Movies every gearhead needs to watch

Apr 1, 2005
WA
So what movies are essential, need to see, for gearheads?

I just saw Dust to Glory and it is definitely at the top of my list of best car movies. Whats at the top of your list?

[video=youtube;_B6N-jXoFvM]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_B6N-jXoFvM[/video]

rodel

SoCal
May 19, 2005
SoCal
My favorite car movie/documentary

[video=youtube;b7UHXEbZw3w]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=b7UHXEbZw3w[/video]

Jeff Lange

Administrator
Staff member
Mar 29, 2005
Sunnyvale, CA
jefflange.ca
max-89supra(t);1602528 said:
-worlds fastest indian (its a motorcycle movie though, but i thing most car guys would like it too)

I saw a small part of it, and it did interest me, so I rented and watched the entire thing. It was not good. Every time anything bad happened, somehow it just wasn't a problem. Felt very unrealistic, even though it was trying to portray a "true" story. I found reading information about Burt Munro much more interesting than the movie. Shame too, because Anthony Hopkins played the character well.

As for movies that I think gearheads need to watch, I definitely agree with Love the Beast. Added to that is definitely Grand Prix, the cinematography in John Frankenheimer's 3-hour masterpiece cannot be ignored.

Jeff

Zumtizzle

Can't Wait to Be King.
Oct 21, 2006
Sac-Town, NorCal
3006_042409.jpg

SupraMario

I think it was the google
Mar 30, 2005
The Farm
Really? No one has said Bullitt yet?
Steve McQueen and not a single person has said bullitt....I'm ashamed SM....

Kangae

Buzzin' Half Dozen
Sep 13, 2007
Utica, New York
I watched bullitt one time and realized why people only watch the chase on youtube, imo if you want Steve McQueen watch LeMans. I mean there isn't a lot of story but it shows some world class race cars from my favorite era of auto racing.

Grand Prix is great too, but I didn't like the exhaust pipe thing near the end, I saw it as kind of a cop out... (don't think that was that much of a spoiler was it?)

Anyone seen "Back From the Dead"? Its a super cheap walmart bargain bin documentary about rat rods that I thought was worth the few bucks I spent.

Also I believe Hot Rod magazine had like a top 25 or 50 or something car related movies, you might be able to find it on their website.

staehlin180

Mar 5, 2007
Sacramento, CA
Dust to glory is a good one, I was lucky enough to get to co-drive with a small team during the Baja 500 back in 2006, a real once in a lifetime experience. Another gearhead film I like is On Any Sunday. Watch it, and if you don't have a dirt bike, just try not to buy one after you see it

IJ.

Grumpy Old Man
Mar 30, 2005
I come from a land down under
Any Car movie and watch it as "entertainment", you need to be able to suspend disbelief or you're never going to enjoy movies as the reality of fast cars is usually 2>3 seconds of heart stopping excitement and hours/weeks/months/years of boring nothingness.... ;)

trucker

Feb 18, 2006
i'm bad, i'm nationwide
hey ian, im all about suspending belief, but im not a fucking mentalist...

i can easily imagine a bottle of vaseline intensive care as a couple of hot blondes....

but vin dipshit as a hard-core ricer thug? no damn way in hell