Modified Knuckles interest

mattsplat72

is sofa king
Jan 17, 2006
Sedro Woolley, Washington, United States
So after a day at the track with Jayhall and another Supra owner. I was decided that we needed Modified Knuckles to increase steering angle. I talked to a friend who works along side Xecessive manufacturing about getting some made. I was informed that they would not be Re welded stock's, but new ones. I don't have a price .

What I am doing here is gathering information on Need,Desire and Concerns. This is in the very very very early stages and I am not even sure this will happen, but if I an generate enough interest I can take it to the powers that be and get them made.

I have 4 people interested and three committed to this. Lets get a discussion going on this.

Canuckrz

Jan 13, 2009
Calgary, Alberta
Kinda hard to gauge interest without even a perspective price range, better yet an idea of how many people the manufacturer needs to be committed in order to produce.

te72

Classifieds Moderator
Staff member
Mar 26, 2006
WHYoming
Not really my intended purpose for using my car, BUT... I'll play along as I know there are plenty out there who would probably like these. A few questions for you then...

-How much more angle are we talking here, degree-wise?
-Would this affect suspension geometry?
-What sort of money would be expected for these to cost, given that they are a limited market item?
-How much more angle can you expect to get without causing the inner lip of the wheel to rub on the sway bar and/or subframe?

Jayhall

WHIP THE PISS OUT OF THEM
May 7, 2005
Surrey BC
I like where your head is at Brad. And yes it can be tough to say yes or no without a price, but look no one is going to hold a gun to your head if you are interested in these and they turn out to be too much money. Like Matt said Im in on these. My car was a dream on the track, until I hit steering lock....

mattsplat72

is sofa king
Jan 17, 2006
Price isn't even a consideration at this point. As with every one off part price would most likely be determined by demand . This is more about establishing a demand. Is there a demand?

-How much more angle are we talking here, degree-wise?
-Would this affect suspension geometry?
-What sort of money would be expected for these to cost, given that they are a limited market item?
-How much more angle can you expect to get without causing the inner lip of the wheel to rub on the sway bar and/or subframe?

These are good questions and will be addressed if and when the Knuckles go into R&D. As I have stated this is a feeler thread to determine if there are enough people interested to even warrant the R&D it will take to get them " On the Shelf". This is NOT a group buy, or a for sale thread, and is in no means a discussion on pricing. Only to gauge how big of a need, if any there is to fill.

Remember that getting more angle isn't just for drifting,it is also beneficial in road racing.

te72

Classifieds Moderator
Staff member
Mar 26, 2006
WHYoming
mattsplat72;1887462 said:
These are good questions and will be addressed if and when the Knuckles go into R&D. As I have stated this is a feeler thread to determine if there are enough people interested to even warrant the R&D it will take to get them " On the Shelf". This is NOT a group buy, or a for sale thread, and is in no means a discussion on pricing. Only to gauge how big of a need, if any there is to fill.

Remember that getting more angle isn't just for drifting,it is also beneficial in road racing.
Was just curious if you had a ballpark in relation to what other limited market mods like this cost, knowing the Mk3 crowd and its tendencies.

Anyway, I used to run 17x9.5 +50 up front with 275/40's, and while the grip was fantastic, you would occasionally hit the sway bar if you didn't know where you were limited on steering. Now on a stock width wheel, or one pushed out 15-25mm, I don't see this really being a problem. However, I know the drifter crowd seems to like to go a bit nuts on fitment. This is a design thing to keep in mind. ;)

I'm curious though, where would more angle than stock be useful in road racing? I'll admit I've never had my car on a track, but I can't say I've ever (aside from when I had the really wide wheels up front) ever wished for more angle to turn with in low speed or high speed situations. I'm trying to think of a track that would dictate such a need. I guess if one were to change the rack out for a quicker ratio, then more angle could come in handy, but I dunno. I figure if you need more angle to counter steer much in a road race, you're probably doing it wrong.

All that said, I'm always for expanding the Mk3 parts availability. :)

planemos

Apr 22, 2011
Slocan Park, BC, Canada
I don't know if I could ever afford these. Some Xecessive parts appear to be very expensive. But I do want more steering angle. And if they had some drop to them it would be cool. Also I'm happy that it would be closer than California, where most parts must come from for my car. It would save me personally for shipping costs :D

Jayhall

WHIP THE PISS OUT OF THEM
May 7, 2005
Surrey BC
Ive heard that some of the drifters arent even using sway bars these days. With everything else done to the suspension a good set up is able to easly compensate for the lack of sway bars.

yhatzee89

Joe Yantz
Aug 31, 2012
San Antonio, TX
If your totally redesigning the hub/knuckle, would you then also be able to change the caliper mounting location to allow, say, a set of brembo's off an evo or a similar type of retrofit/upgraded caliper...? I don't actually know, just throwing it out there...

mattsplat72

is sofa king
Jan 17, 2006
That's a good idea yhatzee.

as far as road racing, it is my experience that the Supra cannot turn in and make really tight turn as easily as I would like. It would appear that having more angle would allow you to make tighter corners. I could be wrong.

Poodles

I play with fire
Jul 22, 2006
Fort Worth, TX
Personally, if you're going to go through all this hassle, you might as well make it a lighter/stronger part as well. Less unsprung weight is always a good thing.

Poodles

I play with fire
Jul 22, 2006
Fort Worth, TX
Yeah, if you're basicly going to redesign it, there's a ton you could do while there.

- Different material to lower unsprung weight.
- Different mounting points for brake calipers for bolt on BBK (though honestly I dunno if this is a good idea as there is already a good selection of BBK's for our cars and the people that might buy this probably already have one of them.)
- Adjust position of the steering tie rod mount for lowered cars.

Make sure it has provisions for ABS cars as well, or you'd limit your market as well.

Steering knuckle replacement is extremely common in the off road/4x4 world, so you might have some sources there as well..

yhatzee89

Joe Yantz
Aug 31, 2012
San Antonio, TX
Poodles;1887763 said:
- Different mounting points for brake calipers for bolt on BBK (though honestly I dunno if this is a good idea as there is already a good selection of BBK's for our cars and the people that might buy this probably already have one of them.)
- Adjust position of the steering tie rod mount for lowered cars.

Make sure it has provisions for ABS cars as well, or you'd limit your market as well.

A very valid point, but what about those of us that aren't willing to drop 2-3K on a set of brakes that aren't PnP anyways? This would give us the option of having a lower cost, yet upgraded brake system...
As far as the ABS goes, what would be the difference between an equipped vs non-equipped version?

Poodles

I play with fire
Jul 22, 2006
Fort Worth, TX
yhatzee89;1887770 said:
A very valid point, but what about those of us that aren't willing to drop 2-3K on a set of brakes that aren't PnP anyways? This would give us the option of having a lower cost, yet upgraded brake system...

Most BBKs are bolt on so it really doesn't matter. The issue is that if you were to change the mounting points, you limit people's selection of brakes and give them only one option.

yhatzee89;1887770 said:
As far as the ABS goes, what would be the difference between an equipped vs non-equipped version?

There is a hole and boss on the knuckle for the sensor.