morganson's COP S-Type setup

pete05

Nov 24, 2012
australia
Coil number 4 had to be rotated to the exhaust side 120 degrees to clear the inlet cross over pipe. The alloy plate is 3mm.

grimreaper

Jul 2, 2008
Dallas
Have you guys scoped these compared to the stock coils?
Inductors in series are added together, 1/2 the current per coil. Do you know the impedance and inductance of these coils?
Safer for the ignitor but im curious how much charge the coils are really getting.

Whats the dwell time that ford uses with these coils?

Nice setup though!

pete05

Nov 24, 2012
australia
Primary side is a higher resistance than the factory coils , that's my main concern with the igniter.
I don't know what sort of charge they are getting but the car definitely drives better than the stock coils. At 12 psi in second gear the car would blow black smoke from about 4 to 6k . Now no smoke and the car is smoother.

Sent from my SM-N9005 using Tapatalk

morganson

Jan 19, 2012
Columbia, SC
Never been scoped as most places have no clue what that is or even less how to use it and I don't gave access to one myself. However, these coils are rated at 45kv as opposed to toyotas 23kv. So the spark is significantly hotter than factory.
I have been running this setup since late october and haven't had any problem. Long or short drives, starts better and spools harder.

grimreaper

Jul 2, 2008
Dallas
I've never seen any hard data for the stock coils posted before. Guess anything a little less baked than the stock coils could be better.

I'm looking at picking up a secondary probe so stock coil output can be verified.

pete05

Nov 24, 2012
australia
We have a scope it work but I am not really sure how to use it for testing these.

Sent from my SM-N9005 using Tapatalk

morganson

Jan 19, 2012
Columbia, SC
Well the company finally sent me the quote for the plates. $6200 for 20! Soooo unless nobody has a problem with paying 300 for just the plate. We are going to need some more options.

kotu100

Nov 23, 2006
Easton, Ma
morganson;1975969 said:
Well the company finally sent me the quote for the plates. $6200 for 20! Soooo unless nobody has a problem with paying 300 for just the plate. We are going to need some more options.

Do you have a drawing of the center piece that you need? There are multiple machine shops around me with water jets so I could get some quotes to get some center plates made for u.

morganson

Jan 19, 2012
Columbia, SC
Don't have a drawing. The whole thing was done free hand. But I can send you a picture of the unit. I need to make another so I can have one to send off.

IndigoMKII

May 9, 2011
Madison, Virginia
morganson;1976029 said:
4140HT is what the estimate said. This was one sided i didnt get to choose anything or talk to anyone. Just emails.

lol.. Cute. They want to use a tool steel for a simple cover plate.

7075 or 6061 T6 aluminum would work fine. Not to mention a machine shop won't charge as much to machine 6061 as 4140 PHT. It's so much easier to machine so the machine time is less, cost is less.

AbsoluteSpeed

Aug 8, 2007
Edmonton AB
morganson;1975981 said:
Don't have a drawing. The whole thing was done free hand. But I can send you a picture of the unit. I need to make another so I can have one to send off.

If you take a few measurements I'd be happy to create a CAD file most shops could use for a CNC or water jet.

I would need you to fill in all the spots with the 3 stars.