morganson's COP S-Type setup

lithium14

Jan 7, 2011
Austin
Yeah, keep us posted. I'll be interested in this as well. I have an ignition problem and my stock coils are starting to go out...

nathaninwa

Jul 1, 2012
Aberdeen, WA
Got some pics. Are these coils meant to mount on top of the bracket or below? They fit great on top with the hold down bolt lining up great, but its just a little to small to tilt the coil in from the bottom side.

nathaninwa

Jul 1, 2012
Aberdeen, WA
Ill cut a bunch once the coil fits. I see from the first pics on page one that the coil mounts from underneath. Ill actually "borrow" the coil from the parts store and get them to fit from underneath.

supraguy@aol

Dec 30, 2005
Atlanta
People have been fitting it either way.
If it fits cleaner as a top mount, I say make some that way first.

PS- How thick is that sheet? It doesn't look to be 1/4".

lithium14

Jan 7, 2011
Austin
I prefer top mount. I wonder if Albert would be interested in helping us fab up these brackets. His work is amazing with the 1ZZ brackets.

nathaninwa

Jul 1, 2012
Aberdeen, WA
That bracket is only 1/8th. I can do thicker, I tght I had just mentioned that when I offered. How are these getting held down? Nut welded to the hex cap below?

I know I can do 3/16th with no issues and will just have to slow the cut speed down for 1/4 inch. Alum takes a lot of power and I only have a Hypertherm 45 amp machine.

If top mounted then this is slick. Ill grab some thicker material tomorrow and cut some out.

EDIT, Im shipping jdmfreaks LQ9 bracket tomorrow so Ill be able to get some shipping cost too.

morganson

Jan 19, 2012
Columbia, SC
The plate was designed to be held down with either thru bolts or studs between 2 and 3 and 4 and 5. My original was 1/4 it resisted flex due to uneven mounting. As far as the coils mine mounted under the bracket. Expand just the circle for the coil until cleared. The problem is usually at the 90 where the plug is. It just catches. If the coil is mounted on top it may hit the tb pipe. Obviously ffim have nothing to worry about.

nathaninwa

Jul 1, 2012
Aberdeen, WA
Gotcha, Ill grab a coil and some thicker material tomorrow and work the opening. Its so close that about 10 seconds with a diegrinder would fix it on each hole, but Ill mod the drawing just a little so that wont have to happen.

AbsoluteSpeed

Aug 8, 2007
Edmonton AB
nathaninwa;1984687 said:
Got some pics. Are these coils meant to mount on top of the bracket or below? They fit great on top with the hold down bolt lining up great, but its just a little to small to tilt the coil in from the bottom side.

http://i816.photobucket.com/albums/...loads/IMG_20140112_143207_941_zpsdf31070e.jpg

http://i816.photobucket.com/albums/...loads/IMG_20140112_143252_849_zps37441320.jpg

Dammit! I thought I allowed enough room for this. I figured out the geometry and accounted for the thickness of the material and everything.
I wonder if the coil itself is slightly bigger.

If you do use thicker material you will have to make to opening for the coil even bigger yet.
If you are using AutoCAD you can use 'offset' to make the coil outline bigger. But make sure the distance between the center of the coil and the coil's mounting hole does not change.

nathaninwa

Jul 1, 2012
Aberdeen, WA
I can, I have an offshoot of autocad from TorchMate, and the easiest thing I know to do is create a tool path around the outer edge, then noid edit the lead in and move the area around the plug back to where it was. So yes, I can maintain coil centerline.

ca91mkIII

May 23, 2012
Franklin
Just finished reading this entire thread. Holy crap what a design setup! Looks amazing and the knowledge on figuring this all out. Amazing Morganson!! I don't know if anyone else giving this a shot has an engine wiring harness from Tweakd Performance but Tweakd, among other PITA flaws in the harness, integrated the sub-harness for the coil packs into the main harness with no connector in between. Does anyone know of connectors that would fit into the female connector that connects to the coil on the stock setup or would I have to slice and dice my pricey new harness?

dlgatewaypaint.jpg

morganson

Jan 19, 2012
Columbia, SC
ca91mkIII;1984738 said:
Just finished reading this entire thread. Holy crap what a design setup! Looks amazing and the knowledge on figuring this all out. Amazing Morganson!! I don't know if anyone else giving this a shot has an engine wiring harness from Tweakd Performance but Tweakd, among other PITA flaws in the harness, integrated the sub-harness for the coil packs into the main harness with no connector in between. Does anyone know of connectors that would fit into the female connector that connects to the coil on the stock setup or would I have to slice and dice my pricey new harness?

View attachment 71388
it is impossible to find both parts of that connector without destroying something else. Driftmotion sells the female but not the male and unfortunatly it is keyed. So my recomendation is to pick up a square four weatherpack from your local parts store and reterminate both sides. Besides they are much cheaper than the factory parts.:p

hvyman

Dang Dude! No Way Man.
Staff member
Apr 17, 2007
Fullerton,CA
Could just cut the connector off the coil pack harness. Also might be the same as the cps connector.

supraguy@aol

Dec 30, 2005
Atlanta
So are you saying that your Tweak'd harness has the three coipack connectors built in? You'll HAVE to modify that, because there is no coil shaped plug that you can buy, to my knowledge. I would do as Hvyman say, and get the cps type plug, or extend the harness and use the DG500 connectors, for as few modifications as possible.

Last edited:

nathaninwa

Jul 1, 2012
Aberdeen, WA
OK, got it all to work with 1/4 material. With the new material cost, and the slower feedrate (which wears on the plasma tips) and the drilling now (holes taper and cant do a direct tap, but can use the hole as a drill guide) and tapping the holes Im at 26.00 per plate.

The kicker, the coils I got from the parts store have a radiused area by the hold down bolt and will need ground by hand with a diegrinder either by me or the end user for it to fit under the bracket. Im not sure what to charge for that mod. It will take me about 5 mins per plate to clearance and one full motor compressor recovery. 5 bucks?

Shipping to the east coast in a priority box is just under 12.00. What do you guys think?