Mystery solved... now the trauma begins

TheBlueSupra

Nov 16, 2011
Idaho
So I found my mysterious coolant leak, my heater core is shot. Started getting drips and coolant steam in my air vents:: angry ::. So now I get to tear into my dash :3d_frown:. Honestly not looking forwards to this, everything I've read says it's gonna be a long endeavor. Why couldn't this happen in the summer?!?!?!

GrimJack

Administrator
Dec 31, 1969
Richmond, BC, Canada
idriders.com
While it's a pain in the rump, it's not *that* difficult, as long as a buddy or two comes by to help lift out the dash itself. If your carpet is in shitty shape, consider pulling it out and cleaning / replacing it at the same time. If you have a targa, take the roof off, and for sure pull the front seats, it gives you SO MUCH more room to work.

If you can live without the heat, you could bypass the heater core in the engine bay until you are ready to tackle the job. Kind of McGuyverish, but it can get the job done, especially if you're away from your tools / garage.

ForcedTorque

Join the 92 Owners Group
Jul 11, 2005
Satsuma, Alabama, United States
I can pull a dash in under 20 minutes. It's not hard if you know which bolts to pull. Or, you can stare up into there for hours and wonder if each nut/bolt needs to come out. I think there is a thread around here with directions. After the cluster and center pice are removed, there are only 8 more bolts.

Removing the front seats are the best advise you can get.

Supracentral

Mar 30, 2005
Follow the directions in the TSRM.

Instructions start on page BO-51 -- it's actually pretty easy, just as mentioned, just a time consuming pain in the ass:

http://www.supracentral.com/foundation/tsrm/body/

BO_051.gif

BO_052.gif

BO_053.gif

BO_054.gif

BO_055.gif

BO_056.gif

BO_057.gif

TheBlueSupra

Nov 16, 2011
Idaho
Hey thanks for all the tips everybody! Carpets not bad just a few drips. The fluid coming out is real cloudy though so I have a feeling the PO stop leaked it :( I have a spare core that came with the car, so that makes me sure that it's had this issue before, With 170,000 on most of the car who knows whats gone on :3d_frown: Tools and such I have, don't know how quickly I can get to it though. Fortunately, I can drive my old rig, an 88 4runner, that my family has. Again thanks for all the tips and ideas! you guys rock

TheBlueSupra

Nov 16, 2011
Idaho
Yeah I bet a mk4 would be allot tougher to do. I like your sig, we have a bunch... no make that almost hundreds of non turbo hondas, subarus and mitsubishis up here who think they are hot stuff with their fart cans and cut springs.:3d_frown: I may only be NA myself but it's still easy to eat them alive:evil2: