My 1991 Jay Blue Supra

gtsfirefighter

SM Expert on White trash
Sep 26, 2006
Weatherford, Texas, United States
Poodles;1174445 said:
Um... I hope you loosened the crank bolt...

Knew I'd forget to tell you something

No, there's no need for it to come off. I did pull the plug on the side of the block though!

noah89t;1174778 said:
ken, did you have a charged a/c system before you pulled the motor? cause you didn't have to pull the a/c lines off the compressor and leak the system.

good luck with the build.

Yes I did. I completely loosened 3 of the 4 bolts holding the compressor on. The 4th one partially stripped and there was no way I going to be able to get a pair of vice grips in there. I was very pissed and just said "fuck it" and unbolted the manifolds. I'll just do whatever I have to do to get it fixed if it means replacing the drier. It's r134a so I don't see this being a major expense.

This is not a rebuild. Not enough time and no money. Just getting a headgasket and rear main seal along with a very good cleaning.

gtsfirefighter

SM Expert on White trash
Sep 26, 2006
Today I got the head off. Most of the head bolts were scary loose. I think only the number 9 bolt was hard to break.

The headgasket pretty much fell apart when I pulled the head off. It was definitely blown. I don't how the car ran so well. Ok, here's some pics.

p1175836_1.jpg

p1175836_2.jpg

p1175836_3.jpg

p1175836_4.jpg

p1175836_5.jpg

Bluechulappa

Jun 16, 2007
hOUSTON
www.houstonareasupras.com
Jeez thats some nasty looking HG Looks like I see 3 places blown lol.

I cleaned my block with carb spray and light bristle brush. I used a plastic paint scrapper to take off any large spots of gunk. Just don't scratch the surface of the block. Get it as clean as you can and I cleaned the cylinder walls and piston heads. The carb spray does pretty good job of eating carbon deposites. You can also spay some on it and let it sit for awhile.

JDMMA70

Dec 4, 2006
Houston
Bluechulappa;1175858 said:
Jeez thats some nasty looking HG Looks like I see 3 places blown lol.

I cleaned my block with carb spray and light bristle brush. I used a plastic paint scrapper to take off any large spots of gunk. Just don't scratch the surface of the block. Get it as clean as you can and I cleaned the cylinder walls and piston heads. The carb spray does pretty good job of eating carbon deposites. You can also spay some on it and let it sit for awhile.

+1 i did the same method although my HG wasnt blown so cleaning the block was easy for me.

gtsfirefighter

SM Expert on White trash
Sep 26, 2006
Today I took the head into the machine shop. Not feeling very confident about it. Some of the valves had enormous amounts of some kind of build up on them. White crusty shit. They are going to pressure test it and resurface it. I really don't have the money to do a rebuild on it.

So after dropping off the head, I went back to the house and started cleaning things like the lower intake, the hard coolant pipe that wraps around the block, the tranny wing brackets, valve covers. I also took a gasket scraper and started cleaning the deck. There was a lot of carbon build up on top of the block where the fire rings had shifted. I also found a pretty big pitting area but it should no affect anything as it's by one of the water jackets.

It started to pour down rain and lightning while I was there. Then it started flooding. Water began gushing off the hill in the back yard and down under the car. I left a lot of bolts under the car from undoing the tranny mount and such. I fear they are washed on down the driveway never to be found again. Soooo I may need to find some bolts. :3d_frown:

Another kick in the ass is that the fan clutch is bolted down so fucking tight that I cannot get it off the water pump. I doesn't help that the corners of the four nuts have already been partially stripped. So I'm going to just buy another waterpump. I've also got another pump pulley and will just need some studs. I've already put the 10 blade fan onto another pulley.

Picture of water gushing under car washing away my bolts. Yes the transmission is outside. I literally have no room in the garage for it.
p1176725_1.jpg

And here's the block after scraping and goo gone. I still have some more cleaning to do on it to meet my satisfaction.
p1176725_2.jpg

Last edited:

YotaRob

U.S.Navy
Jun 18, 2008
Great Lakes
Yup, must be further west than me as I didn't get it till afterdark. Got rid of the messy spot under the car though huh?
The block looks good and the cylinders look good. I use 3m scourpads to clean block surfaces along with plenty of brake cleaner or carb cleaner.

Poodles

I play with fire
Jul 22, 2006
Fort Worth, TX
The buildup on the valves is normal, especially with an older couple that owned it and never reved it out to blow the carbon out of the engine...

Machine shop MIGHT take care of that for you, but if not it's not hard to take care of with solvent and work...

gtsfirefighter

SM Expert on White trash
Sep 26, 2006
YotaRob;1176897 said:
Yup, must be further west than me as I didn't get it till afterdark. Got rid of the messy spot under the car though huh?
The block looks good and the cylinders look good. I use 3m scourpads to clean block surfaces along with plenty of brake cleaner or carb cleaner.

I'm out in Parker County between Weatherford and Springtown.
Tomorrow I'll tackle it with some carb cleaner to get what's left off.

Poodles;1177236 said:
The buildup on the valves is normal, especially with an older couple that owned it and never reved it out to blow the carbon out of the engine...

Machine shop MIGHT take care of that for you, but if not it's not hard to take care of with solvent and work...

I hope they will clean it all up for me. It's at Accurate right off of White Settlement Rd. They machined a head for my grey 89 NA and I was happy with them. If not I'll tackle it and make it purty.

Poodles

I play with fire
Jul 22, 2006
Fort Worth, TX
If you get the steel bristle brush that goes in a drill with the bristles sticking out the end (looks like an old shaving cream brush) it makes short work of cleaning the valves...

suprahero

naughty by nature
Staff member
Aug 26, 2005
Roll Tide
Any machine shop worth their weight in salt will clean the valves up nice and purdy.......:icon_bigg

da89soup

World I Am Gay Blue!!!
Dec 2, 2005
Fargo ND
Hey Ken,

Yes I am back!! The new car looks great and god help you. The only thing a Jay Blue car will get you is a bunch of hillbilly jokes. All kidding aside, you could not buy a better car. The last Jay Blue car I rode in managed to make it from Texas to Alabama without any antifreeze or oil in the engine. I will be around again, if you need anything you know I am a PM away.

Later

suprahero

naughty by nature
Staff member
Aug 26, 2005
Roll Tide
I was told their was a gay blue sighting and I had to get on to witness it myself. It does my heart good to see my gay blue brethren on here once again.

Noah, my head is perfect, but my car still isn't wright.