My restoration project - Rusty 89

adampecush

Regular Supramaniac
May 11, 2006
Edmonton
Went out to street tune the car tonight. At the end of the first run, we blew off the coolant line that runs between the back of the head and the heater control valve (it may not have been tightened down that well...another reason not to use worm clamps). Now my formerly clean engine bay is covered in a nice thin layer of toyota red. We made quite the smokeshow too...unfortunately, I didn't get any of it in the video. If not for the rear hood seal, things could have got ugly bringing the car down from 3rd gear redline...

By the way, yes, I'm using video as my datalogging system. Perfect, no. Effective, yes.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=F3hOpyDfolU

adampecush

Regular Supramaniac
May 11, 2006
Edmonton
cock SUCKER

my heater core that I beleived to be in good condition sprung a leak (well, probably leaked from the beginning as I just hooked up the vac line to the control valve).

There is a slight chance that it is just the o-rings (as, like an idiot, I re-used old ones), but we'll see what happens after new o-rings and a pressure test. Otherwise, $300 for a minature radiator it is. Either way, this gives me a chance to put adhesive foam at every contact point on the dash to stop the rattling caused by our abhorent roads.

So, uh...anybody know a good way to get coolant out of carpet?

jshuman

May 6, 2009
Vienna, West Virginia
Wow. What an awesome restoration!! This further motivates me as I just started my first mkiii rebuild. Also, reading this thread from start to finish just got me through my 4 hour managerial finance class lol, so thanks for that. Cant wait to watch the videos when I can have the volume on haha.

Anyways, great work and awesome car!

adampecush

Regular Supramaniac
May 11, 2006
Edmonton
Well, I tore the car apart today.

All I can say is fuck. I dropped a ton of coolant - it soaked the carpet pad all the way to the rear of the passenger side of the car...this meant removing the seat and the carpet padding in addition to the dash and everything within.

As far as the o-ring theory went from a couple posts back, they were perfectly fine. Pressure test revealed a massive split down the centre of the core. This was the core from my parts car that seemed to be in good condition when I installed it (no evidence leakage into the tray, etc). Grabbed the old core (which, due to its dirty tray, I assumed was leaking) and pressure tested it to 20 psi....turns out that it was perfectly fine. That, and it had apparently been rebuilt by a local shop.

Lesson learned...always pressure test before installation.

enjoi.this

Formerly ChrisC
Aug 18, 2008
Kelowna, BC
adampecush;1399169 said:
cock SUCKER

my heater core that I beleived to be in good condition sprung a leak (well, probably leaked from the beginning as I just hooked up the vac line to the control valve).

There is a slight chance that it is just the o-rings (as, like an idiot, I re-used old ones), but we'll see what happens after new o-rings and a pressure test. Otherwise, $300 for a minature radiator it is.

Thats shitty man, after having that happen after all the work. Then getting to redo it again. You can probly get a heater core cheaper then $300 since I only paid $150 tax's in for my new one locally. Look around a bit, could save you some $$.

Turbo Habanero

Apr 28, 2009
Tucson,AZ
adampecush;1369902 said:
Finally, a video.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Coq8zGmMkkI

Changed the ISC valve and now the car idles perfectly smooth and constant at around 750 RPM.

Just a note, the startup oil pressure was 50 psi...when the car got up to temperature, pressure dropped to 8 psi (which I'm fine with).

Took the car off the jackstands, and I'm pretty impressed with how it sits. Tire-to-wheel well gap is about 1", which should be good for our beaten roads.
View attachment 30234

nice job long time coming

adampecush

Regular Supramaniac
May 11, 2006
Edmonton
So I've been driving the car around for the last couple of weeks on a relatively rough tune at a maximum boost of about 11 psi. The engine is extremely smooth - much smoother at idle than my 02 maxima. With my current setup, I see positive pressure under 2k, and I hit 11 psi slightly after 3k, which is a significant improvement over my old ic/piping/exhaust setup. The driveline however, is not quite where I want it to be. Shifting the rebuilt transmission is still a relatively slow affair, however, it has loosened up quite a bit in the last 1000 kms. The rear end is fairly quiet while running, but clunks pretty badly when letting the clutch out. Hopefully with some more miles on the clutch this will be taken care of.

The throttle body...well thats another story. I'm still waiting on getting a new bellcrank machined to hopefully make it a little more civil at low speed.

And now for the ecu. The lexus afm/550cc/q45 throttle body combo absolutely does not play well with the factory ecu. Monitoring VF, RPM, throttle position and AFR, I can see a lot of bad things happening. Light-moderate throttle boosting results in more load than the the TPS indicates, and as a result, the TCCS is forcing a lean condition going into boost (14.5-15.0 AFR at 2500 rpm and ~5 psi). Once enough air gets past the AFM, closed loop takes over, but due to the size of the TB, the car is in boost quite a bit. For some reason, VF at idle is 5V, indicating a lean condition. My fuel pressure is already quite high, and I have no significant boost leaks that would cause this. I have a feeling this might be related to the stock o2 sensor, but at all other times, AFR seems ok. I'm also pulling ~22Hz past the AFM at idle (750 rpm) which seems about right. I've come to the conclusion that I'm not going to push the lex/550 setup at all - Since winter is coming (and the car will be stored for the season), I'm waiting on the AEM V2 ECU before attempting to make any serious power. On the plus side, I've seen no real knock running 94 octane.

For what its worth, I'm willing to bet the car still has over 300 whp in its current state...spinning the 275s over 5000 rpm in first isn't that difficult. Hopefully I can hit up a dyno before the season ends and confirm that number.

I'll post some current pictures when I get a chance.

DeSloth

Jun 24, 2007
Australia
Enjoying reading this mate, keep the updates coming.

Sorry to hear about the heater core, but at least you fixed it right.

Amazing car. Will keep checking for pictures

mobes

Supras are never 'done'
Apr 5, 2005
Bozeman, MT
Car looks great.

Just curious, why did you go with the Q45 TB? Seems like it's causing you lots of grief.

adampecush

Regular Supramaniac
May 11, 2006
Edmonton
here is the car on the last day of driving before storing it for the winter.
p1438949_1.jpg

I also finally got the throttle lever made - only a week too late. Here it is.
p1438949_2.jpg

aaron_arthur

Jul 30, 2008
London
All I can say is WOW! Amazing build. I can say im very jealous of the adapter flange and FFIM set up. I am currently trying to figure out something like that which gives the stock look but more efficient. Very well done.

Aaron