New Headgasket Opportunity

Status
Not open for further replies.

ma71supraturbo

Supramania Contributor
Mar 30, 2005
Redding, CA
www.geocities.com
It would be cool if it worked, but I highly doubt it. I've had five 7m heads off various blocks and ALL of them were pitted around the coolant passageways (head especially, but also block). There is no way that any of those engines were close to an 80RA...

Mrbaboon

Jul 13, 2006
Victoria, BC
Even still, if this gasket provided an alternate option to the regular MLS gaskets you wouldn't have to go to the lengths required in terms of prep work.

Ryan, the owner of SCE, claims the gasket will seal to the mating surface without machining to the level required for a MLS gasket..it just needs to be a generally smooth surface.

And I'd take that extra security any day since MLS gaskets have sealing problems if the RA isn't perfect.

Mrbaboon

Jul 13, 2006
Victoria, BC
We need to find a block and head to send to SCE.

If any generous supra junkies with a spare lying around feel like being awsome, Ryan of SCE has offered to pay shipping to get his hands on that block for the design of the gasket.

Let me know and we'll work it out with Ryan to get the R&D process going.

Mrbaboon

Jul 13, 2006
Victoria, BC
Umm... He'll ship it back to you once he is done with it. :icon_bigg

Edit:

PS. SCE is based out of Lancaster CA, so the closer you are to there, the better.

Doward

Banned
Jan 11, 2006
Alachua, FL
No kidding, where are our SoCal members? I've got a spare head here - and if it comes down to it, I'll yank the 7M from the '91 Cressida in the u-pull-it to send to them!

NashMan

WTF did he just wright ?
Aug 5, 2005
Victoria BC
the only thig i can think of that might makes this a bust si the spaceing between bor's so this sealf contained oil ring may be truble in les sit is joines kinda like beer can holder thing you know what a 6 pack comes in and such

cause thw spaceing is very close the water jackets as well

mabye they might be the frist cpomany to alow free flow coolent passges as well

the only company so far that doe sthis is greddy cause really there the best gasket but so hard to get hold of

ps copper is soft and will from to any thing thus why they have a oil ring type thing or ti just blow out

in away simple wise thign of this as stocker gasket but made of copper and have combusting rings that is about it

mobes

Supras are never 'done'
Apr 5, 2005
Bozeman, MT
I really hope this goes through. Not because I have a 7M or a BHG, but simply because someone is willing to develop a new MKIII product - that chance doesn't come around for us often enough in this community.

If it works as advertised, it will provide a simpler solution to one of the most common problems a 7M has. If not, the community hasn't lost anything.

Dec 3, 2003
Canada
tte said:
Notice that those SM owners with high hp 7ms like Duane and others did not jump onto the band wagon too soon. They all understand the importance of engine prep.

Reviews do not tell much. Most people do not take the time to write the reviews meaning alot of negative and even satisfied people did not write.Besides review from the net do not mean much. Most SM members buy stuff because of word of mouth from other SM members or see another SM member use that product.

Alot of supra forums on the net reccommend block and head prep, esp by the Supra forefathers and those who are very knowledgeble and have actual Supra race cars.

All this while we have been told that block n head prep is very important. Now a company says do away with that and they will provide the solution.

Who would most supra guys believe...our community with experts on our engines and have the horse power to prove it or a company who hasnt even touched a 7m?

To me, it does not matter if some expert has done amazing things for some other car. What matters is if he has done amazing stuff for Supras.

Let me give you an example.
I had to remachine my head and I looked around for good machine shops. I went in a few and asked them if they could do a hardness test on the head. They did not know what I was talking about and have never heard of it. And yet they built high performance engines. "1J"suggested that I do this first otherwise it would be a waste of money. I listened to 1J because he knows heck of alot bout our cars.Even my engineer friends know about this hardness test.

If that company proves us wrong, then its cool.
Untill then I think most Supra owners will remain skeptical.

Cheers,
Roy

I agree with you on many points and couldn't have said it any better myself. I did however put a portion of your post in red since that is a very important point. (at least to me)

I run an HKS Stopper and have never blown a gasket. 27PSI on my old set-up and over 30 + nitrous coming soon :D

Duane

Slow66

I think with my dipstick
Apr 3, 2005
Newington, CT
SCE does make a great gasket (ive used them on SBCs), but id still be weary of a copper gasket on a daily driven-type car, sealant-embossed or not. Maybe its just the pics, but i dont see anything that goes 360* around the bore like a o-ring would. All i see it sealant around coolant passages. I'd love to see another option available for the 7m, but as for me personally, until i blow a cometic, i'm sticking with it. Take it FWIW.

tig321

Mar 13, 2006
Edmonton/Victoria
Slow66 said:
SCE does make a great gasket (ive used them on SBCs), but id still be weary of a copper gasket on a daily driven-type car, sealant-embossed or not. Maybe its just the pics, but i dont see anything that goes 360* around the bore like a o-ring would. All i see it sealant around coolant passages. I'd love to see another option available for the 7m, but as for me personally, until i blow a cometic, i'm sticking with it. Take it FWIW.

This is the style gasket he is talking about.http://www.scegaskets.com/products/ics.html
If you scroll down you can see that the sealing is done with a wire ring set in the middle of the gasket around the bore. Kinda like an integrated O-ring.
What is FWIW?

Slow66

I think with my dipstick
Apr 3, 2005
Newington, CT
tig321 said:
This is the style gasket he is talking about.http://www.scegaskets.com/products/ics.html
If you scroll down you can see that the sealing is done with a wire ring set in the middle of the gasket around the bore. Kinda like an integrated O-ring.
What is FWIW?

Ahhh...now i see it...the other links went to the "titan self sealing"...

It looks intriguing, but im not fixing what aint broke....if i blow a cometic at 40+ psi, I'll consider giving one of these a try, assuming they're produced.

derK

Mar 31, 2005
CANADA
so basically this gasket will be as effective as the MHG, but also more leniant towards block and head smoothness???

so if i take my 3 year old, 40 000km engine and slap this gasket on i can run a lot more boost and not worry about a HG for a while??

If so, i'm game for sure.

supra87t/t4

Phase Two
Apr 9, 2005
MPLS, MN
What's with the "if it hasn't been done before it's not any good" mentality? Nobody should ever try to do somthing that hasn't been done before, something new and different? What makes this engine so special that a product that works well on another engine won't work for us? Good thing you guys weren't around back when the MLS gaskets became the popular upgrade, we'd all still be using stock gaskets. I think these things look great, no machining sounds like a stretch, but if you could get away with just machining the head and not the block, that would be huge. That's the big drawback to the MLS gaskets, it's damn expensive to tear the engine completely down so that the block can be decked. The sealing of an MLS gasket with the prep of a stock gasket would be a dream come true.

Hopefully the tight bore spacing on the 7M isn't a showstopper, perhaps you could call them with that info and see what they say before anyone goes to the trouble of sending a block and head.

Status
Not open for further replies.