My restoration project - Rusty 89

adampecush

Regular Supramaniac
May 11, 2006
Edmonton
a fair amount of blood as well...

looks like the idle surging might be due to the mk4 isc valve...back to the mk3 valve.

mk3forme

Apr 5, 2005
Lexington KY
adampecush;1367935 said:
a fair amount of blood as well...

looks like the idle surging might be due to the mk4 isc valve...back to the mk3 valve.

Great news! I was going to recommmed you check the ISC. I had the same problem after my rebuild and that was the culprit. Was there a reason you used an MK4 valve?

adampecush

Regular Supramaniac
May 11, 2006
Edmonton
mk3forme;1368300 said:
Great news! I was going to recommmed you check the ISC. I had the same problem after my rebuild and that was the culprit. Was there a reason you used an MK4 valve?

it was a much cleaner install on the manifold than the mk3 valve....and the specs "looked" the same as per the TSRMs. I looked closer yesterday and there were a few differences. Oh well, shit happens.

adampecush

Regular Supramaniac
May 11, 2006
Edmonton
Finally, a video.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Coq8zGmMkkI

Changed the ISC valve and now the car idles perfectly smooth and constant at around 750 RPM.

Just a note, the startup oil pressure was 50 psi...when the car got up to temperature, pressure dropped to 8 psi (which I'm fine with).

Took the car off the jackstands, and I'm pretty impressed with how it sits. Tire-to-wheel well gap is about 1", which should be good for our beaten roads.
P1020967.JPG

zambini

Jan 16, 2008
Detroit, MI
to the elite engine bay picture thread with this!!

awesome man. i love those wheels on just about any car, but bronze on white= :drool:

enjoi.this

Formerly ChrisC
Aug 18, 2008
Kelowna, BC
You are a brave one for digging into a rusty supra and having something turn out this beautiful! cant wait to see some more pics/vids :)

adampecush

Regular Supramaniac
May 11, 2006
Edmonton
Took the car for a quick (well...slow) spin tonight.

It ran about how I expected, like shit.

I'm having some horrible low-speed (off-idle) bucking and an extremely touchy throttle, which tells me I probably need to re-adjust my TPS, and possibly adjust it out of the factory spec range to account for the q45 TB.

Once the car is warm, it idles like absolute shit. (Idles fine prior to driving though). Wideband shows a fully lean (>16) condition. I'm going to have to figure out what is the culprit here - I have a suspicion it could be the 02 sensor, but I need to verify the system is free of air leaks as well.

Clutch pedal needs adjustment...bad.

Slight tapping coming from the upper exhaust side of the engine at idle - sounds like a valve adjustment might be in order.

adampecush

Regular Supramaniac
May 11, 2006
Edmonton
Took the car for another drive last night.

the idle seems to have richened up - looks like I had to give the ECU some learning time. adjusted the TPS down to 0.4 mm, and the bucking problem improved, though its not completely gone...I'm going to try 0.3 mm and see how things go.

Broke in the brakes, but with my current lack of alignment, things got a bit hairy. God damn the car stops hard. Car is going in for alignment later this week.

Found out the car was hitting fuel cut due to the WG arm hitting the turbo support stay, fixed it and now the car is running ~11.5 psi off the WG.

Car is idling at 19 in Hg when warm, 17 cold.
AFR is ~10.3:1 in boost - going to have to deal with this next, but it shouldn't be too difficult.

stick around for more pictures and videos when I finish assembling the interior.

adampecush

Regular Supramaniac
May 11, 2006
Edmonton
Got the bitch aligned yesterday...here are the results:

fr caster left - 7.1 deg
fr caster right - 7.1 deg
fr camber left - -0.9 deg
fr camber right - -1.2 deg
fr toe - 1/16" both
rr camber left - -2.6 deg
rr camber right - -1.5 deg
rr toe - 1/16" both

Numbers don't look that bad, but it seems that some adjustable camber arms are in my future.

On a separate topic, it turns out that it is possible to install your windshield wiper motor backwards. Fuck.