morganson's COP S-Type setup

ca91mkIII

May 23, 2012
Franklin
Supraguy- Yeah I have no way of seperating the sub harness from the main harness because there is no disconnect point.

I was afraid I would have to hack into the harness. I just really dont want to if someone knew of another solution. I'll take a plate as well. PM me your PayPal info.

satx88supra

Aug 16, 2009
San Antonio
Sooo not to add more work or thoughts. When Morganson first started this and was trying to fabricate on his own. I asked him about how he was going to secure it down. I poised the idea of using the threading hex bolt on the #3 valve cover. My idea was to source out and buy those hex bolts, remove #3 gasket and replace all hex bolts with the threaded bolt. Then on the plate have the holes centered as close as possible to the threaded hex bolts and use long threaded screws to secure it. That way there are four even points to secure plate down in the valley.

Sent from my LG Optimus G

morganson

Jan 19, 2012
Columbia, SC
Thats what has been done. Just with two instead of four. Most people are fabricating this on their own so i have relenquished the idea of selling a kit. Though if anyone wants a harness made i still have that.

lithium14

Jan 7, 2011
Austin
The dragonfire coils you listed at the beginning, are these the best we can get for this set up? and can you pm me or post a link to them, also whether they come with the plugs needed etc, if not where to get?

lithium14

Jan 7, 2011
Austin
Thanks for the links. The dragonfire listing was ended, but I found the one for single coils and made sure DG500 was listed in the reference parts numbers. Also contacted the seller of the plugs because they only had 2 in stock. Hopefully they reply and have more lol.

edit: I see they have another connector plug that has more in stock. The photo shows they are identical, and the description and part compatibility are identical as well, but the name differs. One is a stick and the other a pencil coil. Not sure what the difference is.

Last edited:

grimreaper

Jul 2, 2008
Dallas
Would it be worth it to you guys to have an ignitor with programmable dwell? Could make better use of these coils and possibly add drivers to fire them in waste spark but with one coil per driver, like the 2jz ignitor but with multiplexed input.

Will be testing the code for this for my own use but can have extra hardware made when that point comes..

morganson

Jan 19, 2012
Columbia, SC
grimreaper;1985097 said:
Would it be worth it to you guys to have an ignitor with programmable dwell? Could make better use of these coils and possibly add drivers to fire them in waste spark but with one coil per driver, like the 2jz ignitor but with multiplexed input.

Will be testing the code for this for my own use but can have extra hardware made when that point comes..

Yes...yes i think so.
This is exactly why i did this in the first place. I love this community.

AbsoluteSpeed

Aug 8, 2007
Edmonton AB
lithium14;1985093 said:
^yep thats the one! Glad i picked the right one lol and here are the links for the two connectors in question:

"pencil" coil: http://www.ebay.com/itm/Denso-Penci...pt=Race_Car_Parts&vxp=mtr&hash=item337d4287bf

"stick" coil: http://www.ebay.com/itm/221162630065?item=221162630065&viewitem&vxp=mtr

There are two different connectors for these coils. Only way to tell the difference is by looking at the pins inside the plug.
The pins will be closer together on one and slightly further apart on the other. At least, that is what they are like on my F150

satx88supra;1985140 said:
Grimreaper...can this be a solution or a test subject. I saw this mod when i first got my Supra but figured it was waaayy over my head. Seems to me it has some promise.

http://www.celicasupra.com/forums/s...moving-multiplex-from-7MGTE-for-less-than-200

This only works if you are running a aftermarket ecu. Good thinking though.

grimreaper

Jul 2, 2008
Dallas
satx88supra;1985140 said:
Grimreaper...can this be a solution or a test subject. I saw this mod when i first got my Supra but figured it was waaayy over my head. Seems to me it has some promise.

http://www.celicasupra.com/forums/s...moving-multiplex-from-7MGTE-for-less-than-200

Yes but its has to be taken a step further. The power stage or high current drivers can be setup in several ways. Using the DH61 is one option. The signals to control that ignitor are what the stock ecu lacks. Thats what Im working on. Hopefully will have the code running on a development board over the weekend. Then its pcb layout and prototypes for testing. Lots of details on getting the timing write. This opens the door to a large variety of coils, smart coils included. For simplicity sake, morgansons setup is easy to work with. Not to mention mounting appears to be worked out too.

Does that ignitor provide a tach output and IGF generation?

satx88supra

Aug 16, 2009
San Antonio
I found this pic

Here's a better version without the grey banner.

ypedutab.jpg

Attachments

• uploadfromtaptalk1389804576995.jpg
    uploadfromtaptalk1389804576995.jpg
    45.5 KB · Views: 5