New Headgasket Opportunity

Status
Not open for further replies.

Mrbaboon

Jul 13, 2006
Victoria, BC
I have just been on the phone with a company called SCE Gaskets. After some research, these guys put out a head gasket capable of reliably taking 30+ PSI with an 80 RA on the mating surfaces.

The owner, who I have just spoken to, is 100% willing to develop an ICS Titan Self Sealing gasket for our motors..And then pull a 25% discount for the first group of orders. All he needs is a head/block with decent mating surfaces to take as a reference. He will even pay to have a block/head shipped to him.

FOR THE LAZY PEOPLE:

Do you want huge boost without machining work?

Let me know what you think.

Enraged

A HG job took HOW long??
Mar 30, 2005
Victoria, BC, Canada
ballpark price?

after talking with alex (mrbaboon), he mentioned a block off a fast mill has an RA of 55-65, and an HKS-type HG required an RA of 15-25.... so it almost sounds like with an ICS Titan HG, you could just give the head and block a good cleaning, as long as the blown HG isnt really bad...

(experts: feel free to correct me if im wrong)

Last edited:

Mrbaboon

Jul 13, 2006
Victoria, BC
Well 20 years is better than never!

A head gasket where you have the ability to pop off the head, clean it up and drop the gasket on....and then run massive boost.

Pricing was 200~ for stock thickness (1.37mm) and around 300 for a 2mm thickness. These prices are without the 25% discount that he would offer for an order of 5 or 6 gaskets.

Taking it all into consideration with the prep work required for a HKS Stopper, and then the gasket itself, money would be saved.

Looking around, there are some rally cars out there runnings these with 50+ psi. woo.

Mrbaboon

Jul 13, 2006
Victoria, BC
Just got off the phone with SCE.

This gasket does not require you to o-ring the block.

The gaskets built in o-ring has just been patented by SCE...and is mainly the reason that they can stand up to the kind of punishment thrown at them.

jdub

Official SM Expert: Motor Oil, Lubricants & Fil
SM Expert
Feb 10, 2006
Valley of the Sun
This is interesting...in the past, copper gaskets required an O-ring around the cylinders. If SCE has figured out a way around that, a copper gasket would be awesome since it is a single layer of metal vs the multilayer steel you see on the current MHG's.

Mrbaboon

Jul 13, 2006
Victoria, BC
jdub said:
This is interesting...in the past, copper gaskets required an O-ring around the cylinders. If SCE has figured out a way around that, a copper gasket would be awesome since it is a single layer of metal vs the multilayer steel you see on the current MHG's.

Exactly.

And after hearing how willing this company is to go through with this, I think this gasket would become the premiere choice over the other manufacturers since no lapping would have to be performed in order to seal the gasket properly.

ChadMKIII

Yup, Thats The G/F
Jul 14, 2006
Bay Area, Ca
Wow!!! How fast can these be done?

My car is in for rebuild right now, if there could be one in the next week or two I'd buy it almost 100% guarantee. Any idea on timing? Warranty? That would be the big thing holding me back: brand new developed product would HAVE to have a GREAT warranty for me to buy.

spinningheadboy

Ich bin gegan alles
Apr 1, 2005
idaho
This would be a great "before it blows" upgrade once built and tested. This guy is in for some serious sales interest if it's the real deal.:icon_bigg

cwd

Mrbaboon

Jul 13, 2006
Victoria, BC
The drawback:

Design time was roughly 2 months I believe.

But if this can get pushed through I wont bother buying a MHG for the rebuilding I'm doing now and I'll just use a stocker HG again.

Ryan (the owner of SCE) seemed to stand firmly behind his product and was VERY willing to start producing these for the supra community. If we can organize to get one of you US guys to ship him a block/head we can get the ball rolling on this endeavor.

I know it'll be taking a plunge to get this started but I think it will be well worth it for everyone in the long run, especially if this makes MLS head gaskets extinct.

If you have a spare block and head with decent mating surfaces PM me and we can talk with SCE and try to get something organized asap.

Status
Not open for further replies.