New Headgasket Opportunity

Status
Not open for further replies.

Mrbaboon

Jul 13, 2006
Victoria, BC
I just pm'd Aaron. This company is based out of Lancaster in Northern LA County.

So a socal member would be perfect to send a block in, and I know we don't lack members in SoCal.

tookwik4u89

Red T-shirt
Apr 6, 2005
Rockford, IL
I'm interested to see if they can make that work, the tough part is the lack of material between cylinders, especially if it's bored out. I have still been using the same SCE exhaust manifold gasket on mine for years, and it's been off 4 times and reused, still seals great. I clean it up and copper spray it.

suprastanger507mgte

2x88+2x89+1x91+2x92=ME
Apr 5, 2005
Hayward , Ca
Actually, when I purchased my jdm 7mgte long block once, I opened it up to replace the head gasket with a metal one. I actually found a Cusco Copper Head Gasket on it which I reused and never had any problems . So they were made at one time.

As for the new product , it would be great to have something does not require major head resurfacing, especially for guys doing the work themselves and are presssed for time etc.
It would be a great product to add to the list. Nice work.

Mrbaboon

Jul 13, 2006
Victoria, BC
I'll wait on the reply from Aaron at driftmotion, and if he turns up nothing then I'll look into having a different block and head shipped to them.

There appears to be enough support behind a head gasket like the one in the topic for me to pursue getting these manufactured!

CRE

7M-GE + MAFT Pro + T = :D
Oct 24, 2005
Denver, CO
If these live up to their claims about being forgiving as hell, I'll definitely be picking one up in the next few months.

tte

Breaking In - in progress
Mar 30, 2005
Northern California
Yes, this product would be great if it works well for the 7m reliably.

Remember HKS, Greddy and other gasket makers spend lots of time with R&D and experimentation. I think a new product like this should go through a lot of testing because replacing a head gasket is alot of money and time.

I hope this works out.

For me, I am big believer in taking the extra step. I prefer to prep the block and head as best as i can. I am sure F1 cars and world rally cars prep their block n head really well...

Just my $0.02.

Cheers,
Roy

CRE

Oct 24, 2005
Denver, CO
These guys aren't new to the game. While they are new to the 7M, I'm sure they've spent more than enough on R&D to have a damned good idea what they're doing. Although the only way we'll know for sure is if we can get our hands on one. They do seem to be a fairly popular choice for other vehicles.

I searched Google, but had a hard time coming up with any negative reviews... actually, the ONLY negative review I found was one person not recommending their intake manifold gasket for a GM. Perhaps someone else here will be able to find more info.

Here's the product page for the Titan HG:
http://www.scegaskets.com/products/titan.html

If it help any (I doubt it) there are thre pics of Titan HG's here:
http://www.scegaskets.com/web-gallery/pages/26.html

Facime

Leather work expert
Jun 1, 2006
Corvallis OR
I'd definately test one! Pressures like a MHG with the block prep of an OEM? Who wouldnt want one?

I remain skeptical until its been tested on a 7M, but certainly osounds promising

tte

Mar 30, 2005
Northern California
Notice that those SM owners with high hp 7ms like Duane and others did not jump onto the band wagon too soon. They all understand the importance of engine prep.

Reviews do not tell much. Most people do not take the time to write the reviews meaning alot of negative and even satisfied people did not write.Besides review from the net do not mean much. Most SM members buy stuff because of word of mouth from other SM members or see another SM member use that product.

Alot of supra forums on the net reccommend block and head prep, esp by the Supra forefathers and those who are very knowledgeble and have actual Supra race cars.

All this while we have been told that block n head prep is very important. Now a company says do away with that and they will provide the solution.

Who would most supra guys believe...our community with experts on our engines and have the horse power to prove it or a company who hasnt even touched a 7m?

To me, it does not matter if some expert has done amazing things for some other car. What matters is if he has done amazing stuff for Supras.

Let me give you an example.
I had to remachine my head and I looked around for good machine shops. I went in a few and asked them if they could do a hardness test on the head. They did not know what I was talking about and have never heard of it. And yet they built high performance engines. "1J"suggested that I do this first otherwise it would be a waste of money. I listened to 1J because he knows heck of alot bout our cars.Even my engineer friends know about this hardness test.

If that company proves us wrong, then its cool.
Untill then I think most Supra owners will remain skeptical.

Cheers,
Roy

Last edited:

Mrbaboon

Jul 13, 2006
Victoria, BC
The reason for less prep is simple.

This is a copper gasket. Not multi layer steel. Copper is much more ductile and forms to the not-quite-as-smooth-but-still-smooth surface.(<---correct me if I'm wrong on that one) Not only that but this gasket has a self contained o-ring, which goes a long way towards how much power it can handle.

But non of us will know for sure until we get a batch of them made and tested. Hell even I am a little skeptical as to whether this will turn out well or not, but we wont know if we don't try.

And just because it doesn't require as much surface prep doesn't mean you can't do prep anyway. Prep is only really required for the MLS gaskets due to how hard the gasket itself is since an MLS gasket can't form to imperfections in the mating surface.

CRE

Oct 24, 2005
Denver, CO
I agree with Roy, head and block prep is extremely important. Especially on engines as old as ours. I really don't think it's possible to get away from that requirement.

So, while I'm interested, I do have my reservations. However, I think I've got a good setup to try one out on. My head is flawless, RA around 25. I'm just uncertain about my block's deck... it's a mirror, but I need to get it verified that it's completely level.

As for online reviews, people who are satisfied don't often post useful info,if they post at all... BUT, people who are dissatisfied ADVERTISE. You just can't get them to shut up. Taking any online reviews with a grain of salt is always in order. So, while the number of positive reviews I see for a product rarely factors into my decision, the number of complaints does.

And BTW - From what I've seen in yards and in posts on the various forums, the factory block prep doesn't look close to an RA of 80. I'm no expert on the matter, but if it still catches my fingernail it's barely smooth enough for a composite HG, much less this one.

ross1

Jul 14, 2005
va
tte said:
Notice that those SM owners with high hp 7ms like Duane and others did not jump onto the band wagon too soon. They all understand the importance of engine prep.

Reviews do not tell much. Most people do not take the time to write the reviews meaning alot of negative and even satisfied people did not write.Besides review from the net do not mean much. Most SM members buy stuff because of word of mouth from other SM members or see another SM member use that product.

Alot of supra forums on the net reccommend block and head prep, esp by the Supra forefathers and those who are very knowledgeble and have actual Supra race cars.

All this while we have been told that block n head prep is very important. Now a company says do away with that and they will provide the solution.

Who would most supra guys believe...our community with experts on our engines and have the horse power to prove it or a company who hasnt even touched a 7m?

To me, it does not matter if some expert has done amazing things for some other car. What matters is if he has done amazing stuff for Supras.

Let me give you an example.
I had to remachine my head and I looked around for good machine shops. I went in a few and asked them if they could do a hardness test on the head. They did not know what I was talking about and have never heard of it. And yet they built high performance engines. "IJ"suggested I do this first otherwise it would be a waste of money. I listened to IJ because he knows heck of alot bout our cars.Even my engineer friends know about this hardness test.

If that company proves us wrong, then its cool.
Untill then I think most Supra owners will remain skeptical.

Cheers,
Roy

whether here or not his name is still Ij not 1j... glad sf still gets your presence and hope someday you'll come back "home" until then.... please remember IJ the way he should be, and btw i'd like to get my hands on one of these to test as i'll be rebuilding this summer...

thanx,
ross

tte

Mar 30, 2005
Northern California
Its good that you are trying to help.
Just do research and do not believe everything that company tells you.
That is until they prove it works with our cars.

There are alot of experienced guys here you could talk to and they would probably give you a idea of what questions to ask the company. The finer details...

Like my boss always says "Its all in the details"...

Cheers,
Roy

Mrbaboon

Jul 13, 2006
Victoria, BC
We won;t know they can make a successful gasket for the 7m until someone has officially tried the finished product.

However, there are 3 or 4 people in my town currently running these gaskets on their motors and they seem to work great! SCE currently makes one of these gaskets for the 2jz, maybe we can find someone who is currently using one on their 2j.

tig321

Mar 13, 2006
Edmonton/Victoria
If it works on other bi-metal engines theres no reason it won't work on a 7m. I'm not sure how long these have been around, but the machine shop that did my head showed me the titan sce back in november. It's likely been working for many people for a while now, I personally hope this works out. I can't wait to get my hands on one.

I'm sure the point of the thread was not to find a way to avoid proper machining and HG prep, but to get people interested in a new (patented) copper HG with great potential.

Status
Not open for further replies.