Modified Knuckles interest

yhatzee89

Joe Yantz
Aug 31, 2012
San Antonio, TX
Poodles;1887775 said:
Most BBKs are bolt on so it really doesn't matter. The issue is that if you were to change the mounting points, you limit people's selection of brakes and give them only one option.

There is a hole and boss on the knuckle for the sensor.

Oh I see, could you just make that standard or would it interfere with non-ABS brakes?
And I don't think I would limit that much at all, just pick a more standard sized mounting area that allows for the most options?

mattsplat72

is sofa king
Jan 17, 2006
Sedro Woolley, Washington, United States
Well with the brake caliper question , it would appear that the best route would be to emulate a different cars caliper locating points. Say a 240 or a MK4 so that you can just pop online and order a BBK kit for a much more supported car and it would be relatively easy to get replacement parts.

So far we have some good questions and some good ideas. Keep um coming guys.

ryan625

Sep 20, 2012
Lynnwood
I am curious about these as well. I am going to be drifting my car some, and may do a few track days...more angle is always good!

te72

Classifieds Moderator
Staff member
Mar 26, 2006
WHYoming
Poodles;1887724 said:
Personally, if you're going to go through all this hassle, you might as well make it a lighter/stronger part as well. Less unsprung weight is always a good thing.
Like I said, could really care less about the drifting aspect myself, but make this happen, and you WILL have my attention. ;)

I second what IJ said though. Frankly, if we're going to be spending decent money for a good product, I want to be able to scrutinize is and determine that it is indeed a good product. :)

hvyman

Dang Dude! No Way Man.
Staff member
Apr 17, 2007
Fullerton,CA
Should use stock caliper mounting points. The amount of cars with stock 13in brakes is few. And there calipers are expensive.

It's not hard to make a bracket for a different caliper. Most people just think its almost impossible.

yhatzee89

Joe Yantz
Aug 31, 2012
San Antonio, TX
They are so few because nothing matches the stock mounts. And as far as the bracket goes, if they are so easy to make why don't you see more MKIII's driving around with BBK's?

hvyman

Dang Dude! No Way Man.
Staff member
Apr 17, 2007
Fullerton,CA
Because most people think there not capable of doing it.

Takes some measuring. And best bet would to have a machine shop cut the brackets out of billet.

Also because nice calipers for generic use are around 250 each. Rotors cross drilled and slotted 100-500 each. It's expensive.

My roommate did it to his 240. All in all spent about 800$.

Also if you get the mounts to match a specific caliper it will then need specific spacing for a specific rotor. Prolly be more cost effective to get a stock hub made out of lighter material but modified in the steering part only.

Poodles

I play with fire
Jul 22, 2006
Fort Worth, TX
yhatzee89;1888601 said:
In my head I know your prob right, it just infuriates me with the lack of brakes options our cars have

There's actually a hell of a lot of options, but nobody wants to drop the cash. It's not like they're any more expensive than the BBK's for the MKIV Supra...

hvyman

Dang Dude! No Way Man.
Staff member
Apr 17, 2007
Fullerton,CA
Ya there like 2500. Same price as mk4. That's what good brakes cost. Brembo calipers aren't cheap. My roommate sold just calipers from a genesis for 1k. Slightly used.

te72

Classifieds Moderator
Staff member
Mar 26, 2006
WHYoming
yhatzee89;1888592 said:
They are so few because nothing matches the stock mounts. And as far as the bracket goes, if they are so easy to make why don't you see more MKIII's driving around with BBK's?
Generally speaking, us Mk3 guys are cheapasses with our cars. The car itself is a lot of bang for your buck these days, but most of them are maintenance deprived, meaning the intro price is low. Younger drivers pick them up, beat on them, realize how expensive it is to fix things, or that they're in way over their heads, and dump the cars. Happens all the time.

However, most of the nicer cars out there tend to have a nice brake setup sooner or later. :) Complete ARZ front and rear for the basic kit is something like $2500-3000, and more brakes than most people would ever truly need. Good to know that they are there and capable if you ever do though...

planemos

Apr 22, 2011
Slocan Park, BC, Canada
hvyman;1888597 said:
Also if you get the mounts to match a specific caliper it will then need specific spacing for a specific rotor. Prolly be more cost effective to get a stock hub made out of lighter material but modified in the steering part only.

And modified by raising the hub center if possible. It seems like it would be worth it because you wouldn't have to lower via springs/shocks as much. The car would be lower, the ride would stay the same. Pretty sure it would be better for the geometry too because the upper control arms would not be pointing towards the sky and everything. If that matters.

Poodles

I play with fire
Jul 22, 2006
Fort Worth, TX
planemos;1888803 said:
And modified by raising the hub center if possible. It seems like it would be worth it because you wouldn't have to lower via springs/shocks as much. The car would be lower, the ride would stay the same. Pretty sure it would be better for the geometry too because the upper control arms would not be pointing towards the sky and everything. If that matters.

Issue with that is that pretty much every aftermarket spring for our cars are lowering springs...

planemos

Apr 22, 2011
Slocan Park, BC, Canada
Hmmm ya. But it would mean that I would run my coilovers at highest ride height instead of lowest ride height. But ya I see your point about some people with only coils ending up way too low.

hvyman

Dang Dude! No Way Man.
Staff member
Apr 17, 2007
Fullerton,CA
I havt touched my spring perch for ride hieght. Meaning doesn't matter how high or low I still have the same suspension.