Status
Not open for further replies.

Nick M

Black Rifles Matter
Sep 9, 2005
U.S.
www.ebay.com
lifted said:
i just replaced my headgasket, and due to the block not being smooth enough, its blown again. so i really need this asap.

OEM style or MHG? This will new gasket will not help if the block is not flat or pitted.

mk1spyder

Banned
Sep 11, 2005
Western NC
I'm in the middle of a long build and im right at the point where I was about to slap the head on with my cometic 1.7mm mhg but luckily I came across this in time, im trying to do this all right the first time.

Jaguar_5

It's ALIVE!
Feb 7, 2006
Seattle
^ If you properly decked the block and head to 50 RA or less, then feel free to use the cometic, and consider it doing it right the first time! No point in waiting on a new HG that you have no eta on.

That being said, this new HG sounds promising, and a fantastic alternative to the options we have now!!

mk1spyder

Banned
Sep 11, 2005
Western NC
The block is brand new so I know im fine there, the head was brand new until my stupid as roomate put a nick in the sealing surface moving it, so I had it decked by the best shop I could find within a 100 miles and they didnt have a poly cutter. So needless to say its flat, but not that smooth, and I dont believe in lapping......so ya, id be nice to have this new headgasket.

IJ.

Grumpy Old Man
Mar 30, 2005
I come from a land down under
mk1spyder said:
The block is brand new so I know im fine there, the head was brand new until my stupid as roomate put a nick in the sealing surface moving it, so I had it decked by the best shop I could find within a 100 miles and they didnt have a poly cutter. So needless to say its flat, but not that smooth, and I dont believe in lapping......so ya, id be nice to have this new headgasket.

Nothing wrong with Lapping if it's done correctly and only as a finishing process to a flat true cut.

mk1spyder

Banned
Sep 11, 2005
Western NC
well see ive never actually seen a correct how-to on lapping....like complete from step 1 to whatever with pictures and a list of what you need. from what ive seen it's impossible to get it perfectly flat cause were humans.

Jaguar_5

It's ALIVE!
Feb 7, 2006
Seattle
Get a proper lapping tool, use some proper lapping paste (i used valve lapping compound, and it worked, but I'm sure some diamond paste would work better)

The weight of the lapper will be enough force, do a circle 8 on the deck surface, this will ensure even lapping, and a cross hatch pattern (not visible)

Take it slow, and be patient, 1 hour or more I'd say, when you check it (with your nail) it should feel like you're running your fingernail across a perfect sheet of glass

Duane taught me how :D

figgie

Supramania Contributor
Mar 30, 2005
Twin Cities, Minnesot-ah
Slow66 said:
SCE does make a great gasket (ive used them on SBCs), but id still be weary of a copper gasket on a daily driven-type car, sealant-embossed or not. Maybe its just the pics, but i dont see anything that goes 360* around the bore like a o-ring would. All i see it sealant around coolant passages. I'd love to see another option available for the 7m, but as for me personally, until i blow a cometic, i'm sticking with it. Take it FWIW.

I have to concour with the thought of copper and daily driving. Unless the lot of you are tearing your engines down after each and every single drive to inspect the Copper hg. You are asking for trouble. Copper is great for RACING as it is soft. Bad part is the measily 1200 degree melting point before it starts to go south on you (one of the MANY specific reason drag block go through a tear down to replace what is left of the HG!!)

as for the supra block

folks the 7M is not a tiny v6 or v8 length wise. You are talking an inline 6 which with an overheat requires machining, regardless of the latest miracle cure of the day!!!! I don't care if the HG is made out off the most soft metal that can cover .1 inches of warpages. When these blocks warp. they WARP.

mk1spyder

Banned
Sep 11, 2005
Western NC
Ok but how do you clean all the diamond paste crap out of every single coolant passage, oil passage, and bolt hole? Or keep it from getting in there in the first place

Status
Not open for further replies.