the car now

suprarick

May 3, 2007
Texas
^^ Thanks. Need to bite the bullet and run a GE with 7mgte electronics. Hope I won't be in for too much headache doing so! Then again can't be rocket science...plenty of people work on cars and it's time I start wrenching and learning. Glad it's not my daily thats for sure.